D&D 4E Tropes of the Nentir Vale

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Exactly So.

Nentir Vale scholars probably argue endlessly over this, with each faction bringing heaps of ancient documents written by prophets and mystics and supposedly this scroll here was handed to St. Herkamer by an angel of Prior and no you're wrong, Asmodeus is actually He-Who-Was after drinking a Jeckyl and Hyde potion and the Shadowfell is real but the Feywild is a myth and that's exactly right except the opposite--you get the idea.

I don't think it's that disorganized, tho. We know the myths were organized and categorized enough for them to have a nearly complete monomyth of the Dawn War, even with all the divergent records and apocryphal stuff.

I guess this is because those myths were somehow keep alive in places such as Argent (from Revenge of the Giants), a city built just after the gods left the World to protect it from external threats. A few gods weren't revered in Argent, tho, because they didn't want to be part of the Paragon Compact. Bane and Asmodeus among them. So, it's understandable we have problems with their lore.

I guess, however, that any organized effort to categorize the myths and legends of the gods died with Nerath. Unless the players want to undertake this enterprise themselves...

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
As I understood it, Tuern was a bit of the Heironeous to Bane's Hextor.

Worked out pretty well, since chivalrous knight characters that might have worshiped Heironeous in 3e worship Bahamut in 4e, instead.

I love that 4e has such a tight pantheon with minimal overlap, except when it comes to all the dead deities, vestiges, elder evils, primordials, archfey, dark lords, demon lords, devil archdukes, primal spirits, dragon kings - the overlaps in domains of influence come less from the active pantheon of gods and more from the other powers of the cosmos.

Zeromaru X

As I understood it, Tuern was a bit of the Heironeous to Bane's Hextor.

I don't think so. Tuern is described as undisciplined and unruly. In the "orthodox" version, Bane killed Tuern because Tuern's behavior usually botched Bane's plans during the Dawn War (though, it seems this was deliberate most of the time). In the "pseudo-FR" version, the mortal Bane won because Tuern wasn't competent enough to defeat Bane and his more disciplined forces (this also applies to the "orthodox" version).

Guess a more fitting equivalent to Heironeus would be Amoth, the god of justice who existed before Bahamut.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I don't think so. Tuern is described as undisciplined and unruly. In the "orthodox" version, Bane killed Tuern because Tuern's behavior usually botched Bane's plans during the Dawn War (though, it seems this was deliberate most of the time). In the "pseudo-FR" version, the mortal Bane won because Tuern wasn't competent enough to defeat Bane and his more disciplined forces (this also applies to the "orthodox" version).

Guess a more fitting equivalent to Heironeus would be Amoth, the god of justice who existed before Bahamut.

Thanks for the correction. I guess Tuern was more akin to Kord then? Do you remember if some stories describe Tuern and Kord as one and the same?

I don't have my 4e books on me, unfortunately (they're in storage with my folks since I mostly play 5e), so I can't reference for lore except for my archive of Dragon articles and the few that had official pdfs before that plug was pulled.

Zeromaru X

Kord is described as the third brother -- collectively Achra (Bane), Tuern and Kord are known as the Battle Brothers. However, other myths have Kord as the son of Khala (the winter goddess). This makes Kord potentially the son of Zehir, as he was Khala's. Perhaps all the three were the sons of Khala and Zehir. At least, the goblins like this take.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Khala's profile was taken by The Raven Queen, but I can't recall how, or if there's any traditions that believe that Nera = Khala. In such a tradition, would Zehir and Nerull be synoymous?

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
Khala's profile was taken by The Raven Queen, but I can't recall how, or if there's any traditions that believe that Nera = Khala. In such a tradition, would Zehir and Nerull be synoymous?

I know that the article "Channel Divinity: Zehir, the Midnight Serpent" in Dragon 415 says Khala was the last ally of Zehir and was slain by the Raven Queen. The article also says any worshippers of Zehir who also follow another god will become sacrifices to the Midnight Serpent.

Last edited:

Zeromaru X

Khala was killed by the Raven Queen and other allied gods (including Bane, Moradin and Kord) during the War of Winter, a conflict that took place after the end of the Dawn War. This war, that seems to be unknown knowledge in "civilized" realms but known to the followers of the primal spirits, is the actual reason the spirits chose to expel the gods from the mortal world.

This lore was published in Divine Power and Primal Power, though there are a few Dragon articles expanding upon it (there is an article about dwarves who revere Kord for his role in this war, for instance).

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I know that the article "Channel Divinity: Zehir, the Midnight Serpent" in Dragon 415 says Khala was the last ally of Zehir and was slain by the Raven Queen. The article also says any worshippers of Zehir who also follow another god will become sacrifices to the Midnight Serpent.
Who may or may not actually be the Nerathi version of Dendar, right?

Remove ads