TUW: The Outpost

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
OOC: Taylar is 6'5". That's an NFL linebacker.

As Taylar moves across the room to take a seat and a drink, he is graceful and controlled in his motions. He only makes a mess when he wants to. Taylar takes a long drink and then plops his mug down on the counter. "Beetles? I can bring some really big boots to squash them with!" he laughs. "Seriously, though, if these bugs ate her plants maybe we can borrow some to use as bait. And yes I mean 'we'. I assumed I was going with you."

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, comes to his home to gather his stuff and some food to be ready for the morrow.

After he finishes getting things ready, he waits for Ma to return from whomever called her for her skills in the healing, birthing and herbalist arts. She had taught him much of her "art", except the birthing part, it being considered forbidden for a man to see another man's wife's nakedness during the birthing of a child.

GM: NOTE: slight edit was necessary... previous posts.

GM said:
Only Vittero is currently able to manipulate Way. The other characters will be able as soon as they reach at least 1 rank in Adhesion.
GM said:
The Herbalist, Richelle, Raven Elk's adoptive mother, cannot manipulate Way, though she is respected for her knowledge of herbs and medicinal aid. She is often called upon to help with minor ailments or injuries of the miners and the birthing of children.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 159: Bug Hunting

GM: The four friends have needed less of an excuse to go exploring before. This time, though it seems almost a usefull tasks, their journey is not only important to Richelle, the Herbalist, it is provisioned by everyone's parents.

Maka brings dried meats from his encampments. Raven Elk has a sample of the particular Mending Herb so that it will be recognized when located. Vittero and Taylar both bring skins full of water.

Day break is dead calm and already warm, as is expected at this time of year. The town is just starting to wake as the four are ready to depart.

Richelle comes out to see the crew off.
"Boys, I thank you for doing this. I know going after some bugs does not sound like much of a masculine task, but they were as big as a man's head and aggressive toward me when I approached. This may turn out to be nothing. The bugs may already be gone. Bring back some of the herb, if you can. You will need to walk for about a day, southeast. Good luck."

GM: The young men have been walking for two hours through the forested land, seeing normal birds and lizards and bugs when a small pod of pigs is noticed rooting around up ahead. On all of their previous excursions, the four have never managed to come upon any game animals, only varmints.

There appears to be 8 common, brown rooter sows and no boar. They are approximately 50 paces ahead and have not yet noticed the four young men.

Vittero whispers,
"This expedition is already looking up. We should try to bag one of those before they spook."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar grins and hefts his club. "I can already smell it roasting on the spit. I'll crack it's skull for us, just run them past me."

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk sees that the sows are not within range of his spear, but he formulates a plan and suggests it to his friends:

"How about, we try to flank them on both sides. Maka and I can go to the right, Vittero, you take the left. Taylar, if this works, you'll get to try and smash one on the head, hopefully before it, or they, take you down. Meanwhile, if Maka and Vittero can take some shots, maybe we can bag more than one and have some to take to our homes."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka draws his bow, nocking an arrow, but putting no tension yet on the bowstring. He says nothing, but nods in agreement to Raven Elk, as he saunters off to the right flank, moving slowly and softly, being as quiet as possible, hoping to get with about 20 paces or so before attempting to take a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, leading the way in order to actually get around the sows so that he might drive them toward Taylar, hopes that Vittero is flanking left to help to bottle them in and funnel them toward their ambush.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: Day 159: Closing in on Game

Raven Elk -
"How about, we try to flank them on both sides. Maka and I can go to the right, Vittero, you take the left. Taylar, if this works, you'll get to try and smash one on the head, hopefully before it, or they, take you down. Meanwhile, if Maka and Vittero can take some shots, maybe we can bag more than one and have some to take to our homes."
Vittero nods, taking an arrow and knocking it in ready. He circles far to the left, using the hilly land and large trees to attempt to somewhat obscure his movements. He periodically loses sight of the prey, but checks to make sure they have not changed location. He hopes to make it far around to the front of left so that by the time he takes a shot, they might run toward the waiting Taylar.

GM: At various point the flankers are able to see one another, that they maintain a similar pace. The pigs seem intent on their rooting and give little attention to their surroundings. Fortunately for the hunters, pigs are much less flighty than other game, and they are able to get within 4 paces (24') before Maka and Vittero attempt their first shot.
OOC: Projection:
Range: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion +
  • Collegiate
This passive technique is used to augment Combat tasks involving projectile weapons. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Combat Task to which it can be applied.

Lethality:
  • Body + Motility
  • Mind + Knowledge
  • Commercial
This active technique implies a knowledge of anatomy and vital areas best targeted during combat. As this tasks is specifically applied to augment combat, Collegiate Enhancement is not applicable.

Launch:
  • Projection (Collegiate Task) + Trajectory (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Motility +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This active task requires the use of a projectile, though any object launched from the hand, whether by natural or mechanical means is sufficient for the purpose of determining the outcome of this task. The advantage to the attacker of a projectile launch is that it cannot be defended. It must be avoided by using one of the Defensive Commercial tasks.

Maka: 10 + 18 + 18 + 87(d100) = 133
Vittero: 10 + 18 + 17 + 75(d100) = 130

OOC: Konokoro:
Affect: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Adhesion +
  • Collegiate
This is like a sixth sense. It is a paranormal spacial awareness. It is used to augment non-Collegiate Tasks such as defensiveness and perception. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Commercial Task to which it can be applied.

Defensiveness:
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This passive technique is specifically applied to enhance counter-combat. The character must be conscious to utilize this technique. Collegiate enhancement is not applicable.

Range is medium so no penalty.
Pigs: 0 + 5 = 5
Maka: 133 - 5 = 128% * 10 = 13
  • Body: 8 - 13 = -5 incapacitated
  • Mind: 4 - 5 = -1 unconscious
Vittero: 130 - 5 = 125% * 10 = 13
  • Body: 8 - 13 = -5 incapacitated
  • Mind: 4 - 5 = -1 unconscious

GM: Maka and Vittero manage to take down one pig each. The rest of the sows immediately run. Three of the remaining ones happen to run directly toward Taylar's waiting position. One happens to run toward Raven's position.
OOC: Fury:
Affect: Self
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Confluence +
  • Collegiate
This passive technique is used to augment the outcome of Combat and various Commercial tasks. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Combat and Commercial Task to which it can be applied.
Lethality:
  • Body + Motility
  • Mind + Knowledge
  • Commercial
This active technique implies a knowledge of anatomy and vital areas best targeted during combat. As this tasks is specifically applied to augment combat, Collegiate Enhancement is not applicable.
Attack:
  • Fury (Collegiate Task) + Lethality (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Strength +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This active task does not require the use of a weapon, as any object held in the hand or any part of a creature's body used to strike an opponent is sufficient for the purpose of determining the outcome of this task.

Raven Elk: 10 + 17 + 19 + 81 (d100) = 127
Taylar: 10 + 17 + 19 + 82 (d100) = 128

GM:
OOC: Defend:
  • Konokoro (Collegiate Task) + Defensiveness (Commercial Task) +
  • Body + Motility +
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Combat
This passive technique is considered reflexive or subconscious in nature, as it applies even if the defender is slower than the attacker. The defender must, however, be aware of the attacker, as being surprised allows for no defense.

Pig: 0 + 5 + 14 + 77 (d100) = 96
  • Attack: 127 - 96 = 31% * 20 = 6
  • Body: 8 - 6 = 2: hurt
Pig: 0 + 5 + 14 + 75 = 94
  • Attack: 128 - 94 = 34% * 10 = 3
  • Mind: 4 - 3 = 1: dazed

GM: The two injured pigs stop running and ready themselves to return attack. All remaining uninjured pigs flee. Sequencing needs to be determined. Raven Elk and Taylar are engaged in melee. Maka and Vittero are 8 paces away.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
If Taylar has room he will swing his club again, attempting to bring the little bacon down. If the pig is too close he will drop his club and pull his knife to finish the job.

Remove ads