• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Tropes of the Nentir Vale

Undrave

Legend
And as I prefer it. I've always found nonsensical that the forces of the good aligned planes are portrayed as unable to beat the evil forces for no apparent reason. That's one of the reasons I dislike Planescape and it's Great Wheel.

The 4e Astral Plane had more interesting and nuanced politics. Sometimes, gods align on different issues in ways other than pure alignment.

I also believe that, in 4e, the gods trapped Asmodeus in his domain as punishment for killing his original god.

I feel like I remember 4E Bane was both said to have been one of a number of divine brothers who killed one of his siblings and also an ascended mortal. The 4E Tomb of Horrors (which is much more than just an adaptation of the original adventure) has one section with the graves of dead gods, including the sibling Bane was said to have killed.

EDIT: Just looked into it. In Pluton there's a shrine to a dead god called Tuern who is said to be the brother of Kord and Bane (the latter of which killed Tuern).

Also of note in 4E's Tomb of Horrors are a shrine to a forgotten goddess of rot and decay hypothesized to have had a connection to primeval forests or the Underdark (maybe Zuggtmoy is the "remains" of this goddess, bereft of her former divine spark and the memory of her former life; this is the only shrine dedicated to an unknown deity in the adventure) and an archfey wielder of poison and psychic attacks named Hespotherad, who as far as I can tell is only mentioned online in exactly one source: Hespotherad

Last edited:

I feel like I remember 4E Bane was both said to have been one of a number of divine brothers who killed one of his siblings and also an ascended mortal. The 4E Tomb of Horrors (which is much more than just an adaptation of the original adventure) has one section with the graves of dead gods, including the sibling Bane was said to have killed.
The Deities and Demigods article on Bane talks about his “brothers,” but I thought he killed them both. Though it has been a long time since I read that article

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover

EDIT: Just looked into it. In Pluton there's a shrine to a dead god called Tuern who is said to be the brother of Kord and Bane (the latter of which killed Tuern).

Also of note in 4E's Tomb of Horrors are a shrine to a forgotten goddess of rot and decay (maybe Zuggtmoy is the "remains" of this goddess, bereft of memory of her former life; it would help explain her rivalry with Lolth) and an archfey master of poison and psychic attacks named Hespotherad, who as far as I can tell is only mentioned online in exactly one source: Hespotherad

Man, I need to read the full adventure!

Remove ads