TUW: The Outpost

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka shakes his head, and says, "Something isn't right. The followers of the Dawn, including Vittero's father, are brothers to the followers of the sun. They are lower ranking members of the same sect. The religion of the sun and the dawn is one of benevolence; I suspect that some of their number are not corrupt, but they dare not speak out, because the ones who are corrupt are probably the ones who hold the power. I also suspect that the corruption lies within the order of the sun; if it were affecting the order of the dawn, Plascimon would know about it; but he acts as if there is nothing to fear from speaking up. I fear he is in danger of unwittingly becoming a martyr. We need to discover the root of this corruption, and cut it out. Otherwise it will spread like a disease. Does anyone know who the robed man was? If not, we need to find out. We should talk to Plascimon, in any event."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
That Was Unexpected

OOC: Current Inventory:
4-Wheeled Cart pulled by 2 donkeys
Harnin Short Swords: 20
Coins:
  • chest of various coins
  • marks: 461
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull
Minerals:
  • Slate: 63: {Thump x2}
  • Flint: 10 {Heat x2}
  • Coal: 2: {Heat x3}
  • Bloodstone: 2: {Confluence +1}
  • Sunstone: 9: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Heartstone: 5: {Confluence +1}
  • Lodestone: 4 {shock x2}
Ores:
  • Zinc Ingots: 1: {Health +1, Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingot: 1: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Lead Ingot: 12: {Rend x2}
  • Iron Ingot: 1 {Confluence +1, Mend x2}
  • Calcium Ingot: 1: {Cohesion +1, Restore x2}
Plants:
  • Mend Leaves: 1 measure {Mend x2}
  • Muddle Leaves: 2 measure {Muddle x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 1 measure {Soothe x2}
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust:
  • Grizzly Claws: 20:
OOC: Vittero: full health
Bracers: 20 - 1 = 19
tunic: 60 - 12 = 48
harnin arrows: 17
Taylar: full health
Spaulders: 20 - 6 - 6 = 8
Maka: full health
harnin arrows: 21
Raven Elk: full health
Buckler: 20 - 1 = 19
tunic: 60 - 12 = 48 - 12 = 36
Adisakti: full health
javelins: 3
Acolyte Avery's Ledger
Slate Boulder: 76 stones worth, East Pass
Tin Vein: 43 stones worth, East Pass
Zinc Vein: 61 ingots worth, 7 days north East Pass
Keep of the Rising Sun

... Taylar takes out one of the salvaged uniforms...
Raven Elk... his head at his friend's display... "Brother, were you sure that was wise?"
... "We, the brave, must show the way for the others..."

While the men are, yet, speaking but before resolution is reached or Taylar can negotiate for a weapon, Light Commander Stelcon Melancon, the town constable, steps up and arrests Taylar for promoting dissension. Adisakti attempts to intervene and is arrested, as well. Taylar has been arrested twice before for disorderly conduct and has spent a day in lock-up for each. He voices his affront at such perceived injustice but does not give the aging soldier any real trouble.

Prisoners are held in the constabulary. It is not a pleasant place to be. The cells are hewn pits, worked smooth, a pace square and a pace and a half deep. Commander Melancon is not a cruel man. He offers a ladder for prisoners to walk themselves into a cell rather than risk breaking bones by having them thrown in.

Vittero pleads Taylar's case due to the incident with the Pelimonra Village. After hearing of the atrocity, the constable reduces his sentence from three days to two. "Adisakti is going to have to stay the three days, I am afraid. He struck one my guards."

Taylar's mother brings food and water to her son as she has with his two previous incarcerations. She does not lecture or criticize him, figuring he is plenty old enough to make up his own mind.

Adisakti's father refuses to allow any of the family to bring food or water to his eldest son. Vittero and Raven Elk take on the task, themselves, thinking it cruel to let their friend starve or die of thirst.

Though the cells are designed to prevent it, Adisakti can almost leap straight up high enough to catch the rim of the pit. He is determined to be able to escape if he is ever locked up again.

The pits are cleaned after each incarceration so that prisoners are not especially standing or lying in profuse quantity of feces. Though there is no seal on the hole, the pits smell unpleasant and the space grown more cramped with the passage of time. Taylar feels tired, stiff, and sore when he is released.

The constable, who is considered by all to be a just man, gives one last admonishment. "Son, you need to work on that temper. Though your cause does, indeed, seem a righteous one, make sure you direct that strength of yours at the right target. I do not know who that might be, but I dare say that in my younger day I may have done the same thing as you and spent the same time in the hole for it."

Taylar spends the next day working with his father in the smithy to overcome the sore stiffness. His father says, "With all the swords you and your friends brought back, we have plenty of iron to repurpose them. What did you have in mind?"

"By the way, I heard all of the conversation between Priest Luminet and the Divine Praetor, and I believe the man. He said that the instigator was one of the Ministers of Light, who has been removed from office and will be held for trial. You and your friends should talk to the priest and try not to get into more trouble in town."

OOC: Each character receives 3 DP. Those not fluent in Thisidan increase proficiency by 1%.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka stands in amazement as Taylar and Adi are arrested. He realizes that the constable is only trying to keep order, and does not try to intervene. His thoughts turn inward once again, as he continues to ponder the problem. ~While it was unfortunate that they had to be arrested, I think ol' Melancon did them a favor. Grandfather always said that haste to action was the father of all mistakes. Now I know what he meant. The only good thing in all of this is that the crime was not witnessed by sun disciples. Melancon arrested them for dissension. A sun disciple would have charged them with treason, I am sure of it. Two days in the hole is getting off easy. I pray to the Earth Spirit that Taylar and Adi do not make this mistake again. We should look into this matter with more discretion, before making any more sudden moves.~

During the two days that Taylar is in the hole, Maka will buy some more arrows (19 to be exact) and he will also spend a day outside town, in the nearby hills, meditating by campfire, and hoping to hear the voice of his grandfather on the wind.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
While the men are, yet, speaking but before resolution is reached or Taylar can negotiate for a weapon, Light Commander Stelcon Melancon, the town constable, steps up and arrests Taylar for promoting dissension
When Melancon declares he is under arrest the shock is clear on Taylar's face at first. He looks around, and then to the area where the Divine Praetor departed town and realization dawns as his expression goes cold. He does not resist the arrest, not wanting any harm to come back on his family.
Taylar's mother brings food and water to her son as she has with his two previous incarcerations.
He thanks his mother. It is all he says during his imprisonment.
The constable, who is considered by all to be a just man, gives one last admonishment. "Son, you need to work on that temper. Though your cause does, indeed, seem a righteous one, make sure you direct that strength of yours at the right target. I do not know who that might be, but I dare say that in my younger day I may have done the same thing as you and spent the same time in the hole for it."
Taylar says nothing in response.
Taylar spends the next day working with his father in the smithy to overcome the sore stiffness.
No, Taylar does not work at the smith. He collects his belongings and prepares to leave town. He engages in exercise and practices with his gran-baton to work the soreness from his body.
His father says, "With all the swords you and your friends brought back, we have plenty of iron to repurpose them. What did you have in mind?"
Taylar says to Mallen in Maldrog, "Keep them. I have changed my mind. If I want another sword I will just kill another priest and take his."
"By the way, I heard all of the conversation between Priest Luminet and the Divine Praetor, and I believe the man. He said that the instigator was one of the Ministers of Light, who has been removed from office and will be held for trial. You and your friends should talk to the priest and try not to get into more trouble in town."
Taylar replies in Maldrog, "You did not see what we saw, but worry not, Father, I will cause no more trouble in this town." As he walks away, he laughs, "A trial! What foolishness you believe."

Taylar will camp outside of Outpost, with Maka if he allows it. He returns to Outpost when Adisakti is released, and when the group is ready, he will go with them to speak to Priest Luminet.

Taylar says to Raven Elk, "You were right, brother. I misjudged this place. They have sided with the butchers."

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk, stunned by the arrests, helps Vittero with bringing meals to Adi while also visiting his mother about medicines and Taylar's dad about having some of the swords turned into metal spearheads and steel-tipped javelins, a new weapon choice he'd like to have in his range arsenal.

MacConnell

Now We're Getting Somewhere
OOC: The journey of a lifetime begins with but a single step, albeit much more efficiently when that step is finally taken in the right direction.

Harnin Short Swords: 14
Coins:
  • chest of various coins
  • marks: 321
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust:
harnin arrows: 41
Acolyte Avery's Ledger
Keep of the Rising Sun
... During the two days that Taylar is in the hole, Maka will buy some more arrows... and... meditating...
OOC: Arrows are sold in groups of 20. 40 marks was deducted from party currency.

... Taylar does not work at the smithy...
Mallen does not become angry at his son's response. "Hard headed like his mother..."

Taylar will camp outside of Outpost, with Maka if he allows it. He returns to Outpost when Adisakti is released, and when the group is ready, he will go with them to speak to Priest Luminet.
Raven Elk... about having some of the swords turned into metal spearheads and (harnin)-tipped javelins...
OOC: Raven Elk already has the spear of which he is asking to be made.

Adisakti is even angrier than Taylar, taking some time before he is even able to speak. Once he does, he is adamant. Learning that Raven Elk wants javelins, he gives his three to him.

"No. No. I am getting something out of these swords. Here Raven, you can have these javelins. I have an idea for a throwing weapon where I can carry more of them. I also want a sword more suited to my agile nature. Maybe one day I will stick it in my father. What kind of a man advocates starving his own son."

He has Mallen repurpose five of the swords into smaller, thinner, weighted blades. He then ties strings of leather to the dull end to act as flight guides. Once out of town he practices with them until he can throw them as far as he could the javelins.
OOC: The number of swords was adjusted and 100 marks were deducted from party currency.

Maka's father welcomes the men. He listens, talks, and offers food and tobacco. "Religious conflicts are the worst. No matter what is said or done, it takes generations to change the manner in which a people believes. Faith cannot be forced. I have not witnessed the atrocity you men have seen, but if you believe it will continue when no one else can see it, you have the opportunity to protect those who cannot protect themselves. You are welcome to stay but I think it will be best, if war is to come, that you be more motile, more self-sufficient. I know you have the talent."

Once outside of town, Vittero talks with the group. "This is a good thing, us leaving. It looks as if we are ostracized. Heck if we are not now, we will be soon enough. We should call ourselves The Outcasts. I say we go get some attention. Make these killers try to come for us instead of preying on small villages that cannot defend themselves."

"Anyway, I talked to my father. We do not need to go back and visit again. He said that the Divine Praetor will be sending people to repair villages that were attacked. Obviously that cannot mean the Pelimonra village. They are all dead, except that one boy. Acolytes are to be sent to my father for training, too. One of the Ministers of Light was arrested in conjunction with these events. He will be given opportunity to name his accomplices before being burned to death. Burned to death... One sickness after another. I think these people are all power drunk, but my father would not hear of it, he explained a lot of blah, blah, blah about it but I had quit listening."

"Here is what I think we should do. There are too many small villages and they are too spread out. I think we should make our camp near West Cove and spy on the comings and going of any group that is specific to the Luminous Religion. If any look like a war party instead of builders, we follow them away from the kingdom and take them out. I cannot see it taking very long to make ourselves a target. What say you?"

OOC: All characters receive 5 DP.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
the Divine Praetor will be sending people to repair villages that were attacked.
Taylar bristles at that. "Taking all the credit, no doubt."

Of Vittero's plan, Taylar says, "Agreed. Now that my much spoken of temper has cooled, I am thinking we should not be too quick to push all the people of Outpost aside. When next we return to this place I will make attempts to smooth over what damage my demonstration caused."

While practicing with his gran-baton, Taylar still feels like it is too slow. He experiments with single handed blunt weapons, like dual-wielding maces.
OOC: If necessary, he will invent the mace.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka will ask Mallen if any of the metal from the swords could be fashioned into small dowels, to replace the wooden dowels that serve to reinforce his Batting Bracers and his Batting Greaves. His thought is, since the dowels are small, the weight difference would be small to middling, while the protection offered would be far superior. He will also inquire as to whether or not better boots can be had in town. (He is currently wearing sheepskin boots.)

SIDE NOTE: Maka is all for Vittero's idea of camping near West Cove and taking out war parties. He will definitely come along on that venture.

MacConnell

harnin short swords: 14
Coins:
  • chest of various coins
  • marks: 271
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust:
harnin arrows: 41
Acolyte Avery's Ledger
Keep of the Rising Sun
Maka will ask Mallen if any of the metal from the swords could be fashioned into small dowels... He will also inquire as to whether or not better boots can be had in town...
Mallen shakes his head and informs Maka that such work would need to be conducted at a forge, not a smithy. He explains the concept of the matter better than sufficiently. Maka learns that goatskin boots are better than sheepskin and trades up for a pair at the discounted price of 50 marks, including trade in.
OOC: Goatskin Boots: coverage 20%, hinder 8, deflect 8, soak 3

After some work at the forge, Taylar returns with two equal length maces with (harnin) heads...
OOC: Bludgeons: hinder 40, damage 10 MInd

0558735B-350C-4400-9E62-9693B88FD0EA.png

The Outcasts, as Vittero has taken to calling himself and friends after receiving no objection, make the two hour trip northward to allow Taylar to work on his weapon idea and the forge of the mining camp. The smith listens to Taylar and provides some assistance. There is nothing descriptive about the swords, so no one thinks anything of having a few melted down to repurpose.

After listening to the armor idea from Maka, the smith shakes his head. "I am sorry young man, but I do not have the skill the necessary equipment to make such small rods. I like your idea. It has merit, but I cannot accommodate you at this time.

Disappointed but not yet discouraged, Maka resolves to hold the idea.

The next day, the men prepare to make the long walk toward West Cove, about 14 hours of walking to reach the former Pelimonra Village and another 10, at least, to reach West Cove. During the recent visit to town, Vittero was able to procure a crude map of the area. There is a distinct road way that follows the river from Outpost to Pelimonra Village to West Cove.

After 8 hours of typical travel the party pauses at the sight of the strangest thing. Two adult porcupines are facing one another, nose to nose, in the middle of the path. There are grunting and making other noises while sauntering in a circle, spinning right, always nose to nose. It is unclear if these are two males arguing over something or some courting ritual, as differences in gender are not readily distinguishable as a distance. Porcupines are known to be rather good eating, but their quills are quite a hazard; and though the beasts only stand about half a stride in height, they can be quite aggressive.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases