Trip Attack

IceBear

Explorer
But no where in the unarmed attack description does it say that you can make trip attacks, and yet the great throw feat implies that it can be used so. Also, why make the distinction between tripping and tripping with a trip weapon in the rules if you could only trip with trip weapons.

If you don't want someone tripping with a sap, then in that case they are performing a leg sweep or something. If they have a quarter staff (which I'm strongly considering adding to the list of trip weapons) then they stick it between their legs and trip, etc.

IceBear

hong

WotC's bitch
IceBear said:
But no where in the unarmed attack description does it say that you can make trip attacks, and yet the great throw feat implies that it can be used so.

However, by the same token, the Knockdown feat allows a trip attempt after an attack with any weapon that deals 10+ points of damage.

Also, why make the distinction between tripping and tripping with a trip weapon in the rules if you could only trip with trip weapons.

Because the designers slipped up? As mentioned before, just because weapon A can be used for B, doesn't imply other weapons can't be used for B as well.

If you don't want someone tripping with a sap, then in that case they are performing a leg sweep or something. If they have a quarter staff (which I'm strongly considering adding to the list of trip weapons) then they stick it between their legs and trip, etc.

If a quarterstaff, why not a (short or half-) spear? It's pretty much the same thing, except the spear has a pointy tip, and spear use is a long-standing tradition in many martial arts. If a spear, why not a greatsword? As mentioned before, an accepted technique for greatsword use was as a quasi-polearm, using the sword's length to strike opponents outside the reach of their own weapons. If you can sweep with a staff, you can certainly sweep with a sword.

hong

WotC's bitch
IceBear said:
Er, hmmm, hong, I was agreeing with your arguments :)

Errr.... HA HA! You have fallen for my DELIBERATE MISTEAK, "IceBear", if that is your REAL NAME! So do I once again prove my stupendous intellect compared to you primitive carbon-based lifeforms!!1! Or something.

IceBear

Explorer
hong said:

Errr.... HA HA! You have fallen for my DELIBERATE MISTEAK, "IceBear", if that is your REAL NAME! So do I once again prove my stupendous intellect compared to you primitive carbon-based lifeforms!!1! Or something.

I'm silicon based :) But, yes, yours is the superior intellect Khan :)

IceBear

Kae'Yoss

First Post
There are no rules that exactly state it one way or the other. But also, the word "unarmed" isn't mentioned a single time in the trip rules. Bloody hells, I think we need errata / sage advice.

Junkheap

First Post
Honestly i don't see a problem here. If it was a general rule that every weapon can make a trip attack, it wouldn't need to put it in descriptors of the specific weapons. It makes absolutely no sense for them to put exeptions to common knowledge. Common knowledge being(supposedely)every weapon can make trip attacks.

To me if they intended every weapon to be able to trip, then why state it at all under any weapons?

6pakofdwarves

First Post
trippin

ok, let me reiterate. I think when you make a normal trip attack it is with both weapon and body, that is why you can be tripped in retaliation. When using weapons you can trip with you are making a weapon only trip attack and can therefore choose to drop the weapon rather than be tripped. That is why some weapons have a special description for tripping. Also if you couldonly trip with those weapons it would say it in the trip action description.

Remove ads