D&D 5E Troll-blooded fast-healing characters?

So thinking of the option of having a Troll-blooded character whether as a PC race/lineage or something that can be gained somehow like through a supernatural gift or a subclass.

I think the main appeal mechanically is the ability to have something similar to the Troll's fast healing abilities. But fast healing might seem very powerful for PCs to have, though it also isn't as powerful as one might think it is if it's something like: heal 1 hp a round. So what might be a balanced implementation of having such an ability?

aco175

Legend
This is something that makes you able to start each fight at full HP. You will not not need to rest or spend HD to gain healing. You will never need to roll a death save since you gain 1 HP and can not get up and fight another round.

I'm not sure on how to balance this, I find it more powerful than I think. Doing away with HD does not matter. Taking away half the HP of the character, makes him fall down more. Not allowing healing spells to work on him, makes him fall down more. Maybe making spells or elemental damage not allow healing like a troll?

This is something that makes you able to start each fight at full HP. You will not not need to rest or spend HD to gain healing. You will never need to roll a death save since you gain 1 HP and can not get up and fight another round.
What about something that works similar to subclass ability of the Champion where Fast Healing only kicks in when HP is between 1 and half your HP total? They are Troll-blooded, but not fully Trolls after all.

Never thought of the death save though, but maybe being Troll-blooded gives one advantage to death saves.

What is the actual intent behind the concept? is it to have infinite but slow healing, healing in combat, or something else?

Ability to spend HD during combat like the Dwarf feat could be an idea, alongside advantage on Death Saves and perhaps ability to regrow lost extremities over Long Rests?

Fanaelialae

Legend
What about something that works similar to subclass ability of the Champion where Fast Healing only kicks in when HP is between 1 and half your HP total? They are Troll-blooded, but not fully Trolls after all.

Never thought of the death save though, but maybe being Troll-blooded gives one advantage to death saves.
That's the direction I would go with it. It's a nice perk for a front line character. Assuming you have some time, you can get back to half hp, sparing the cleric a few heals or yourself a few Hit Dice. Particularly after the first few levels, it's likely to have little to no effect in combat IMO, so I might even make it a short rest ability to reduce fiddly tracking.

aco175

Legend
To make things simple, you get to heal when you damage an opponent. That may sound a bit vampiric over troll though. I was trying to think simple mechanic that kicks in when you hit over remembering something like half HP. Maybe when you critical you gain 1d6 HP or 1/level.

Character concept wise, it could of course be someone who simply is part-Troll part-Human/whatever. But it could also be someone who has been able to invoke or receive the blessing of the "Undying beast". Or maybe it's an Alchemist/Artificer or Scientist/Wizard type, that researched their formula which had a warning of "may include side effects" but decided to experiment on themselves anyways.

Shiroiken

Legend
Without some kind of significant downside, any kind of free, always on healing is way too strong. I think giving bonus healing during a short rest or when otherwise gaining HP would be fine instead. you still heal quickly, but you have to spend something, even if just time, to gain the benefit.

Remove ads