• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 and Ptolus

mrjam

Explorer
I and my group are ready to start a new Ptolus campaign.
Our last campaign was a Dragonlance campaign using D&D 3.5, and we found the system too slow in combat for our tastes. Furthermore I wouldn't use minis in the new campaign.

Ptolus is really a wonderful product and setting. I'm planning to run The Night of Dissolution and The Banewarrens modules, and I would like alternate dungeon bashing with politics, intrigue and investigation. I fear that using D&D 3.5 we go to spend most of the time in combat.

So I'm thinking to use True20 instead of D&D. After an in-depth reading of the rules, my impression is that the system should be faster than D&D 3.5, thanks to the streamlined combat, reduced book-keeping (no hit points and experience points), fewer "spells" (powers) to remember, so less book consultation on the game table.

Could anyone that played the system tell me if my non-playtesting impressions are correct?

Could True20 simulates well the D&D fantasy style? My biggest concern is magic item rarity in True20: does the system break using the supposed D&D (and Ptolus) quantity of magic items?

Do I risk to loss some aspects of the Ptolus flavor?

Should I expect the conversion from D20 to True20 of the aforementionend modules to be difficult and time consuming, or simple and fast?

Thanks in advance.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
True 20 is less record-keeping, but combat is all that much faster than 3E, at least in my experience. However, pick up FantasyPaths, which will make any conversion of characters so a lot quicker.

smootrk

First Post
True20 is really just as complex as standard d20/D&D, but the complexities have been shifted around. Some things simplified, while others made a little less intuitive. Net effect is similar degree of complexity.

If you are wanting a truly less complex rule set, while keeping some of the best aspects of D20, then you might want to also check out the Castle & Crusades rules. I also like True20 rules, but given your expressed concerns, you might be disappointed with True20 with expectations of an 'easier game'.

iwatt

First Post
True20 is faster and easier to run than 3.5, no questions asked.

The toughness mechanic is clunkier than hitpoints though, and it takes some getting used to. Personally I use Baduin's variant:

Baduin said:
The Damage Track levels remain as in original - Hurt, Wounded, Disabled and Dying. There are NO penalties to Toughness for any injury.
There are 3 Hurt boxes, 2 Wounded boxes, 1 Disabled Box and 1 Dying Box. If a target suffers a result for which all boxes are already checked off, check off the next highest result.

This has worked really well for me as GM and my players have also enjoyed it. YMMV

With respect to magic items and True20: there's a couple of solutions:

1) Get rid of the stat boosters (amulet of natural armor, rings of protection, etc), and keep the flavorful ones (decanters of endless water, ring of energy resistance, etc..). Personally, for magic weapons, I'd simply give them cool abilities and a simple +1 attack and +1 damage. Not go into the whole +1, +2, +X arms race.

2)Get Liber Artefactorum. It has rules for making magic items compatible with those found in 3.5.

Jack Morgan

First Post
iwatt said:
True20 is faster and easier to run than 3.5, no questions asked.

The toughness mechanic is clunkier than hitpoints though, and it takes some getting used to. Personally I use Baduin's variant:

I definitely agree with the main point. There is also a revised damage track explanation on the Green Ronin website. I know I'm in the minority, but i don't find the damage track any harder to deal with than endlessly checking off and replacing hit points, but that's probably because I'm accustomed to it now.

wedgeski

Adventurer
mrjam said:
Do I risk to loss some aspects of the Ptolus flavor?
Playing Ptolus in anything except 3rd Edition will cost you flavour, because it basically *is* 3rd Edition, all-inclusive. Nevertheless I wish you luck!

mrjam

Explorer
wedgeski said:
Playing Ptolus in anything except 3rd Edition will cost you flavour, because it basically *is* 3rd Edition, all-inclusive. Nevertheless I wish you luck!

I've readed an official Arcana Evolved conversion on the Monte Cook website, so I was thinking that converting Ptolus wasn't a "blasfemus" act :)

Specifically, what aspects of Ptolus I'm going to sacrifice using True20?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
mrjam said:
I've readed an official Arcana Evolved conversion on the Monte Cook website. . .

Arcana Evolved is an alternate PHB for D&D, so while it's a bit different, it's still ultimately D&D ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads