Trip Attack

galaga88

Explorer
Alright, I know it's been asked a hundred times before, but I can't seem to find it right now. Do you have to use a weapon that mentions being able to deal out trip attacks to make a trip attack?

hong

WotC's bitch
No. If you don't have a trip weapon, you can still make trip attacks, you just don't get any special benefits while doing so.

Some people say that trip attacks are made unarmed by default, but I don't see any reason for that.

Ranger REG

Explorer
You can use any melee weapon, even unarmed, to trip someone. Unless otherwise noted, if you fail your trip attempt, your opponent can attempt a trip attack in response.

For those that say they are trip weapons, it means that should you fail to trip your opponent, you have the option of dropping said weapon before your opponent attempt to trip you in response.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Some weapons are clearly noted to be trip weapon in that thier description says that can used to trip, these weapon even have special ability in regards to tripping as being able to drop the weapon to avoid a counter-trip.

Obviously that means that all trip performed without such weapons are unarmed and thereby do provoke AoOs if you are not considered armed with your unarmed attacks.

hong

WotC's bitch
AGGEMAM said:
Some weapons are clearly noted to be trip weapon in that thier description says that can used to trip, these weapon even have special ability in regards to tripping as being able to drop the weapon to avoid a counter-trip.

Obviously that means that all trip performed without such weapons are unarmed and thereby do provoke AoOs if you are not considered armed with your unarmed attacks.

Well, that just means that you get a bennie when you use such weapons (and you don't have to do so either; it's just usually wise). It doesn't have to mean that you can't use other weapons.

A -> B does not imply !A -> !B.

AGGEMAM

First Post
hong said:
Well, that just means that you get a bennie when you use such weapons (and you don't have to do so either; it's just usually wise). It doesn't have to mean that you can't use other weapons.

A -> B does not imply !A -> !B.

Quite right!

But I have a very diffecult seeing how you could trip with a sap, for instance.

And how do you surpose you would trip anyone with a piercing weapon, anyway.

So logic dictates that if A=B, then B=A.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
AGGEMAM said:

Quite right!

But I have a very diffecult seeing how you could trip with a sap, for instance.

Maybe it's an animated sap, and it runs around under the guy's legs. :)

Hey, the rules are just an abstraction. They're going to have holes, and part of the DM's job is to fill those holes.

An example of the reverse situation: I don't see how you couldn't trip with a shortspear or quarterstaff, even though those aren't technically trip weapons. Heck, I could even see people tripping with a greatsword, by swinging them in a wide arc at someone's legs. Jump out of the way, or get your legs swept out from under you.

Xarlen

First Post
Look at it like this.

(DISCLAIMER: The following is flavor text.)
Grall uses his battle axe to make a trip attack. He leans forward and down, sweeping the weapon at Eron's feet, intent on hooking his leg to jerk it out from beneath his enemy.

Eron blocks the axe, and kicks Grall in the shoulder; since Grall was leaning forward and stooped, his balance is off, and he topples over.

hong

WotC's bitch
AGGEMAM said:

And how do you surpose you would trip anyone with a piercing weapon, anyway.

Poke between their legs, and lift?
Swing in a wide arc, as was mentioned before?
Thump them hard in the chest with the butt-end?

There are a number of ways you could visualise this. IIRC most martial arts fighting styles include techniques to knock opponents off their feet; and "martial arts" includes use of weapons as well.

So logic dictates that if A=B, then B=A.

??

AGGEMAM

First Post
Here are a few quotes from SRD

Because the chain can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, a trip attack can be made with it.

Flail, Dire: Use this weapon to make trip attacks.

Flail, Heavy or Light: Use this weapon to make trip attacks.

Halberd: Because of the hook on the back of the halberd, a character can use it to make trip attacks.

Because the whip can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, trip attacks can be made with it.

Note that all says that these weapons can be used to make trip attacks, and most even explain why they can be used to do it.

The special dropping the weapon to avoid counter-trips is just an added bonus.

Remove ads