TSR TSR CON is running at the same time as Gary Con in Lake Geneva

OakenHart

Adventurer
I know it's ultimately none of my business, but it bugs me that Ernie Gygax is letting LaNasa push him into moving directly against his own brother. There's no reason for them to put this on the exact same weekend as Gary Con, and he oughta be able to put his foot down. Whatever his feelings on WotC or modern roleplayers, Luke is still his brother. Family's more important than whatever politics he wants to push.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I know it's ultimately none of my business, but it bugs me that Ernie Gygax is letting LaNasa push him into moving directly against his own brother. There's no reason for them to put this on the exact same weekend as Gary Con, and he oughta be able to put his foot down. Whatever his feelings on WotC or modern roleplayers, Luke is still his brother. Family's more important than whatever politics he wants to push.
They're not conceptualizing it as an attack, but as synergistically riding on GaryCon's coattails. Ernie thinks he's entitled to a share of his dad's legacy, no doubt feels jealous that Luke runs that successful enterprise, and undoubtedly feels like it's just good marketing to schedule at the same time, when a bunch of people he thinks are his natural market/customers are going to be in town anyway.

Unfortunately, his company specifically marketing to anti-vax/mask people implicitly makes pushing for crossover attendance to some extent a literal threat to the health and safety of the gamers attending GaryCon, especially older ones.

Wouldn't it be awful if their deliberate flouting of Covid precautions wound up getting one of the remaining old-school legends who attend GaryCon sick, like Dave Wesely, Tim Kask, Darlene, or Mike Carr? Gods forfend, but it's not implausible.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

At a certain point, you have to be judged by your own actions and your associations. I think Ernie Gygax has been given enough rope on this issue, and has chosen with whom he wishes to hang.

I remember that Rob Kuntz tried reaching out to him ... oh, seven months ago ...

It didn't go well, and this is, I believe, his final thought-

I'm not giving up but I am not doing anymore. He doesn't need someone looking over his shoulder to instruct him in the right course to take. He is not infirm or stupid. This whole thing is becoming a tragedy. I get the sense that people want him to come clean, to start over, but even with that, with that hope, a little bit of synergy, it all hangs over a precipice. Makes one consider Fate if it wasn't so morbidly comedic at this point.

Sacrosanct

Legend
At a certain point, you have to be judged by your own actions and your associations. I think Ernie Gygax has been given enough rope on this issue, and has chosen with whom he wishes to hang.

I remember that Rob Kuntz tried reaching out to him ... oh, seven months ago ...

It didn't go well, and this is, I believe, his final thought-

I'm not giving up but I am not doing anymore. He doesn't need someone looking over his shoulder to instruct him in the right course to take. He is not infirm or stupid. This whole thing is becoming a tragedy. I get the sense that people want him to come clean, to start over, but even with that, with that hope, a little bit of synergy, it all hangs over a precipice. Makes one consider Fate if it wasn't so morbidly comedic at this point.
Yeah, part of me is like, "I still believe Ernie can salvage this!". But then I have to ask myself why I think that. Is it because that's how Ernie is? Or is it because of my own fondness for nostalgia?

I think it's the latter. I will always be willing to support someone who wants and makes an effort to be better, but he's a grown man, and it's not my place nor my responsibility to stick my nose in his business if he doesn't want it. He's a grown adult, and I'm not that important lol.

Point conceded there. Though there are things in the books that could be interpreted as being informed by her opinions, it certainly wasn't stuff I noticed before she started tweeting it from the rooftops.

JKR was sensible enough to rake in the money before expressing her opinions.

Also, she actually produced some books.

Better use an awl pike just to be on the safe side.
I kinda do want to poke the Hobby Shop with a 10' pole. Not go in, just poke the building.

I think many of us have no small degree of nostalgia tied to the Gygax name and early D&D and TSR history. While Ernie has seemed affable enough when I've heard him speak, he's remained silent on all the horrible stuff his business partners have said. His own apology was a non-apology. You can judge a person by the company they keep. And whether it's LaNasa, Poire, Dineheart, whoever was doing not-TSR's social media, or the YouTubers he's been interviewed by, that company paints a very specific picture. While he could very well be being taken advantage of by people that just want to capitalize on his name, he is indeed an adult and capable of making his own decisions, deciding right and wrong.

Yeah, part of me is like, "I still believe Ernie can salvage this!". But then I have to ask myself why I think that. Is it because that's how Ernie is? Or is it because of my own fondness for nostalgia?

I think it's the latter. I will always be willing to support someone who wants and makes an effort to be better, but he's a grown man, and it's not my place nor my responsibility to stick my nose in his business if he doesn't want it. He's a grown adult, and I'm not that important lol.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
On the subject or Ernie. I met him at the last Gary Con in the before times (Before his association with LaNassa had come to the fore). He was affable enough when the group I was with interacted with him in the hall. With that said, I really cannot say I know him well enough to remotely speak to his motivations and drives. I have some ideas on the subject, but they are just uninformed speculation at this point...

What I do know is, while he may be influenced by the company he keeps, he is a grown-assed man and he is responsible for the decisions he makes. I agree with Rob Kuntz, Ernie's fall is a tragedy, but in the sense of the Jake Spoon's character in the book Lonesome Dove. The tragedy is made of his own bad choices...

Remove ads