log in or register to remove this ad

 

TUW: Out of the Maelstrom

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 305: Aboard Ship

Sannit strokes his beard... San-Bolo will reclaim any of their gear from the captain's quarters and Bolo will inspect her new bow to make sure it is in proper working order. As cooks they will make sure everyone receives an equal portion of food.
Bulywif, Tor's father, approaches Sannit and speaks to him quietly. "Nephew, if I may, it is not that these men lack courage, for if they did they would not have gone so far as to be remanded to this ship. These are not the criminals they are named, no more than am I. Every member of this crew has at some time tried to convey to the people of Asylum what an unjust, despotic system they are living under. They lacked the means and the talent to walk away like you all were able to do, but each had tried, at one time to make a difference.

Now we are all half-starved and abused prisoners on this accursed ship. Having taken command, you now have it in your power to give this crew the means to stand against this corruption, to strengthen itself, and to take up an actual fight. I wish to stay with this crew, perhaps to even lead them. With you on the land and us on the sea, we can strike back at the Magistry on two fronts
."

Standing close enough to Sannit to have heard what was said, Sheldon moves aft toward the Quartermaster. "I can see it in the First-mate. It makes sense that he would readily shift loyalties. He feels relief like a great burden has been lifted, almost like this crew. The Regulars aboard are simple soldiers. That leaves you. How can we trust you? What would make you abandon and even appose your Magistry."

The Quartermaster clears his throat and swallows. The expression on his face shows a combination of sincerity and trepidation. "I have a talent for sailing and I like the open sea. My father was a simple dockhand. I am from the Wharf district. I joined the Ansylin Regulars as a boatswain. With my working knowledge of rigging and sail learned from my childhood and perhaps a natural gift, I was quickly promoted to the position of pilot. There is a certain cruelty expected from ranking soldiers. A cruelty I cannot muster. Because of this I was stationed as Quartermaster of this ship. My talent is still used, but I am out of sight and out of mind.

The First-mate and I are of a similarity in this. There is no future in Asylum for either of us. It is in my best interest to align with your interests. At least there is a hope for a future
."

Sheldon nods, satisfied with his answer, and looks to the faces of his friends to see if they are like minded. He then turns to the Regulars and announces. "SOLDIERS. YOU ARE HEREBY REPATRIATED AS MEMBERS OF THE CREW. STOW ALL WEAPONRY AND TAKE YOUR PLACES AMONG THEM. CREW. MAN YOUR CHOSEN STATIONS. YOUR WORLD IS ABOUT TO CHANGE."
[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit says to Bulywif, "It is good that you wish to lead these men. I suppose as the Seekers we have had too much success for us to be able to relate to the downtrodden. We have faced many dangerous trials, conquered our fears and done many things we did not want to do in order to be victorious. I took for granted that others would wish to be strong like us." Sannit will spend some time with the crew, telling the story of the Seekers and about the community of Southroad Fair in order to give them hope so that they will not quail and want to throw their lives away at every setback.

Bolo will continue to take turns in the crows nest and wonder how Turtle is getting along without her.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Stunned at the Avarice

Sannit says to Bulywif, "It is good that you wish to lead these men. I suppose as the Seekers we have had too much success for us to be able to relate to the downtrodden. We have faced many dangerous trials, conquered our fears and done many things we did not want to do in order to be victorious. I took for granted that others would wish to be strong like us." Sannit will spend some time with the crew, telling the story of the Seekers and about the community of Southroad Fair in order to give them hope so that they will not quail and want to throw their lives away at every setback.
Bulywif balks at the avaricious decree. "Nephew, I do not know what has happened to you. You walk away from the mundane life of the silk caravan, then become an economic success and reckoning force of Southroad Fair. You have one setback from a long established and superior foe, and now you want to condemn everyone without your talent and fortune as downtrodden and weak? What good would it do to undermine a despotic system of rule if you despise those who are ruled by it as much as those who rule it? You wear no collar about your neck. You cannot understand what it is to live with the imminent threat of death.

Once we make shore, I am sure you will want to immediately depart to leave us half-starved, weak, downtrodden, condemned men to our own devices. These collars chafe; but away from the whip and the chain, we will learn to ignore them. You all have a gift not imparted to very many. I saw you free yourselves with it. Is there nothing remaining within you to prevent you from becoming the exact embodiment of malevolence you opposed in the form of the Ansylin Magistry
?"

Sheldon touches the elder man on his shoulder. "Easy Uncle! Sannit is angry. We are all angry. It is beyond frustrating to see that those who are ruled could walk away from their oppressors but do not. It is impossible to understand why they will not. As I gather from your resolve, your colleagues on this ship are all men who once tried and failed. We shall, indeed, separate ways once we make landfall. We have an army to stop. Once our ire has been sated, we will return on more peaceable terms to check on your situation. Maybe by then we can even rid you of those collars."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor says, in a quiet tone so that the rest of the crew cannot overhear, "I think it's less avarice, and more cynicism, father. All of us have become perhaps more than a bit jaded. Sheldon is correct, all of us suffer from anger and frustration, born of our recent defeat at the hands of seemingly unbeatable foes. The only thing that gives me hope is the fact that I witnessed Merin melt Suausedeserp into a puddle of goo. We simply need a little more time to develop our talent, and to try again. In the meantime, we've all become a bit grouchy, I suppose."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 305: Coming ABout

Sheldon nods, satisfied with his answer, and looks to the faces of his friends to see if they are like minded. He then turns to the Regulars and announces. "SOLDIERS. YOU ARE HEREBY REPATRIATED AS MEMBERS OF THE CREW. STOW ALL WEAPONRY AND TAKE YOUR PLACES AMONG THEM. CREW. MAN YOUR CHOSEN STATIONS. YOUR WORLD IS ABOUT TO CHANGE."
GM: Bulywif nods to his son, and waves a gesture of peace to Sannit and Sheldon as he walks to stand beside the Quartermaster. He gestures a command at the First-mate who has taken a position on the bow. At the last of Sheldon's words the soldiers removes their weapons and stow them in the ready rack. They join the crew in positions along the rigging.

Bolo is amazed at the sway of movement from up in the crows nest. Though the ship heaves and lists with its movement and the movement of the sea, the feel on the deck is nothing compared to being aloft. Occasionally she has to hold to the tether on the mast to keep from being pitched from the perch. This is definitely not a job for the feint of heart, not really a job for any common individual.

At Bulywif's gesture he says to the Seekers, "You might want to hang on."

At Bulywif's gesture, the First-mate, gaining boldness from the change in events, finds his courage and bellows his commands from the forward deck. "RIGGERS, FURL THE HIGH SAILS. BOATSWAINS, FOLD THE MAIN SAIL. GROUND THE CROW. PREPARE TO SWING THE BOOM STARBOARD."

The nearest sailor clarifies one of the commands to Sannit, "Signori, your mate needs to come down or she will be pitched from the ship."

GM: The crew, and even the soldiers, move with a practiced efficiency. There is nothing easy about the work they engage and it must all be done quickly.

As soon as the furled sails are tied the First-mate calls again, "RIGGERS TO GROUND. BOATSWAINS SWING THE BOOM STARBOARD. QUARTERMASTER BRING US ABOUT PORT."

GM: The guide sail swings on the boom and is halted by the men holding its rope. Once this is tied, the wind catches it puffing out the middle of the triangle. The Quartermaster turns the wheel and the ship swing with a violent force. The process of commands are ordered so that the ship is again set for full sail heading in almost the opposite direction. In a day and a half, the land becomes visible and the desert sand on the horizon is left behind by an outcropping of the Spine stretching into the sea. The jungle is skirted until fresh water is seen coming from within and then the ship is carried inward until anchor can be weighed a suitable distance from shore. Rowboats are maned and beached on the leeward side of the river's outlet. Everyone finds themselves on a narrow strip of beach with a dense jungle looming to the north. Vast sounds of life come from within its foliage.

[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit nods to Bulywif and replies, "Uncle, I suppose this time I became impatient with these men looking to me for answers. It is not for me to say if they are weak or not, but from their own minds."

He will help with what work he can, not as a leader, but as one among equals.

Bolo will climb down from the crow's nest before the ship makes its turn.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Upon landing, Merin and Tor check their gear one last time, in preparation for the upcoming trek through the jungle. Both are extremely pleased to be off the ship. After ensuring that his Phoenix Feather is still in his pouch where he left it, Merin gets out his pen and parchment, and attempts to sketch the landmarks of their beach landing site. Tor slips his hand into his shield's arming strap, pleased to feel the sensation of the worn leather, and weight of the shield within his grip once more. With his other hand, he draws his sword, and gives it a couple of test swings.

Tor grins, "Welcome home, my lovelies. It is nice to have both of you back."

Merin nods in agreement, "Indeed!"
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Before they land on shore, San-Bolo will inspect the ship to make sure none the Seekers gear is left behind. During her last time in the crow's nest Bolo will carve 'San-Bolo was here' in the wood of the mast.

Once on shore San-Bolo will look for a suitable place to camp. When that chore is done, Bolo will set out for a hunt, not wanting to take any food from the sailors, and wanting something fresh for the fire. Sannit will help scout out the immediate area, looking for any signs of hostile tribes or larger creatures.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 320: Landfall

Jungle.jpg
Upon landing, Merin and Tor check their gear one last time, in preparation for the upcoming trek through the jungle...
Before they land on shore, San-Bolo will inspect the ship to make sure none the Seekers gear is left behind...
GM: The Seekers find that they have reacquired all of their gear.

Kwargrow said:
Once on shore San-Bolo will look for a suitable place to camp. When that chore is done, Bolo will set out for a hunt, not wanting to take any food from the sailors, and wanting something fresh for the fire. Sannit will help scout out the immediate area, looking for any signs of hostile tribes or larger creatures.
Sheldon and Indigo will move in a different direction to look for game as well. While they are out, they will also see if any useful herbs, or minerals can be located. At this point, they are no longer concerned if the sailors realize that they have gone hunting without the benefit of a bow.

GM: The western side of the river flowing from the jungle produces a considerably different flora than the eastern. While the eastern side sprawls into a deep jungle, the western side develops into a towering conifer forests. The difference is likely due to the nature of the soil. With less undergrowth to deal with and better timber to fell, the chosen location proves to be a good site for staking a camp and further developing into a regular homestead.

The river proves to be rather shallow and the collection of drinkable water becomes a simple matter of walking inland for a bit. The farther inland a person travels, the better the water quality. Some of the sailors busy themselves with making a camp while others return in the longboats to gather more supplies from the anchored ship. The ship is rather obvious, having to have been anchored outside the reef, but this is not a major concern at this distance from Asylim.

OOC: [sblock=Hunting]Effectiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is applied to finding and identifying animals or people by their passage. The specificity of the information known is determined by the rarity of the creature. The base score without the addition of the random roll represents the passive knowledge to notice the presence of other creatures or the tendency of the area to contain such. The addition of the random roll represents an active search. Success is determined by meeting or exceeding the predetermined rank requirements of the Encounter Table, found under the Denizens of TUW section.
Check: Effectiveness + Empathy (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Bolo: 35 + 28 + 50 = 113
Sheldon: 36 + 51 + 51 = 138
Indigo: 36 + 38 + 42 = 116

GM: The hunting expeditions produces two medium harvesters and one small peccary, which is enough meat to fill eight people. Since the sailors have casting nets and seines, they are able to provide fish, which seem to be plentiful.

OOC: [sblock=Forage]Forage:
Effectiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is used to locate usable plants within the area, whether medicinal or edible or toxic. The effectiveness without the addition of the random roll represents the passive ability to recognize useful plants in the vicinity. Also, the effectiveness of this task may be augmented by the passive Collegiate technique of Konokoro.
Check: Effectiveness + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Indigo: 36 + 38 + 20 = 94

GM: Indigo is able to locate a considerable variety of edible plants but nothing medicinal.

OOC: [sblock=Prospecting]Effectiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is applied to the search for usable metal or stone. The results of the effectiveness are determined by terrain and availability of material. The base score without the addition of the random roll represents the passive knowledge to notice the presence of an ore or mineral or the tendency of the area to contain such. A minimum rank of 50 is need to passively notice the most base mineral, which is slate, and a minimum rank of 60 is needed to passively notice the most base ore, which is zinc. The addition of the random roll represents an active search. For those who can manipulate Way, holding a piece of the desired material while making an active search, increases the total score by 100. Also the total effectiveness may be augmented by the passive Collegiate technique of Konokoro. Success is determined by meeting or exceeding the predetermined rank requirements of the Minerals and Ores Availability Tables.
Check: effectiveness + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Sheldon: 36 + 51 + 88 = 175

GM: Following the river as it cuts between the pines and jungle, Sheldon and intriguing green rock and 3 ingots worth of magnesium.

OOC: [sblock=Observation]Effectiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task represents watching and listening to the immediate area to determine patterns, anomalies, or dangers. It can also be used to determine a person's intentions or motivation. While animals tend to be motivated by fear, hunger, or preservation, people are more complicated and can be driven by greed, jealously, avarice, etc. This task may be countered by Blend, Introversion, or Stealth, whichever is most appropriate to the situation.
Check: effectiveness + Empathy (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Sannit: 34 + 34 + 50 = 118

GM: Circumnavigating the proposed development site, Sannit finds sign of various animals and even sign of some people having passed near, but he finds nothing that would indicate and immediate threat.

[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin and Tor have a few ideas to get things going.

As Merin is finishing his sketch, he approaches Sannit.

Merin says, "We should hack some trails into the jungle, to make it easier for the sailors to gather building materials. Those trails will also serve as the beginnings for what will eventually be a road to the next nearest settlement."

Tor mentions, "We should also see to building a fence over the next 4-5 days, to give them a defined perimeter to patrol, and to help prevent this position from being easily overrun."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sheldon Interjects

As Merin is finishing his sketch, he approaches Sannit.

Merin says, "We should hack some trails into the jungle, to make it easier for the sailors to gather building materials. Those trails will also serve as the beginnings for what will eventually be a road to the next nearest settlement."

Tor mentions, "We should also see to building a fence over the next 4-5 days, to give them a defined perimeter to patrol, and to help prevent this position from being easily overrun."
In a seemingly uncharacteristic manner, Sheldon catches his two friends' attention when they hope to engage Sannit. "No! Sannit is making sure that there is no immediate threat, but these are men not children. We have not the time to hold their hands and establish their community. Uncle Buliwyf may even find the offer insulting as he has taken it upon himself to lead these men. We have an obligation to return to Southroad Fair and prepare them for the impending arrival of an Ansylin force.

Besides, the jungle seems to have contained itself to the other side of the river. This side is more populated by conifers and less undergrowth. No known settlements are close to here, according to the First-mate. That was the point in choosing this location. Additionally, the construction of a wall will take an immense amount of time and an immense amount of lumber. The wall will also cause enough of a change to the local to make this site more noticeable from the sea, even in the absence of the ship.

What we need to be doing, at this point, is following the shore then crossing the desert. We need to return to Southroad Fair as far in advance of that army as we can, then decide how we want to deal with it
."

OOC: Though some players have participated more than others, all active characters will receive 10 developmental points at this juncture.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Plans Reconsidered

"No! Sannit is making sure that there is no immediate threat, but these are men not children. We have not the time to hold their hands and establish their community. Uncle Buliwyf may even find the offer insulting as he has taken it upon himself to lead these men. We have an obligation to return to Southroad Fair and prepare them for the impending arrival of an Ansylin force. [...] What we need to be doing, at this point, is following the shore then crossing the desert. We need to return to Southroad Fair as far in advance of that army as we can, then decide how we want to deal with it."
Merin and Tor both nod in understanding, and Merin adds, "You're right, my friend, I think that Tor and I both tend to over-analyze things sometimes. Thanks for keeping us on-track. Let's get going then."

Merin and Tor then follow Sheldon and the others, as they begin following the shore line, starting the next leg of their urgent journey.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 327: Traveling West

GM: After departing from the former prisoners, now independent sailors, the Seekers travel westward, following the shoreline, for seven days until a decision has to be made as to whether the party continues to follow the shore. The shoreline dips sharply south at this point which would take the party for some days in the wrong direction. The direct route through the mountainous region would be more difficult but could prove faster.

During the days' travel, the Seekers only happen upon common encounters, in passing.

[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin and Tor are both in favor of the difficult, more direct route.

Merin says, "Time is not on our side; every minute we waste is a minute that Southroad Fair doesn't have to prepare. The direct route is the only logical course of action."

Tor adds, "We are The Southroad Seekers. 'Difficult' and 'Challenging' are our bread and butter. There is no obstacle we can't overcome. Onward, my friends, to victory."
 

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
San-Bolo agree. Take the faster path. During the trip, Bolo will still hunt, but San-Bolo will not search for minerals, ores, or plants. They will focus their efforts on reaching Southroad Fair quickly.
 

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin, happily back on land, follows the group on the faster path. As they travel, he will search for game tracks in order to hunt.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 327 - 336: Through the Tail

Jungle2.jpg

GM: Traveling through this area of the mountains, called the Tail of the Spine, takes the Seekers 9 days. During this time of travel, it is noted that the ambient temperature is blessedly lower on the various elevated paths. Neither the cool nor the rain have much effect on the heat this far south, but the Seekers know that they are on a schedule, one dictated by the malevolent actions of the Ansylin Magistry to further their selfish intent.

San-Bolo agree. Take the faster path. During the trip, Bolo will still hunt...
Vadin... will search for game tracks in order to hunt.
Taking their queues from the others with a desire for speed, Sheldon and Indigo will also forego any active search for anything other than food. Sheldon will help look for game while Indigo forages.
OOC: [sblock=Hunting]Effectiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge ++
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is applied to finding and identifying animals or people by their passage. The specificity of the information known is determined by the rarity of the creature. The base score without the addition of the random roll represents the passive knowledge to notice the presence of other creatures or the tendency of the area to contain such. The addition of the random roll represents an active search. Success is determined by meeting or exceeding the predetermined rank requirements of the Encounter Table, found under the Denizens of TUW section.
Check: Effectiveness + Empathy (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Sheldon: 36 + 51 + 51 = 138
Sannit: 34 + 34 + 50 = 118
Bolo: 35 + 28 + 50 = 113
Vadin: 29 + 37 + 50 = 116

GM: During the 9 days, everyone actively hunting is able to locate small game birds, varmints, and medium game birds. Sheldon is also able to locate some small game. All collected animals provide adequate food, but none is large enough to bother with the collection of hides and none provide any interesting items for the manufacture of talismans.

OOC: [sblock=Forage]Effectiveness:

  • Mind + Knowledge ++
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is used to locate usable plants within the area, whether medicinal or edible or toxic. The effectiveness without the addition of the random roll represents the passive ability to recognize useful plants in the vicinity. Also, the effectiveness of this task may be augmented by the passive Collegiate technique of Konokoro.
Check: Effectiveness + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100[/sblock]
Indigo: 36 + 38 + 56 = 130

GM: In addition to being able to locate a variety of food during the 9 days travel, Indigo is also able to find a measure of Muddle Leaf, a measure of Soothe Leaf, and a measure of Rend Leaf.

OOC: On the fifth day of travel the party is assaulted by a previously undiscovered type of spider. Everyone needs to send me a reaction roll.

[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 327 - 336: Phase Spiders

OOC: [sblock=Reaction Time]Reaction Time is a numeric value for mental and physical preparedness for action. This is the first calculation in a combat sequence as it determines the order of attackers and is generally only figured once at the beginning of any combat situation. Reaction time may be further modified if a character or creature is injured or otherwise impeded at the start of combat. Loss of Body or Mind reduces the final Reaction Time by 10 for every 1 point lost. For example, if a character had lost 2 points of Body before combat initiated, his total reaction time would be reduced by 20.[/sblock]
EffectivenessReadiness+Athletic+Clarity+d100-Armor
Spiders31+41+24+63-0=159
Bolo44+35+51+60-112=78
Indigo39+43+42+99-145=78
Sheldon34+40+56+72-125=77
Merin31+34+55+89-163=46
Vadin40+29+38+63-209=-39
Sannit48+37+44+77-280=-74
Torvald31+35+21+79-334=-168

spider.jpg

GM: The army of spiders launches itself from hidden location toward its would-be prey. The coloration of the spiders amazingly matches the rocky terrain of their surrounding. Though attacking from concealment, it is doubtful the camouflage will aid much in the assault against such a wary group. Of the Seekers, Bolo reacts first to the spider launch. The spiders have jumped through the air will outstanding strength and speed. There appears to be about a dozen or so of them.

[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Bolo will reach out with Way and Heat the closest threatening spider.
OOC: Roll: 96/ 66
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 327 - 336: Phase Spiders and Bolo

Bolo will reach out with Way and Heat the closest threatening spider.
OOC: Roll: 96/ 66
Indigo, who reacts simultaneously with Bolo, will attack with her swords while manipulating Mystic Way to augment her own strength.
OOC: Roll: 35

Sheldon, knowing nothing of specifics of these spiders, considers them as normal vermin and seeks to manipulate Mystic Way to pacify one of them, while physically defending himself, bare-handed.
OOC: Roll: 60

[sblock=Reaction Time]
Spiders159
Bolo78
Indigo78
Sheldon77
Merin46
Vadin-39
Sannit-74
Torvald-168
[/sblock]
[sblock=Stealth]Effectiveness: Body + Motility ++ Commercial + Obscurative
This active task is applied when attempting to obscure oneself from view or to dampen and, ultimately prevent sound while moving. This may be augmented by various active or passive Collegiate Tasks.
Check: effectiveness + various Collegiate tasks + d100
Spiders: 38 x3 = 114 + 24(Inversion) + 67 = 205[/sblock]
[sblock=Perception]Effectiveness:

  • Mind + Knowledge ++
  • Commercial + Obscurative
This passive technique represents noticing patterns, anomalies, or dangers in the immediate area due to seeing or hearing or even smelling things subconsciously. This may be augmented by various active or passive Collegiate Tasks. There is no random aspect to this task. This task may be opposed by Blend or Stealth, whichever is more appropriate.
Check: effectiveness + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100
Sheldon: 39 + 51 + 60 = 150
loss of defense: 205 - 150 = 55
Indigo: 38 + 38 + 35 = 111
Loss of defense: 205 - 111 = 94
Bolo: 39 + 28 + 96 + 66 = 229[/sblock]
[sblock=Speed of Action]Though Reaction Time is a numeric value for mental and physical preparedness for action, a character who is able to think the fastest may not necessarily be able to act the fastest, especially if wielding a large weapon. This hindrance is determined by many factors that are quantified under their respective descriptions, such as weapons, movement, and manipulating Way. Like Reaction Time, Speed of Attack is further modified in the same manner if a character or creature is injured or otherwise impeded. After each action, the Hindrance is subtracted again from the previous total to continue the numeric sequence for the next action, unless the character or creature is fighting with two weapons; in which case, Hindrance for the weapon halved. Subsequent actions have a minimum hindrance of half a second or 50 tics, even is halving a weapon's hindrance would be less.
Speed of Action: Reaction Time - Hindrance
Spiders: 159 - 50 = 109
Indigo: 78 - 100 = -22
Bolo: 78 - 100 = -22
Sheldon: 77 - 100 = -23[/sblock]
[sblock=Physical Assault]Once Speed of Action is determined, the character or creature may choose to physically assault its opponent. Whether the assault is performed with a melee weapon or empty handed, whether the desire is lethal or non-lethal, the mechanics are the same. If the same target is being assaulted by three or more opponents, all attackers receive an additional +100% bonus. If a defender is unaware of the attacker, the attacker may add its Stealth or Blend Task total to the first assault.
Effectiveness: Attack Method(Combat) + Precision (Commercial) + Fury (Collegiate) + d100
Spiders: 31 + 42 + 24 + 67 = 164
Indigo: 39 + 43 + 43 + 35 = 160[/sblock]
[sblock=Physical Defense]Even if the defender's Speed of Action is slower than the attacker's, Physical Defense is considered automatic and reflexive and is always applied as long as the defender is not incapacitated or unconscious. If the defender is being assaulted by two or more opponents the defender receives a -100% penalty to the defense total. This penalty may be reduced by the Kilter task total. If the defender is wielding a second weapon and extra 5% is added to the defense total. If the defender is wearing a defense mechanism such as a bracer or shield, etc., the coverage of the item is added to the defense total.

Advanced complication: If the difference between the assault total and the defense total of a character wielding a defense mechanism is less than the coverage of the mechanism, the attacker's assault is considered to have been blocked. On the downside, this causes damage to the defense mechanism. Each successful block causes a point of damage to the blocking item. The damage is cumulative and will need to be repaired. A blocking mechanism can sustain an amount of damage equal to its coverage. Secondary weapons can only sustain damage equal to the damage they can cause.

If the assault total is greater than the defense total of a character wielding a second weapon or a defense mechanism, the defender is considered to have failed to block the assault. Armor can still protect the defender from harm, but it will be damaged in a similar manner to the blocking mechanism. The deflection or soak rating of the protection is deducted from the damage total and absorbed by the protective item instead. For example, if a victim were to be receiving 10 lethal damage but is wearing a goatskin shirt. The shirt sustains 5 damage (deflect rating) and the victim sustains 5 damage. The shirt will now be considered to only offer 25% coverage instead of 30%. The deflect and soak ratings do not change.
Physical Defense: Defend (Combat) + Preservation (Commercial) + Konokoro (Collegiate) + d100 + shield
Sheldon: 34 + 39 + 51 + 60 = 184 - 55 = 129
Damage: 164 - 129 = 35% * 4 = 1 - 10(deflect), ineffective
Tunic: 60 - 2 = 58
Indigo: 39 + 38 + 38 + 35 + 5 = 155 - 94 = 61
Damage: 164 - 61 = 103% * 4 = 4 x2 = 8
Body: 10 - 8 = 2, hurt
Bolo: 44 + 39 + 28 + 96 + 66 = 273, dodged
Spiders: 31 + 52 + 24 + 67 = 174, dodged[/sblock]

[sblock=Paranormal Assault]This is the general term for manipulating Way with the desire to harm another, whether that harm is mental (loss of Mind) or physical (loss of Body). The resultant damage, if successful, is then subtracted from the respective ability. The damage factor is listed under each Collegiate Task designed to cause such. The calculation for Effectiveness and Resistance is listed under each Collegiate Task.

Heat:
Range: Essence + Confluence ++
Damage: 10 Body
Effectiveness:

  • Essence + Confluence ++
  • Mind + Knowledge ++ Will ++
  • Collegiate + Academic + d100
By actively manipulating Way, this causes the intended target to heat unnaturally, thereby causing harm (loss of Body). This can also be used to start a fire if applied to naturally flammable substances. If Body is reduced below 1, the target is incapacitated and further damage is deducted from Mind. If Mind is reduced below 1 and the target is a nominal creature, it dies. If Mind is reduced below 1 and the target is a sentient being, it loses consciousness and further damage is deducted from Essence. If Essence is reduced below 1, the target dies.
Resistance:

  • Conditioning (Combat Task) +
  • Fury (Collegiate Task)
  • Insulate (post-Collegiate Task) + d100
.Paranormal Assault: (Effectiveness - Resistance)% * Damage
Bolo: 83 + 96 + 66 = 245
Spider: 31 + 24 + 67 = 122
Damage: 245 - 122 = 123% * 10 = 12
Body: 3 - 12 = -9, incapacitated
Mind: 10 - 9 = 1, dazed

Paralytic Venom: Effectiveness 76%, Damage 20 Motility
Indigo: 39(conditioning) + 43(fury) = 82%, resists

Pacify:
Range: Essence + Cohesion ++
Damage: 20 Persona or 20 Will
Effectiveness:

  • Essence + Cohesion ++
  • Mind + Knowledge ++ Will ++
  • Collegiate + Academic + O'ology + d100
This active task causes the loss of Persona or Will in the intended target, whichever is lower. If a either of the target's developmental abilities is reduced below 1, further loss is deducted from Mind. If the target's Mind is reduced below 1, it is stupefied and can perform no conscious tasks. The target may be led like a puppet, even to its own doom. If the target is an animal, it becomes imprinted upon the Academic and may be trained. If the animal is treated well, the befriending process will only need to be repeated a few times before it becomes unnecessary. People and other sentient beings cannot be kept in this manner. The process would need to be continually repeated.
Resist Pacification:

  • Skepticism (Commercial Skill) +
  • Tranquility (Collegiate Task) +
  • Enlightenment (post-Collegiate) + d100
.Sheldon: 67 + 60 = 120
Spider: 52 + 67 = 119, resisted[/sblock]
GM: The natural camouflage of the spiders does not fool Bolo, but Sheldon and Indigo have a difficult time correctly placing their locations. As a result, the two spiders that launch themselves at Bolo, miss. One of them becoming incapacitated as its body heat unnaturally. The two spiders that launch themselves at Indigo land on her and effectively avoid her armor to sink their fangs into her bare flesh. Fortunately, she seems to be highly resistant to their paralytic venom. The two spiders that launch themselves at Sheldon cannot as effectively attack and only manage to bite into his tunic, not his flesh.

[sblock=Spider Statistics]13 Spiders: full health
Spider: incapacitated
Body: 3 - 12 = -9
Mind: 10 - 9 = 1[/sblock]
[sblock=Character Statistics]
Sheldon: full health
Tunic: 60 - 2 = 58
Torvald: full health
Merindell: full health
Indigo: hurt
Body: 10 - 8 = 2
Sannit: full health
Stone Bolts: 10
Bolo: full health
Turtle: full health
Vadin: full health[/sblock]
[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
OOC: Merin reacts next.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top