• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tricks and tips with magical items.

Draegn

Explorer
I once granted a sword that would do triple damage against anyone who had ever tried to harm an elf. Over time it would turn the wielder into a random kind of elf. The party thought it would be great to hand it off to the elvish ranger. They thought it fabulous to lay waste to orcs and the like. They were quite surprised when the sword began to constantly miss drow, for after all, drow are another kind of elf and the sword would never harm an elf regardless of which kind it was.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One classic was using Boots of Water Walking to run up the spout from a Decanter of Endless Water to get to a foe in the air/on a wall/across a hazard.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
One classic was using Boots of Water Walking to run up the spout from a Decanter of Endless Water to get to a foe in the air/on a wall/across a hazard.

Not as creative as that, but Boots of Spider Climbing and running up to the top of a dragon seems common-ish.

I used a staff of frost to create a spiral staircase from wall of ice to get me out of a tomb where the only exit was up.

A simple sack and mage hand moving slightly inside it, once gave me a powerful sleeping monster bluff

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Seeing as you seem to like those

If we move away from items and use utility cantrips

I once used prestidigitation to change the taste of my blood to something toxic to remove a stirge from my face. Not strictly RAW but the DM liked it so I got away with it. I then made said stirge smell toxic with the same cantrip and the swarm protected itself by killing that stirge ad flying out of the affected area.

Mixing Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation, the same PC intimidated a guard by placing three red dots on it's chest and bluffed that there were three mage snipers trained on him. The minor illusion part was the sound of sizzling as the dots were slowly burning into its armour.

I'm sure the community has loads of such combo's.

cheeseguy

First Post
Seeing as you seem to like those

If we move away from items and use utility cantrips

I once used prestidigitation to change the taste of my blood to something toxic to remove a stirge from my face. Not strictly RAW but the DM liked it so I got away with it. I then made said stirge smell toxic with the same cantrip and the swarm protected itself by killing that stirge ad flying out of the affected area.

Mixing Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation, the same PC intimidated a guard by placing three red dots on it's chest and bluffed that there were three mage snipers trained on him. The minor illusion part was the sound of sizzling as the dots were slowly burning into its armour.

I'm sure the community has loads of such combo's.
Inginious! Both of them!

Sent from my Z963VL using EN World mobile app

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Never got rules for construction in 4e, so I couldn't use it:
Cloak-plus-hood made of skunk pelts (trophy from the character's first adventure) with a tail attached on top of hood, can squirt you with a Troglodyte-like Odoriferous Aura that bothers only your enemies.

Message a spy looking in through the window at you, "I can see you out there."

I Illusion'ed my Ranger/Rogue (Arcane Trickster) to look like the bad guys' Executive Officer, walked into the Boss' office with the rest of my 'captured' group in tow, and started a 'who's in charge?' quarrel with him. When the Illusion came down was the group's signal to attack.

Pour a Potion of Gaseous Form down somebody else's throat and tell him he is going to fade away into nothing but mist forever, unless he tells you his secret.

Facing an Ice / Snow Monster? Light a candle, smash it down on an arrowhead, and ask the DM if you can do Fire damage to the monster.

Jump into a 30-foot-deep lake wearing Plate Metal armor ... and a Rope tied around your chestplate. (Make sure the strong guy has a tight grip on the other end!)

schnee

First Post
Two immovable rods, with chain stretched between them, inside a fog cloud to trip two Stone Giants that were chasing my very frightened Halfling down some stairs

Remove ads