TSR settings sales numbers from Ben Riggs, starting with Lankmar, Maztica, Al-Qadim and Planescape!

Zardnaar

Legend
So ... how are home prices and rent prices doin' in that imaginary land of New Zealandia?

....don't think you've mentioned that..... :p

Nova Zealandia Imperium to the likes of you.

What USA is complaining about now started several years ago here was an issue 5 years ago. Then got worse.

Today's news. Didn't even have too look for it.

G

Guest 7034872

Nova Zealandia Imperium to the likes of you.

What USA is complaining about now started several years ago here was an issue 5 years ago. Then got worse.

I once saw it referred to as the "God Zone" on a world map (clearly from the NZ point of view).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I was being facetious; the only thing you've talked about more than the housing costs in that imaginary land are the terrible* pizza toppings that the imaginary people would subject themselves too.

charles-barkley-turrible.gif

AT LEAST ATLANTEANS HAVE BETTER TASTE IN PIZZA!!!111!!!!!

Zardnaar

Legend
I was being facetious; the only thing you've talked about more than the housing costs in that imaginary land are the terrible* pizza toppings that the imaginary people would subject themselves too.

charles-barkley-turrible.gif

AT LEAST ATLANTEANS HAVE BETTER TASTE IN PIZZA!!!111!!!!!

Won't be laughing when we annex you. Check out US population 1776, NZ now. We're coming for you!!! Just might take a few decades.

G

Guest 7034872

It's probably derived from God's own.

Kinda pretty here early colonists "Gods own land".
Yeah, I think it was something like that. The whole thing was tongue-in-cheek and really entertaining. NZ was listed as a nation still loyal to the Queen (and therefore right-thinking), while IIRC they put AU as the "Disunited States of Autralia" or something like that (and there were a lot of "Disunited States of X" in there). Again, my memory is vague, but I think somewhere in the NZ portion they also had a Doctor Who reference.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Won't be laughing when we annex you. Check out US population 1776, NZ now. We're coming for you!!! Just might take a few decades.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can never overcome the combined charisma of Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen. NEVER.

#TIGERBLOOD
#PAINDONTHURT

Reynard

Legend
I think your basically right in terms of most people didn't really need or 'get' PS or SJ, but DS is a different story. It clearly falls into the 'swords and sandals' kind of fiction category and is pretty easily identifiable with anyone who read Gor, Conan, Barsoom, etc. back in the day (or Fred Saberhagen stuff). D&D cites those sources quite clearly and thus I don't think DS was much of a departure at all. Beyond that it was pushed as being kind of a more hard-core setting where the PCs would be tough, but survival would be HARD by default. That appealed a lot to many D&D players, a sort of slightly reformulated meat grinder with more story and slightly more heroic themes. PS and SJ by contrast are just 'out there', they don't relate to ANY fiction I know of at all, really.
It was entirely too wrapped up in its own lore to be useful to someone like me, a huge Howard and S&S fan who wanted to do S&S with D&D without Dragon kings and Seas of Dust and, most important, psionics. Dark Sun was no less esoteric and self absorbed than Planescape.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What’s wild is that OA was the third highest selling setting. And yet WotC has done nothing with it for 5E. I mean, I get it, but hire some experts and writers from China, Japan, Korea, etc to make something for it. Clearly there’s a huge draw there. Especially with how popular anime is. Seems so obvious...yet nothing. Oh, right. Isn’t L5R doing a 5E version?

Remove ads