TUW: The Outpost

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka Investigates

Maka doesn't try to communicate with the man; the questions that puzzle him are too complex, given the limited amount of speech that the man possesses. Instead, he directs his comment to Vittero.

Maka asks, "Does he want us to clean up the bodies and take them back to The Outpost? Does he want us to find the people who did this? What of the child? Is he certain that the child is dead? If not, the child might be a slave to whomever killed his parents. I will take a look around, and see what tracks remain."

OOC: Maka carefully searches the area for tracks and signs, any indication as to who or what might have done this, and where they might have went. He looks for torn pieces of clothing, blood, dropped or discarded objects, tracks, claw marks, bite marks, signs of weapon trauma on the bodies, signs of specific usage (i.e., things that would have required opposable thumbs to accomplish, for instance), etc. Maka is VERY METICULOUS in his search.

Waynan

Adventurer
While Maka is investigating the bodies and the grounds, Raven Elk focuses on Way to Speak with Spirits and try to question the remaining essence of the deceased as to what happened to them and their child.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
After seeing the vultures leaving the scene, Taylar only gives the bodies a cursory glance. He does not think it would be possible to tell what killed them after the decay and the work of the carrion birds. Plus the big man does not want to admit that the sight of the dead horrifies him.

Taylar focuses his search on the rickshaw, trying to determine how the wheel was broken and if any objects can still be found inside. He checks for tracks around the abandoned conveyance or for any clue as to who did this.

After he hears the conversation of the others he calls out to Liam, "Would you like us to bury them or burn them? Cause we're not taking them with us." He uses hand motions to make his intentions clearer.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: Death by the Road

Adi approaches the man and uses simple words and gestures to get across his question.
Do you know if they were robbed? And the child's body is gone... did you see it when you were here last?
The man, who is hunched over holding his mouth and is stomach, stands and wipes his face. He refuses to look back in the direction of his brother's body.
"Yes, only the broken cart remains. They had a horse to pull the cart, too. It is hard to see now, but everything they had was taken, even most of their clothes. I am sorry. I do nor remember about the child. He was small, 4 years old."

Maka asks,
"Does he want us to clean up the bodies and take them back to The Outpost? Does he want us to find the people who did this? What of the child? Is he certain that the child is dead?...
Vittero pops the knuckles of his hands, then answers back in Thisidan.
"I have no idea. From the stench, I would say that we will not be moving anything. I imagine that he suspects his brother and family were killed by people, the animals came upon the corpses later. Perhaps the morning light will give us a better idea."

Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka carefully searches the area...
GM: Maka holds his breath for as long as he can, working in intervals. He is frustrated by his inability to see more clearly.

While Maka is investigating the bodies and the grounds, Raven Elk focuses on Way to Speak with Spirits and try to question the remaining essence of the deceased as to what happened to them and their child.
GM: Working through his own custom of a ritual, Raven Elk closes his eyes to make his mind more astute. He can sense the other people around him. He can sense small insects and reptiles as if the spirits to whom he is adhering are proving the knowledge, but he cannot sense the anything of the bodies that lie just off the road. Had he not seen them for himself, his mind at this moment of clarity would deny they were even there.

Though disappointed, what Raven Elk does understand is that for no residue to remain of the bodies or the violence, the deed had to have occurred more than four days previously. Perhaps with more practice, in time, he can call upon the spirits to delve further backward.

OOC: GM NOTE:
As a novice task, Raven Elk can sense a corpse, even if hidden from view, but it cannot be more than 4 days dead. An attempt to delve into the actual spirits is a mastery level task and will come with time. From the character's point of view, it will seem that as he gains experience he is able to divine more from the spirits.

...Taylar focuses his search on the rickshaw, trying to determine how the wheel was broken and if any objects can still be found inside. He checks for tracks around the abandoned conveyance or for any clue as to who did this.
GM: Looking at the broken wheel, it appears as if wear and fatigue took their toll, and the wheel simply lost a spoke which shortly ruined its function entirely.

After he hears the conversation of the others he calls out to Liam, "Would you like us to bury them or burn them? Cause we're not taking them with us."[/QUOTE]
The man looks confused for second, but then seems to understand.
"Yes. Bury. That would be nice. Dangerous to burn in the grasses."

GM: In the morning light after the man has departed back for the Outpost, the crew gains new insight to the grizzly scene laid out before them. Like Raven Elk but with different semantics, Vittero tries to sense things about the scene, other than the terrible stench.

Taylar confirms his previous suspicion that the fate of the cart was accidental. The death of the people, definitely, was not. The people were killed quite some days ago, likely even before Liam began to look for them. It appears that there was some attempt to make do with the defective wheel.

Maka locates what he thinks is where the child once lay. Significant evidence indicates that the entire body was carried of by jackals. The larger dead remained for the vultures. There is absolutely nothing of the people's belonging remaining, not even clothing.

After thorough searches by everyone in the crew, the two separate pieces of a single broken arrow is located. The arrow head is made of stone, indicating that the deed was likely committed by some indigenous peoples rather than bandits, but as to which tribe no one knows. At this time of year, the culprits should have been crossing the road from south to north and would have continued further north after game.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
In the morning Taylar will help dig, suggesting one grave instead of two to simplify the process. He uses his club to break apart the rickshaw to make a grave marker for the people. "It won't last for long, but everyone deserves something to show where they lay."

After that chore is finished he asks his friends, "What about the jackals that took the boy's body? If they acquired a taste for people it might make them dangerous to others. Should we go after them to put them down?"

He examines the arrow pieces to see if he can determine who made them. Getting an idea he holds the pieces out to Raven Elk and says, "I noticed you were communing with the spirits earlier. If you held the arrow in your hand would the spirits be able to tell you about the one that shot it?"

MacConnell

Y 0: D 198: Doldrums 48: The Morning Light

In the morning Taylar will help dig, suggesting one grave instead of two to simplify the process. He uses his club to break apart the rickshaw to make a grave marker for the people.
"It won't last for long, but everyone deserves something to show where they lay."
Vittero does not know if burial is the custom of the man who hired them, but Taylar's conviction to the approach is enough. He uses a piece of broken wood from the cart to dig what hole he can. He also uses the wood to move the remains, not wanting the horrific stench to remain on his skin.

After that chore is finished (Taylar) asks his friends,
Kwargrow said:
"What about the jackals that took the boy's body? If they acquired a taste for people it might make them dangerous to others. Should we go after them to put them down?"
GM: Maka, due to the knowledge of his tribe and their proficiency with hunting, is able to provide insight to Taylar's query. He explains that unlike wolves or coyotes, jackals are mostly scavengers and, rather than kill, will eat almost anything that is already dead. They likely came upon the people a day or so after their death when the stench started to rise. He eases Taylar's concern by adding that they are more like the vultures, they just happen to be canines.

(Taylar) examines the arrow pieces to see if he can determine who made them. Getting an idea he holds the pieces out to Raven Elk and says,
Kwargrow said:
"I noticed you were communing with the spirits earlier. If you held the arrow in your hand would the spirits be able to tell you about the one that shot it?"
GM: Raven Elk does not know if the spirits are yet willing to impart such information, but he is inspired to try. After several minutes of quiet internalization Raven Elk opens his eyes as if a bit startled. He explains that he believes he received actual information, even though it is not much. He feels certain that the original perpetrators, by Way of this arrow, are Aedaman, not Faethrin and not Mhytre. It is not as detailed as the group would have hoped, but it something.

With some general knowledge of the peoples of the land, the suspects are narrowed even further. Since no manipulation of Way is evident and only mundane means were employed, the crew deduces that either a clan of Evipaun or Nishurin should be responsible, as both are known for hostile behavior.

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
After asking his questions, while his friends are investigating...Adi begins an attempt to distract the man from his sorrow... Have you heard the one about the toothless housewife and the three legged dog? but the language barrier and a sense that perhaps silence is better than empty words stops him.Never mind, perhaps another time. Adi stands next to the man facing away from the graves and pulls some smoked meat from his belt pack. He offers Liam a piece. After a moment walks a pace away and draws three fist sized circles on the dirt. He gathers ten pebbles and offers five of them to the man. Adi tosses a pebble, it lands on the edge of the middle circle. He gestures for the man to give it a try.

In the morning after the man leaves Adi helps prepare and bury the bodies.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Game Moderator said:
Since no manipulation of Way is evident and only mundane means were employed, the crew deduces that either a clan of Evipaun or Nishurin should be responsible, as both are known for hostile behavior.

Maka offers his opinion, "If it were Evipau, or Nishuri, then we must be cautious. No doubt, they will be well-armed, even if few in number. However, I don't believe that we should let this pass. I care not about the money; the people who did this should answer for it. And I don't mean in terms of vindication; my people do not believe in such things. They killed these people because they were easy prey, and because they wanted their belongings, and perhaps they enjoy an easy kill.

I enjoy good fight, and fighting these people will be an excellent test of my courage and strength. All of us are strong, but until we truly taste battle, we will remain boys. Fighting bugs isn't good enough. Fighting these people will help us become men. Fighting these people will make us into warriors, though I need no such reason to track them down. Those that prefer to prey upon the weak represent a plague upon society. They may be men, but they are no better than mere bugs
."

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 198 - 201: Doldrums 48 - 51: Northward

OOC: GM NOTE:
As an oversight on my part, I did not clarify the wealth status of the victims, but Liam would have done so, as it is important to the situation. In hindsight, Liam would have explained that other than the horse for the rickshaw, he doubts that his brother would have had anything of real value with him, as they are, or were, both laborers in Boga City. It made the man more distraught to think that this family was killed for a mere horse.

GM: Looking about the landscape, there is no definitive trail here to follow. The comings and goings of the jackals would have ruined any chance of discovering one anyway, though it stands to reason that the perpetrators would likely have traveled due north so as to keep them from venturing to near the mining ravines that would bring them into contact with armed miners and possible Thisidan soldiers.

Using the extra horse left by the man as a pack animal, the crew fans out to cover more ground when looking for any sign that might confirm their suspicion. By chance, it is Taylar who finds what he things is the distinctive print of a horse, only a few dozen paces from the scene of the carnage. The others observe the print and agree. Confidence is bolstered that the chosen direction is correct, and the crew marches on.

Traveling in the same direction for the first day, the only uncommon encounter comes just a hour before the party is preparing to make camp. A covey of large game bird is spooked from the tall grasses, and the archers of the group manage to fell one.

The second day only produces rabbits. The party can only hope that they are moving in the right direction while surrounded in a sea of grasses.

The third day, about an hour into travel, everyone notices several fresh dirt hills like would be made by meerkats, but none of the social grassland rodents can be seen, which is extremely strange. The hillocks are off to the left, a few paces, from the regular direction of travel.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka says,
Something is not right. The Meerkats have all gone to ground. They only hide when danger is near.”

And with that, Maka draws his bow, and moves to investigate in a crouching stance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads