TUW: The Outpost

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Not wanting this stranger to think they are spying on him, Taylar steps out in the open, waves with a friendly smile and says, "Greetings. We are peaceful traders looking for new markets for our goods."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Current Inventory:
4-Wheeled Cart pulled by 2 donkeys (In Refuge with Vittero)
harnin short swords: 14 (In Refuge)
Coins:
  • chest of various coins (In Refuge)
  • marks: 171
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull (In Refuge)
Minerals:
  • Slate: 62: {Thump x2}
  • Flint: 10 {Heat x2}
  • Coal: 1: {Heat x3}
  • Bloodstone: 2: {Confluence +1}
  • Sunstone: 9: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Heartstone: 5: {Confluence +1}
  • Lodestone: 1 {shock x2}
Ores:
  • Zinc Ingots: 1: {Health +1, Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingot: 1: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Lead Ingot: 10: {- Body x2}
  • Iron Ingot: 1 {Confluence +1, Mend x2}
  • Calcium Ingot: 1: {Cohesion +1, Restore x2}
Plants:
  • Itch Weed: 1 measure {acidity x2}
  • Lighter Pine: 8 measures {heat x2}
  • Mend Leaves: 3 measure {+ Body x2}
  • Muddle Leaves: 2 measure {- Mind x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 2 measure {+ Mind x2}
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust: ??
  • Grizzly Claws: 20: ??
OOC:
Taylar: full wellness
Spaulders: 18
Tunic: 57
Raven Elk: full wellness
Buckler: 19
tunic: 57
Adisakti: full wellness
javelins: 3
Acolyte Avery's Ledger (In Refuge)
GM said:
The man appears to be the thinnest, middle-aged Markidian any of them has seen, thin enough that he may be Faethrin instead of Aedaman, but none of the party has ever seen a gray-skinned Faethrin.
... Taylar... "Greetings..."
The man turns at the sound of voice. He does not smile or gesture or offer any sign of friendliness. He nods twice then turns back to walk under the covered structure. He picks up a dark stick and stirs each of the four, large containers before setting the stick aside.

Unsure as how to exactly gauge this behavior, the Outliers separate slightly but wait without approaching closer. The man steps back out in the open and dusts off his hands. He speaks in Markidian with no odd accent and no hint of emotion. "Traders, no? Hmm. I think not. An Aedaman, who is not Markidian, a Faethrin, and a Mhytre, all young men, traveling together and speaking the common language of the Kingdom? Maybe you are explorers or former scouts, but I doubt that West Cove would employ you with their current religious bent. What do you really want?"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar shrugs, but does not take his eyes off the man. "Well, we are peaceful when we can manage it. We did just do a bit of trading, so we are traders. We have explored a few places, but not much came of it. I've never scouted anything, but we have been in a few battles, so you could call us warriors too. What we really want is merely information. You mentioned West Cove and their religion. Do you know much about them?"

MacConnell

Coins:
Animal Parts:
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
OOC:
Taylar shrugs... "Well... You mentioned West Cove and their religion. Do you know much about them?"
The man laughs. "Naglyy osel. Most Maldrog think with their fists. Are you not a clever one? And a Shimadow who does not seem a sociopath, watching everything but me. And then you, calm a quiet, a Kinamin, I surmise, yet I have never met a Kinamin who was not a complete lunatic. Hmm.."

"Yes I know something of West Cove. How much? Hard to say. This town here was Markidian too. It was once the seat of their religion, but I guess it did not do to have the office of religion on the opposite side of the bay from the seat of the king. Religion, though, is the pursuit of old men and superstitious fools. You three are young men. Are you superstitious fools?"

Adisakti separates from the others a little further as the man answers. HIs movement seems nonchalant, maybe curiosity at the surroundings, though apparently the man is not fooled.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar chuckles and makes sure his hands are close to his bludgeons. "You're pretty clever yourself, old man. Your back handed insults are something I might hear from an adolescent, but you claim you have never meet anyone like us? You must have spent too much time at this smelly tanner station. I'm not surprised to see you here alone. You're about as friendly as a giant badger I once killed, with my fists, of course. No, we are not superstitious fools, but we have run into a few. They were wearing matching leather armor that we took off their corpses. We were wondering if that armor was made around here."
He will look around to make sure that this old man isn't distracting them to set up an ambush.
98(+46)=144

MacConnell

Coins:
Animal Parts:
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
OOC:
Taylar chuckles and... will look around...
98(+46)=144
Raven Elk... grips his spear...
ecology + clarity + d100
Taylar: 32 + 24 + 144 = 200
Adisakti: 29 + 24 + 97 = 150
Raven Elk: 22 + 26 + 50 = 98
Not only does it not appear that anyone else is about, it appears that no one else has ever been about, at least not for a very long time. The path that the Outliers took to arrive appears to be the only one to and from the hovel. Though anyone could easily slip in and out of the forests, there is no other path.

The elder man nods his head and smiles. Even at 10 strides distance, the smile, while showing amusement, does not seem friendly. It is also obvious that the man notices the wariness. "Well I guess that about ends the idle banter. I would say we each have exchanged enough words to gauge the acuity of one another. No, I do not have anyone lurking in the bushes. Even if I could not hurt or kill the lot of you three, I will trust my skill to escape. It is a big forest out there."

"So you killed some soldiers, did you? Just based on your phraseology, it would not be a unit for whom I make armor. You would have said it differently. I am quite the proficient leatherworker, but the fabric ones are made right there in West Cove."

At this point Adisakti decides to get involved. "Okay clever man. You talk a good game, but you are not getting all of these skins by yourself. That is what you are doing in the one used building in town. Why all the subterfuge? Why would making armor need to be a secret?"

The man sneers. "Secret!? Maybe like you big friend here says, I am across the bay because of the stink. I trade with some locals for the hides."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
It Taylar detects no one near, he drops all pretense, and all friendliness. With hands on his hips, he says, "We didn't just target some soldiers for the fun of it. We killed those that slaughtered a village, and then those that would attack us for that reason. Let's put aside this silly banter. Do you support the efforts of this religious war? If not, we can talk about how to stop it. If you do support it, . . . " He lets his hands rest idly on his bludgeons.
100(+16)=116

Waynan

Adventurer
"And," Raven Elk interjects, "if all you do is make armor, what do you 'trade' other than said armor for the hides? Again...And...if that is the case, who are you armoring, and to what purpose?"

MacConnell

Coins:
Animal Parts:
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
OOC:
... Taylar... drops all pretense... "... Do you support the efforts of this religious war?...
100(+16)=116
"And," Raven Elk interjects, "... what do you 'trade'... for the hides?... who are you armoring, and to what purpose?"
Coerce + various Collegiate + d100
Taylar:40 + 24(muddle) + 116 = 180
Man: 50(skepticism) + 30(analysis) + 88(d100) = 138 < 180
The man laughs. It is genuine. He then smiles in a vulpine manner. "Ty sovsem ne ovsta na zaklaniye. That is to say in Amiradthan that you are not sheep for slaughter. You are stand-outs. Not ones for the bandwagon of fools."

He stretches slightly as if in readiness that the continually provocative situation may indeed turn violent. He does not appear concerned. "Of course I support the war. I support any war as long as it is not on my doorstep. War is profitable. Spare me the morality. People die anyway. The how does not matter after they are dead."

"Like the Shimadow surmised, I use the one building in town. A man, usually with an armed unit comes to pay for the armor. I make the armor for women. He comes with men. I have never seen those women. In addition to what he pays me, which is not your concern, he brings trinkets and baubles that I pay the indigenous clan that brings me the hides. He brings specifications for the next batch when he brings me my pay."

"I was a leatherworker here when this village was still occupied. I think the man keeps me a secret because I am Amiradtha not Markidian. It would not do for a pronounced tribalist to be discovered to harbor no tribalism."
GM: NOTE: There are three races and 27 tribes. A tribalist is more prejudiced than a racists.

"So you boys want to kill me. Have a go. It will not end this war. He will find another armorer."
OOC: Each character receives 8 DP and improves in Amiradthan proficiency by 1%.

Remove ads