Trip Attack

Kae'Yoss

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

But I have a very diffecult seeing how you could trip with a sap, for instance.

And how do you surpose you would trip anyone with a piercing weapon, anyway.

Tripping with a sap? Easy thing! Strike at the back of his knee! It will give way, and he'll fall.

Same goes with piercing weapons: strike his knees.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

Also in the FAQ there is the feat Great Throw description which implies that all trips are unarmed attacks if they are not made a trip weapon, since it effectively only lets you choose which area the oppenent is prone in within your threatened area.

Benefit: When you make a successful unarmed trip attack

That only says that you have to make a successful unarmed trip attack to use great throw, not that all trip attacks are unarmed. Indeed, it implies the opposite: if all trip attacks were unarmed, why reiterate it here in the feat, and never lose a word in the PHB where they explain trip attacks?

AGGEMAM

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Tripping with a sap? Easy thing! Strike at the back of his knee! It will give way, and he'll fall.

Same goes with piercing weapons: strike his knees.

However, this should provoke an AoO, since you are bending down to strike his knees with a tiny weapon, and besides it still doesn't explain the countertrip mechanism.

No, just follow the rules, please, they are much simpler.

Ranger REG

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:

Obviously that means that all trip performed without such weapons are unarmed and thereby do provoke AoOs if you are not considered armed with your unarmed attacks.
Sorry. Whether you are using a trip weapon or normal weapon, all trip attack are NOT considered unarmed and they DO NOT provoke AoO, unless there is an errata that I am not aware of.

A touch attack does not necessarily mean it is a unarmed attack. It is simply an attack that ignores armor because you are not attempting to cause damage by impact. Most of times a touch attack is used to deliver a special attack (e.g., a shocking grasp spell), other times it is an attempt to grapple your opponent.

See PH, page 128, Table 8-4: Miscellaneous Actions. It stated tripping an opponent do not provoke AoO.

kreynolds

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Quoting me out of context, pelise ...

He's not quoting you out of context. That's been your argument, that if you trip without a trip-savy weapon, you trigger an AoO, which simply isn't true.

Your other argument to reinforce that was to referrence to the Great Throw feat and it's mentioning of "When you make a successful unarmed trip attack". This merely states that the feat requires you to make an unarmed trip attack and it can't be used while armed.

Sorry, dude. You referrenced it. You argued it. You got shot down. Happens to the best of us. ;)

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

However, this should provoke an AoO, since you are bending down to strike his knees with a tiny weapon, and besides it still doesn't explain the countertrip mechanism.

Why AoO? You already get the counter. Being able to react to a single event twice without readying an action isn't.

And, BTW, I'm sticking to the rules: They don't mention anywhere that you have to be unarmed or use a special weapon for a trip attack. That's you hallucinating. But of course I may be wrong. In that case please tell me the exact location of the rule that tells me that I have to be undarmed to trip you (or use a special weapon for it), as the rule I know only speaks of touch attacks.

Valicor

First Post
First off,
Just a quick question, by the logic of some people, you cannot use a trip attempt with the weapon, unless it is in the weapons text. Now if you look at the following weapons;It does look as if you could only trip using them because it states they may be used for a trip attempt.

Chained Spike: Because the chain can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limbyou can make trip attacks. If you are being tripped during your attempt, you can avoidbeing tripped. PG 99

Flail heavy or Light: You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your attempt, you can drop the flail to avoid being tripped. PG 100

Guisarme: Because of a Guisarme's curved blade, you can also make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your attempt, you can drop guisarme to avoid beign tripped. PG 101

Halberd: Because of the hookon the back of the halberd you can use it to make trip attacks. if you are tripped during your own trip attempt you can drop the halberd to avoid being tripped. PG 101

Whip: Becuase the whip can wrap around an enemey's leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whipto avoid being tripped. PG 104

From the description it does say that these weapons can be used to make trip atatcks, the reason though that it makes special references to these weapons is because of the design of them. They have a special advantge over other weapons in a trip because of a hook or rapping affect, the character does not need to lunge as close into an aattempt as with a normal weapon. This is why he can drop the weapon to avoid the trip, because he doesn't get as close as with a standard weapon. making sense?

Secondly;

AGGEMAM said:
Some weapons are clearly noted to be trip weapon in that thier description says that can used to trip, these weapon even have special ability in regards to tripping as being able to drop the weapon to avoid a counter-trip.

Obviously that means that all trip performed without such weapons are unarmed and thereby do provoke AoOs if you are not considered armed with your unarmed attacks.

Did you read improved trip, information in the PHB on page 139. No where in there does it say that you provoke attacks of opportunity, also your logic that all trips are unarmed if flawedin my oppinion (not intending offence with this post). Acording to your argument unless the weapon states within its descritpion that it can make a trip attempt, you cannot. Unarmed Strike is considered a weapon. No were in its text does it reference to trip atatcks.

Unarmed Strike A medium-size haracter deals 1d3 points of subdual damage with an unarmed strike, which may be a punch kick, head butt, or other type of attack. A small character deals 1d2 points of subdual damage. the damage from an unarmed strike is considered weapon damage for the purposes of effects that give you a bonus to weapon damage.

You can use the Weapon Finese feat (see page 86) to applu your dexterity modifer instead of yoru strength modifier to attack roll with an unarmed strike. PG 103

No where in the weapon description does it say you can make a trip attack, to under the explanation you provide, unarmed does not work either. How does this make sense?

I say that these weaposn with special reference to trips is simply because they have a special circumstance, not that only these weapons may be used to trip atatcks

jonrog1

First Post
You know, this has been bugging us all for ages. Is there no d*mn official word on this question, as it pops up with the same regularity as Madonna pregnancy rumors?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

Nothing in reality explains the countertrip mechanism. The main thing I pull from these arguments every time they pop up is that the trip rules suck on ice. They are perhaps the worst and most moronic trip rules ever written for a game system, or at least the worst I've ever seen. The only thing that actually sucks more is when a system doesn't have any mechanic at all for it.

Remove ads