• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to make a monk, cant figure out feats..

Rhajing

First Post
Me and some friends have been playing a campaign for a little while now and its been fun. Last session tho my sorcerer was killed by a hydra... So i have been tasked with re-rolling, i decided to play a monk..

I am having trouble picking out feats for my guy, Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.. :D

I am level 10 right now..
His stats are as such:
Str - 16
Dex -16
Con - 13
Int - 12
Wis - 18
Cha - 12

pawsplay

Hero
In the absence of other ranged options, I tend to recommend Point Plank Shot and Far Shot, to be used in conjunction with shuriken. It may not seem like much, but having a ranged attack is definitely better than not having one, and shuriken offer several advantages. That leaves two discretionary feats plus your bonus ones.. three if human.

Feats: Stunning Fist (B), Deflect Arrows (B), Improved Trip (B), Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Blind-Fight, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Weapon Focus (shuriken)

Dandu

First Post
In the absence of other ranged options, I tend to recommend Point Plank Shot and Far Shot, to be used in conjunction with shuriken. It may not seem like much, but having a ranged attack is definitely better than not having one, and shuriken offer several advantages.
Shuriken: 1d2 damage, 10 ft range increment.

Note:
Range Increment

Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll. A thrown weapon has a maximum range of five range increments. A projectile weapon can shoot out to ten range increments.
Shuriken

A shuriken is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding shuriken special options. A shuriken can’t be used as a melee weapon.
Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.
Ammunition

Projectile weapons use ammunition: arrows (for bows), bolts (for crossbows), or sling bullets (for slings). When using a bow, a character can draw ammunition as a free action; crossbows and slings require an action for reloading. Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.
Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them (see Masterwork Weapons), and what happens to them after they are thrown.
Shurikens are underwhelming. Investing two feats to use them is a poor idea.

Now, for good advice, you should go check out the Monk's Handbook.

Last edited:

Starbuck_II

First Post
Me and some friends have been playing a campaign for a little while now and its been fun. Last session tho my sorcerer was killed by a hydra... So i have been tasked with re-rolling, i decided to play a monk..

I am having trouble picking out feats for my guy, Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.. :D

I am level 10 right now..
His stats are as such:
Str - 16
Dex -16
Con - 13
Int - 12
Wis - 18
Cha - 12

What Source books allowed?
Good feats:
1) Snap Kick from Tome of Battle (gives extra unarmed strike when ever you hit, including when charge). Need BAB +6.
2) Sapphire Fist (Magic of Incarnum): Bonus to damage and DC to a Stunning Fist (equal to essentia invested). You get 1 essentia to invest.
3) Weakening Touch (Complete warrior): No save, - 6 penalty to Str for 1 minute (but unlike Stunning Fist causes no damage). Uses up a useage of Stunning Fist.
4) Pain Touch (Complete warrior): One rd after stunned, they are nasaeated 1 rd (which means they don't take standard actions).
5) Extra Stunning (Complete warrior): More stunning Fist uses.

What kind of Monk are you thinking of being?
Debiliatater, tripper, etc:
Because Weakening touch has low requirements and works without fail if you hit.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When it comes to ranged attacks for my monks, I generally go with Crossbows, Javelins, slings and alchemical grenades- you know, alchemical fire, tanglefoot bags, and whatever else gets cooked up in those labs. (Depending upon your DM, you may even be allowed to use alchemical grenades with your sling.)

Some races, like Elves, have racial proficiency with nice ranged weapons, so pay attention to that.

If I have access to DCv1, I'll sometimes use Ring the Golden Bell (allowing Unarmed Strikes at range).

More fun can be found in the Monk Database in my sig.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What Source books allowed?
Good feats:
1) Snap Kick from Tome of Battle (gives extra unarmed strike when ever you hit, including when charge). Need BAB +6.
4) Pain Touch (Complete warrior): One rd after stunned, they are nasaeated 1 rd (which means they don't take standard actions).

Those are good. Not familiar w/ Magic of Incarnum so no comment there.

The best monk feat is Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), IMO.

Nedz

First Post
Its a little unusual to se a monk with str so Power atack has to be a consideration. You would only really use this when you have snuck up on some one or you have already stunned them.
All the usual Trip Feats are worth a look Combat Expertise for Improved Trip, and then Lightning Reflexes for Prone attack should it all go wrong. There are many other feats in this tree.
The Combat Reflexes tree is also worth a look especially with feats like defensive throw. The idea with this one is that you move past someone to provoke an AoO and when they miss trip and then (hopefully) hit them. Ypu can drop a whole line like this if you are lucky.

BENINHB

First Post
Didnt know if your Human or not so i didn't include the extra feat, If you are Human i like Able Learner as that first feat to give you access to Use Magic Device as a class skill. this is a huge bonus since you can buff yourself and have a lot of extra utility abilities.

Level 1: Improved Natural Attack
Monk 1: Stunning Fist
Monk 2: Combat Reflexes
Level 3: Dodge
Monk 6: Improved Trip
Level 6: Defensive Throw
Level 9: Power Attack (to follow up on tripped opponents) or Pain Touch

Get a Tripping Tripping reach weapon (I like the Guisarme) then trip and follow up with a free Power Attack. Reach weapons have no draw backs for a monk since you can use Unarmed Strikes against adjacent spaces. A two handed weapon also magnifies your power attack greater than your unarmed strike.

Defensive Throw is great since it gives you a free trip attempt against anyone who misses you in melee and Improved Trip gives you a follow up attack if you're successful with the trip. With Wis, Dex, Monk bonus AC and magic items you should have a pretty high AC to take advantage of this.

A tactic I often use effectively is tripping with an AoO and then on my turn 5ft stepping up to them and Flurry stomping them while they are prone. Defensive Throw also sets this up a lot.

this is roughly the build for my monk but after lvl 6 I took my monk to Psionic Fist and use Psionic Powers to buff myself instead of UMD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads