TUW: The Outpost

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka lays claim to a set of Dove Feathers (+1 Health), and a set of Mourning Bird tail feathers (+2 Persona). He looks with pride upon his growing headdress; although he lacks the Eagle feathers that would mark him as a War Chief, he is quite satisfied with the variety of feathers, knowing that their properties will enhance his powers. He removes the Songbird tail feathers (+1 Persona) and places them into the party's inventory.

Maka muses to himself,~One day I will be a War Chief. I have had many victories already; but there are a few things left undone. I have never touched an enemy without killing him, nor have I taken an enemy's weapon (counting coup); I have led a successful war party, more than once, but I have never stolen an enemy's horse from his camp. I have no doubt that I shall accomplish these things, eventually, but it's always good to keep them fresh on one's thoughts.~

OOC: Adjusted on sheet. Total effect: Persona and Health both went up by 1 pt. (item enhancement)

Maka says, "We should use the grizzly hides and carapaces to make armor for as many of us as possible."

Maka waits expectantly for the others to reply with their thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka's housekeeping...

Maka will also make a visit to the bowyer, and ask him about some of his more sturdy bows, specifically, how much they cost, and how hard they are to draw. If the bowyer has any heavy bows already made of varying draw strengths, Maka will test them out, to see which one is best suited to his strength.

OOC: Maka has Body 10 \ Strength 6 ....(It was a 5, but I spent those 5 pts. you just handed out on July 7th to raise it up to a 6.)

Once he has purchased an upgraded bow, he will ask the party about using 10 of the party's 20 iron ingots to make a punching blade for his new bow.

OOC: The idea is to have the blade on a locking swivel; it would operate like a pocket knife; normally, the blade folds up, so you don't accidentally stick someone with it. It will lock into 2 different positions. When you fold it up, it locks into position #1 ("carrying position.") A little lever will release the lock, so that it can fold downward, and it will lock into place again in position #2. ("stabbing position.") Again, the same lever can release it, so that you can fold it up again. The punching blade is about the length of a dagger (6" long) and is shaped like a Kunai (Japanese punching / throwing dagger.) A crude illustration is as follows:

A4F5F7E8-F3BE-4A56-94A9-DA1E81F6A971.jpeg

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar greets everyone, glad to see that all is well at home. After visiting with his father and other family he will get measured for his Grizzly tunic and will discuss with the others what else can be made with the carapace and fisher hides.

The next day, when all is settled, Taylar will visit with Vittero's father and ask about this Lord of the Day group and whether or not he knows anything of their attacks on villages. Taylar will also inquire about any scrolls or texts about the Keep of the Rising Sun.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 287 - 307: The Outpost

OOC: Each character receives 10 DP.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka lays claim to a set of Dove Feathers and a set of Mourning Bird tail feathers...
GM: NOTE:
Maka cannot receive the full benefit of the Mourning Bird feathers until he has acquired 10 ranks in the Collegiate skill.

Maka said:
"We should use the grizzly hides and carapaces to make armor for as many of us as possible."
Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka will also make a visit to the bowyer, and ask him about some of his more sturdy bows... Once he has purchased an upgraded bow, he will ask the party about using 10 of the party's 20 iron ingots to make a punching blade for his new bow...
Chass Verticort, the master huntsman, is also the village bowyer. While he is skillful enough to make a recurve, he has neither the material nor the special wood necessary to make a strength bow. The recurve does has a range improvement over the simple bow. Mallen Hammerstead, the blacksmith, listens to Maka's ideas about his bow, then discusses what he can actually accomplish. Maka is pleased by the functional adaptation.

OOC: Your character record has been updated to reflect the new bow.

Taylar... will get measured for his Grizzly tunic and will discuss with the others what else can be made with the carapace and fisher hides.
Vittero and Adi agree that they would like a tunic from the bear hide, but would like the fur removed.

Chass is also the village leather worker. His skill with skins is as excellent as Mallen's skill with ore. He can easily make the requested items. The fisher hides provide enough material to make either arm, shin, or leg guards, but only one set.
OOC: I need to know if each item is to have the fur removed, before I update character records.

... when all is settled, Taylar will visit with Vittero's father and ask about this Lord of the Day group and whether or not he knows anything of their attacks on villages.
Vittero accompanies Taylar to see his own father and brings the acquired journal with him.

Plascimon Luminet discusses the particulars of the local theology to the two. He conveys his astonishment and displeasure after learning of the attacks. He explains that they have nothing to do with religion.

[sblock=Theology]
The religion of Outpost follows the official religion of the Kingdom of Thisidaboga. The main deity is called the Lord of the Day and is represented by the light source of the day, which is considered to be masculine. (He was called the Lord of Light but after Game of Thrones was published, I had to change this name.) The spokesperson for the Lord of the Day is called the Divine Praetor. Vittero's father suspects that his power has begun to supplant that of the king's. This deity is considered to represent law and justice and sets forth a code of conduct. Neither benevolence nor malevolence figure into the teachings.

The wife of the Lord of the Day is represented by the silver moon and is called the Lady of the Veil. She is considered to offer guidance in feminine 'duties' and craft of the arts. Together with the Lord of the Day, she gave birth to a daughter called the Dawn. The Dawn has no physical representation but followers hope to catch a glimpse of her before the Lord of the Day outshines her by his own radiance. Sometimes, at the right time of year, a flash of light is seen to blink just before the sun rises. To see this is considered a blessing from the Dawn. The Dawn is responsible for bringing forth spring growth and beneficial rains. She is worshiped most prevalently in Outpost.

The former mistress of the Lord of the Day is represented by the orange moon and is called the Mistress of Darkness. With the rise in power of the Divine Praetor, any patronage of the mistress is punished by public beating. She is still reverenced in private by wealthier members of the kingdom who hold private masquerade balls in her honor. She is also reverenced in some of the small outlying communities, which may be the cause of the recent attacks. Together with the Lord of the Day, she gave birth to a daughter called Dusk. Dusk is the patron of harsh soldiers, and killers. She is considered to give knowledge of poisons, hence the current rise in aversion to herbalists, especially those who are not of Thisidan heritage.[/sblock]
Taylar will also inquire about any scrolls or texts about the Keep of the Rising Sun.
Minister Luminet has heard of the Keep of the Rising Sun. He explains that it was rumored to be an affluent hamlet back when the Yahdram were still a people. He knows no specifics. He offers that the librarian in Boga City may know more.

The Outliers spend 20 days in respite and general business about town. During this time Raven Elk seems enamored with the collected trinkets and makes little to no interaction with the others.

[sblock=Journal]Acolyte Avery reports to and receives his orders from Bishop Phillipe, but ultimately everything comes from the Divine Praetor, and that the priesthood has begun to proclaim prophetic visions which are dictating the current actions of the church and as a result, the soldiers.[/sblock]
[sblock=Inventory]
OOC: Current Inventory:
4-Wheeled Cart pulled by 2 donkeys
Coins:
  • chest of various coins
  • francs: 121
Animal Parts:
  • Beetle Carapaces: 31
  • Large Beetle Carapaces: 11
  • Fisher Hides: 30% cover
  • Grizzly Hide: 360% cover
  • Harvester Feather Talismans: 13 sets: {Health +1}
  • Peccary Tusk: 3 pair: {Confluence +1}
  • Running Bird Feather Talismans: 6 sets: {Confluence +1}
  • Mourning Bird Talisman: 1 set: {Persona +2}(-Persona x2)
  • Grizzly Skull
Minerals:
  • Slate: 64: {Thump x2}
  • Flint: 10 {Heat x2}
  • Coal: 2: {Heat x3}
  • Bloodstone: 2: {Confluence +1}
  • Sunstone: 9: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Heartstone: 5: {Confluence +1}
  • Lodestone: 4 {shock x2}
Ores:
  • Zinc Ingots: 19: {Health +1, Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingot: 13: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Lead Ingot: 13: {Rend x2}
  • Iron Ingot: 20 {Confluence +1, Mend x2}
  • Calcium Ingot: 1: {Cohesion +1, Restore x2}
Plants:
  • Mend Leaves: 1 measure {Mend x2}
  • Muddle Leaves: 2 measure {Muddle x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 1 measure {Soothe x2}
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust:
  • Grizzly Claws: 20:
[/sblock]
[sblock=Character Data]
OOC: Vittero: full health
Bracers: 20 - 1 = 19
harnin arrows: 21
Taylar: full health
Bracers: 20 - 14 - 14 = -8, ruined
Spaulders: 20 - 6 - 6 = 8
Tunic: 60 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 = 52
Maka: full health
Tunic: 50 - 6 - 6 - 5 = 32
harnin arrows: 23
Raven Elk: full health
Buckler: 20 - 1 = 19
Tunic 60 - 2 - 2 - 6 - 6 = 44
Adisakti: full health
Tunic: 60 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 = 50
javelins: 3
[/sblock]
[sblock=Party Discovers]Acolyte Avery's Ledger
Slate Boulder: 76 stones worth, East Pass
Tin Vein: 43 stones worth, East Pass
Zinc Vein: 61 ingots worth, 7 days north East Pass
Keep of the Rising Sun[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka's Thoughts

Maka frowns, then sighs: "Cities. I hate cities. But it seems that we need to make a trip to Boga City, to find out more about this place. But I want to wait until all of us have our new armor. Besides, I'd like to spend a day near the fire, to see if I can hear the voice of my grandfather."

Maka turns to Taylar: "So he said the attacks had nothing to do with religion? Then it is as we feared. These men are twisted. They are committing atrocities for their own personal gain, and using religion as an excuse. Or perhaps they secretly follow either Dusk or the Mistress of Darkness. Either way, we should not let this pass. I fear that it may be time to ride the war path."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar says, "Our last trip to Boga was such a disappointment I have no desire to go back. We would learn more from returning to the Keep and exploring, but first we must deal with these murdering priests and their soldiers. These people must have some place they call home. If we know where it is we should go out at once to bring the fight to their door."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka nods in agreement, as he replies: "Ok, the city can wait. I'm definitely ok with that. But the fire cannot. I long to hear my grandfather's voice. After I have listened awhile, I want to practice with my new bow. When that's done, we can begin to worry about tracking down these men. I think that we can deal with the soldiers quite easily, and probably the minor priests as well; but I think the Praetor has medicine. He will not be easy to defeat. His demise will require patience, and careful planning."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Days 307 - 317: The Outpost

OOC: All characters receive 5 DP.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka turns to Taylar: "So he said the attacks had nothing to do with religion?..."
Taylar shakes his head. Vittero rolls his eyes. "Let me use different words. The problem is religion but the action is about power. According to that journal we found, Acolyte Avery was following direct orders. My father suspects that the Divine Praetor is making a play for rulership of the Kingdom. It is very likely that those under him truly believe that their actions are just. My father cannot be officially involved but he has no problem with us interfering with these misguided acolytes, especially in the outlying communities.

At this point we do not know for sure if the motivation for the attacks is coming from the Divine Praetor or some prophet who has his ear. The journal reports that some priests have begun to see visions and that the actions are following the direction of these visions
."

Tellerian Hawke said:
Maka nods in agreement, as he replies: "Ok... I long to hear my grandfather's voice... When that's done, we can begin to worry about tracking down these men..."
The Outliers spend another ten days in town, mostly for the concern over Raven Elk, who seems to have fallen into some kind of dolor. Maka invites him along to join him in his tribe's sweat lodge. Adisakti also want to join and tags along.

Maka's father thinks that consulting the spirits is a very good idea and stokes up the fire, welcoming the two friends. Once the fire is good and hot and everyone is sweating profusely, he offers each young man some quality tobacco from Boga City. In short order, all three lose consciousness. When awakened, the three are no longer within the lodge but without, being tended with cool rags by others of the tribe. The three and the tribes find it disturbingly foreboding that all three seems to have had the same vision.

It is dark of night and the sky is absent of either of its moons. A glow from the horizon backlights a dark figure on a dark horse. The rider and his mount sit atop a hill overlooking a small village. The village is all ablaze. Men with swords kill all who are found to have escaped the fire, except one sniveling man, groveling at the feet of the rider's horse. The man speaks, pleads really, but no sound can be heard in the vision.

Suddenly the rider looks up from the man and out into the darkness, away from the city. Fire seems to glow in his eyes, though the burning village is behind him. The horse seems to absorb all light, making it blacker than the night. Everyone wakes in a fevered chill.

OOC: Current Inventory:
4-Wheeled Cart pulled by 2 donkeys
Coins:
  • chest of various coins
  • francs: 121
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull
Minerals:
  • Slate: 64: {Thump x2}
  • Flint: 10 {Heat x2}
  • Coal: 2: {Heat x3}
  • Bloodstone: 2: {Confluence +1}
  • Sunstone: 9: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Heartstone: 5: {Confluence +1}
  • Lodestone: 4 {shock x2}
Ores:
  • Zinc Ingots: 1: {Health +1, Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingot: 1: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Lead Ingot: 13: {Rend x2}
  • Iron Ingot: 1 {Confluence +1, Mend x2}
  • Calcium Ingot: 1: {Cohesion +1, Restore x2}
Plants:
  • Mend Leaves: 1 measure {Mend x2}
  • Muddle Leaves: 2 measure {Muddle x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 1 measure {Soothe x2}
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust:
  • Grizzly Claws: 20:
OOC: Vittero: full health
Bracers: 20 - 1 = 19
harnin arrows: 21
Taylar: full health
Spaulders: 20 - 6 - 6 = 8
Maka: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Raven Elk: full health
Buckler: 20 - 1 = 19
Adisakti: full health
javelins: 3
Acolyte Avery's Ledger
Slate Boulder: 76 stones worth, East Pass
Tin Vein: 43 stones worth, East Pass
Zinc Vein: 61 ingots worth, 7 days north East Pass
Keep of the Rising Sun

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk spends the time with Ma, learning more about what she does outside of the mid-wiving. He learns about the mundane uses for the leaves they have found, besides the Way uses. Obviously, the Way uses for all the items they brought back had greater value that way than any mundane capabilities of the leaves. And,...

He knows he's been away from the lads for awhile; but he doesn't feel he's ready for another "adventure". The last part of this last one nearly killed him...twice. No, there had to be another way for him. And...

He still wasn't happy they left the Hidden Temple on a lark when there was so much more to investigate. That's when Raven Elk realized he did want to go out again...back to the Hidden Temple! Well, convincing the rest could be easy, all he had to do was mention all the stuff they buried. This time they'd need to take a wagon...or at least a cart. Yeah,...

He wasn't one hundred percent that he was really ready; but he wanted to find out more about the Temple. So,...

Raven Elk got up from his studies, grabbed his spear and strapped on his money pouch and headed over to Taylar's to plan another trip to the Temple.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka scolds Raven Elk: "How can you ignore such an important vision? Times of trouble are coming for all of us, townfolk and The People alike. The temple is an old ruin, and it's been there for ages. It will still be there after this is over. These priests must be stopped. And that task falls to us. We must take up the mantle of warrior, and we must accept the challenge. Surely you know this?"

Remove ads