TTRPGs Where Everyone's a Mage?

Thomas Shey

Legend
What are some tabletop roleplaying games where every player plays a mage, magician, or wizardy character?

I know of a few big ones like Mage: The Ascension, Ars Magica, or Invisible Sun. What other ones are out there?

Wicked Pacts comes to mind. You can also make an argument about a couple others that are about supernatural beings, but all of them use magic.

I'm more interested in ones that are a bit gender inclusive or not so narrow in scope. I know that there are indie TTRPGs out there where you are, for example, playing as a group of teenage female witches or alchemists in the countryside or similar setups, but I would prefer ones that are a little more open when it comes to personalizing character customization.

The above has kind of a pseudo-class system, but its not super-constraining.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
I really enjoyed playing Witchcraft, but I must admit I played in the "GM handles all the rules and I've never even opened the rulebook" mode, so I can't exactly say if I enjoyed it because of the system or because of the GM.

Kult comes to mind, though tbh it is often just a few spells. Runequest is similar in that way. Nephilim is a game where everyone is a half-spirit and has some spells. In Nomine is same, but everyone's an angel/demon.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I really enjoyed playing Witchcraft, but I must admit I played in the "GM handles all the rules and I've never even opened the rulebook" mode, so I can't exactly say if I enjoyed it because of the system or because of the GM.

I don't know why I didn't think of Witchcraft.

That said, not every Witchcraft character (at least if you're using the supplements) is a mage, and that's over and above any other issues with the system.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Kult comes to mind, though tbh it is often just a few spells. Runequest is similar in that way. Nephilim is a game where everyone is a half-spirit and has some spells. In Nomine is same, but everyone's an angel/demon.

Nephilim was, in fact, the system I was thinking of where I wondered if being human was a prerequisite to the answer to the OPs question. Immortal lands in the same category.

Remove ads