D&D General trying to make an alien-themed race but they keep turning into elves, help.

Undrave

Legend
I keep trying to make a fantasy race and whenever I think about it too long it just dissolves in t a type of elf, which is fundamentally a problem as I am not an elf guy.
more exactly I am trying to make something vaguely space alien-themed and not an evil monster race so I keep remaking the idealised other that is the elf by accident, can someone tell me what the limits of elfdom are so I can succeed in my goal?
given I am trying to make one that is not a brute but mystical I keep running into this problem?

I mean... space operas don't have a great track record avoiding elves either.
Vulcans and Romulans are (accidentally?) space elves.
Minbari are (definitely not accidentally) space elves.
Na'vi are space elves.
I don't know how big a problem you really have.
What about the Asgards from Stargate?

(and oh no I've just described Yoda - who is basically a space elf.)
Yoda is a Space Gnome.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Wait. Didnt one of your posts want a fantasy alien race?
yes but I want them to move from prime to prime, as we have sufficient planer life as it is.
What about the Asgards from Stargate?

Yoda is a Space Gnome.
asgards made it as an image for space elves and are too elfy in behaviour, looks they are fine but I find greys overdone myself, plus they creep me out.

yoda is clearly a space goblin given how the young of his people act, he was the top preditor of that swamp.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
your point was looking at it from the wrong perspective, in essence
How?

You’re calling the non-elf race (animist spiritual beliefs, human lifespan +/-, ascetic lifestyle, minimalist aesthetic) very elvish. Hence, my puzzlement.

Regardless of the species’ phenotype, they have more in common with Buddhists, or Shinto faiths and Amish lifestyles than anything related to elves.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

Talk enough that if you see one that people had the same reaction to the moon cactuars in FF14: calling them L o n g m a n and dredging up an amazing set of Japanese commercials
I have searched the image you seem to mean I do like the long ness of arms but I have to avoid the slender look as it is too elf.
1658221624199.png

How?

You’re calling the non-elf race (animist spiritual beliefs, human lifespan +/-, ascetic lifestyle, minimalist aesthetic) very elvish. Hence, my puzzlement.

Regardless of the species’ phenotype, they have more in common with Buddhists, or Shinto faiths and Amish lifestyles than anything related to elves.
the point is that it is being artificially defined as non-elf as I genuinely remember someone having done the near exact thing with wood elves before and besides I was not asking for the nature-loving variant, I am looking for a city building type as I have my own idea for a nature-loving variant which no wood elf can ever be normally.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Being nature loving like wood elves is not exactly the same as being an animist trying to be minimally harmful to the world as they can be.

While, as I stated, this race does not quarry tons of stone to build cities, it does not follow that they do not build cities.

While I stated they don’t clear forests to make farms, it does not follow that they do not farm.

But hey, if you don’t dig them, so be it!

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I have searched the image you seem to mean I do like the long ness of arms but I have to avoid the slender look as it is too elf.
You gotta understand how L O N G these boys are. They tower over the FF14 equivilent of elves, who people already call giraffes due to their long neck.

Plus, space cacti

Mind of tempest

You gotta understand how L O N G these boys are. They tower over the FF14 equivilent of elves, who people already call giraffes due to their long neck.

Plus, space cacti
so like endermen tall?
Being nature loving like wood elves is not exactly the same as being an animist trying to be minimally harmful to the world as they can be.

While, as I stated, this race does not quarry tons of stone to build cities, it does not follow that they do not build cities.

While I stated they don’t clear forests to make farms, it does not follow that they do not farm.

But hey, if you don’t dig them, so be it!
look it is more that what your describing is an interpretation of wood elves as loving nature can have many forms, from hippy, environmentalist or even hunters as all clearly love nature.

should I write down what I do have?

Remove ads