• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trolls and magic missiles

TyCage

First Post
Does a magic missile do normal damage to a troll? I ruled it did the other night, but now I'm not so sure.

Both my players and I thought it did, so I didn't look it up, but now it seems that it's only fire and acid. I know it only mentions fire and acid in the MM (since I've looked it up now), but I was wondering if anyone remembers a reference that would support magic missiles doing damage.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out why my players and I all remembered it the way we did. Were we just wrong or can I just not find what we were remembering.

Thanks for the help.

Oni

First Post
The only way to deal normal damage to a creature with regeneration is to deal it one of the damage types listed as appropriate for the monster.

Hurm, gives me an idea, a sword that bypasses regen and stops fast healing, based on grimwald's grey mantle.

Belares

First Post
Magic missle is just that..a MAGIC missle. It will do damage unless you have SR, but since trolls dont then it does damage. Also it is not fire or acid so the troll can regenerate the damage.

Corwin

Explorer
You were probably confusing regeneration with DR.

DR is indeed ignored by spells (sucjh as MM). Regen, however, is not.

Actually, I've observed this to be quite a common mistake, so don't feel so bad.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think your best hint is that the description of the magic missile spel says that it does not damage objects. It could not, for example, be cast at a door. It does not cause any sort of named damage, other than "force."

Therefore , if Fire or Acid are the only things that work, then MM's still do damage, but it is only subdual damage.

Tylias

First Post
Re: So now the hard question

twjensen said:

So what happens if you cut off a troll's head? :p

Dunno, but I'd rule that it was blinded, deafened, and had its intelligence lowered to 1 (or even 0) until it regenerated all of its hit points left.

I don't think it would actually kill the troll, though. They're one of those really 'hack 'em apart, an' nothin' happens' type monsters.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: So now the hard question

twjensen said:

So what happens if you cut off a troll's head? :p

The head dies, and the troll grows a new one in 3d6 minutes.

Alternatively, if you cut the rest of the troll up into little pieces, all the pieces die and the head grows a new body in 3d6 minutes. :)

Remove ads