TUW: The Outpost

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Current Inventory:
4-Wheeled Cart pulled by 2 donkeys (In Refuge with Vittero)
harnin short swords: 14 (In Refuge)
Coins:
  • chest of various coins (In Refuge)
  • marks: 171
Animal Parts:
  • Grizzly Skull (In Refuge)
Minerals:
  • Slate: 62: {Thump x2}
  • Flint: 4 {Heat x2}
  • Coal: 1: {Heat x3}
  • Bloodstone: 2: {Confluence +1}
  • Sunstone: 9: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Heartstone: 5: {Confluence +1}
  • Lodestone: 1 {shock x2}
Ores:
  • Zinc Ingots: 1: {Health +1, Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingot: 1: {Persona +1, Muddle x2}
  • Lead Ingot: 10: {- Body x2}
  • Iron Ingot: 1 {Confluence +1, Mend x2}
  • Calcium Ingot: 1: {Cohesion +1, Restore x2}
Plants:
  • Itch Weed: 1 measure {acidity x2}
  • Lighter Pine: 8 measures {heat x2}
  • Mend Leaves: 3 measure {+ Body x2}
  • Muddle Leaves: 2 measure {- Mind x2}
  • Soothe Leaf: 2 measure {+ Mind x2}
Unknown Items:
  • Angry Spirit Dust: ??
  • Grizzly Claws: 20: ??
OOC:
Taylar: full wellness
Spaulders: 18
Tunic: 57 - 2 - 6 - 2 - 6 = 41
Raven Elk: full wellness
Buckler: 19
tunic: 57 - 4 -6 - 1 = 46
Adisakti: full wellness
Tunic: 57 - 5 - 6 - 2 = 44
Acolyte Avery's Ledger (In Refuge)
Taylar agrees. "Okay..."
Adisakti frowns and shakes his head. "Yea, Fine. We go."

Vittero tries to lend some encouragement. "I know it is difficult, if not nearly impossible, to feel motivated to help a people who seem so complacent toward oppression. It has been five years since any word of an incident, and everyone seems to have forgotten how all of this started with Cathedral Soldiers conquering outlying villages, including the one in which we are standing."

"They cannot see the danger that is as plain as the nose on my face, at least it is to five of us. That is why heroes are needed, and you are champions instead of mercenaries. How could we have known all those years ago that being a hero would generate so little wealth and most especially so little respect?"

"I have established this village as its new name sake, but I pay my homage to the Cathedral. They have more voices than I do and they have more notoriety. If I did not, they could easily brand me as a thief, and I could not demonstrate that they are, in fact, extortionists. As it stands, I have two acolytes that I am training, and I have some power to command lower troops. I could likely go to the Centrin Village and command the troops to leave, but that would make me a target. Assassins would be sent for me until one eventually succeeded."

"I have enough influence right here that any direct conflict in Refuge would be seen as an open act of war. These people are too smart for that. The Centrin Village is far enough away that if those soldiers are killed, it will take time before it is noticed and other can be sent. I suspect that scouts are being sent about to locate other removed communities."

"Once a community is conquered, it is rebuilt and new leadership is established, with loyalty and homage being demanded by the Cathedral. This is the real trick. Once a community is paying its due, they are pretty much left alone, except for the occasional 'heretic' arrest. Give it another five years and all these people will be the jailers of their own prison."

"The only other option I see would be to leave this area entirely and let the plague overrun it. If I do that, they will gain the people and means to be a threat to the entire land. I see this as their endgame."

Adisakti says, "You always were a good talker. See if you can learn anything of where those Daughters of Dawn are being trained."

Vittero nods. "Will do."
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk can keep it from his friends no longer.
He tells them about his dreams and how the man who came to Sioliri, who called himself the Sword of Justice, was the very same one in his dreams.
He waits upon his friend's counsel.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
About the Sword of Justice, Taylar says in Rheini, "Maybe you can meditate about this enemy while manipulating waylines. It might give you further insight. Something in the inventory might help you."
About the Centrin village trip, he says in Markidian, "It seems like we're always cleaning up after bad guys, but if we're going to travel there, we should head out soon. We will pass through Outpost on that way. Is there any message you would like us to bring?"
Taylar will gather appropriate supplies for a journey.

MacConnell

Coins:
Animal Parts:
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
OOC:
Raven Elk can keep it from his friends no longer.
He tells them... the man who came to (Refuge), who called himself the Sword of Justice, was the very same one in his dreams...
About the Sword of Justice, Taylar says...
Vittero rather than Adisakti responds. "This sounds to be of some portent. I think your dream may have some divine focus. That man could be the power while the 'Divine Praetor' is just a mouth piece. I will see what more I can learn."
About the Centrin village trip...
Adisakti replies, "I think we may get a little more than cleaning duties on this one. Sounds like we get to exact some pay-back. I was also thinking we may want to avoid Outpost and the Mines so that no one from there would know of our passage."

Vittero says, "That may be for the best. You are welcome to stage all activity from here. I will provide you with some rations and water. You can conduct trade through here as well, but don't bring any complete suits of definitive armor. Speaking of armor, the Rheini that are providing meat are able to do competent repair on leather."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
we may want to avoid Outpost and the Mines so that no one from there would know of our passage
Taylar asks, "I don't mind going around, but why? After five years of inactivity, who would be watching our trips back to home?"

Last edited:

MacConnell

Taylar asks, "... but why?...
Adisakti answers. "I am thinking further along. If we find soldiers in that village, and we eliminate that problem, and we were seen traveling that direction, people will deduce we are the cause. After five years of complacency, some may be further deluded into thinking we are the enemy. I am not really concerned for us, but I do not want our families jeopardized or specifically questioned from our activity."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Coins:
Animal Parts:
Minerals:
Ores:
Plants:
Unknown Items:
OOC:
Taylar asks, "I don't mind... but why?..."
Adisakti answers. "I am thinking further along..."
Taylar says, "Ok..."
Raven Elk also agrees with Adi's plan...
4FE0E673-95E1-4270-8F15-DA93D99F4468.jpeg

It is a day's walk to Outpost from Refuge (Pelimonra Village). In the past five years the Outliers have made the journey many times, visiting family and friends and establishing regular contact and the trade of information, but they have never had any reason to go to the mines, another two hours north. They have always come and gone from the south. This time is no different. The visit is kept to a day, then the three men head back south toward Refuge, or so everyone would think.

Once out of sight, the direction changes. The men move from the road to the wood, away from the river. It is fairly simple to keep the proper direction. When reaching the road that runs west to east from Outpost to Boga City, no one is on it, and it is quickly crossed in the dark. There is almost always enough moonlight to travel at night, though not sufficient for much else. It is about the middle of the night when the fire lights of the mining area come into view. Activity is nil and the men enter the roadway to continue on northward.

Entering the forest again, everyone is able to get a little rest before dawn. Traveling on, the faint sounds of an unfamiliar language indicate the nearness of the Centrin village. The early light still casts long shadows upon the ground and the men are able to get close despite the thinning trees.

Taking a day to spy the community from outside. It is noted that tactics have changed dramatically since the destruction of the Pelimonra Village. The Centrin people seem to be going about their usual lives, though Cathedral Soldiers do occupy the town and occasionally give directive to a villager. The language barrier is an inhibitor. As is typical, most people just ignore the intruders unless it is unavoidable; but some, older ones with greater skepticism, leer and sneer, grumbling under their breath.

At midday a bell is sounded and everyone moves toward the center of the village. Cover must be broken to close, but all attention, even that of the soldiers, is focused inward, making the task doable. Some young priest-want-to-be. is pointing, with a slender reed, at the chard remains of a person who had been burned at a stake, while speaking to the people in Markidian. The people do not understand what is being said, but they have obviously been conditioned to listen. The Outliers understand the propaganda perfectly. The young man is admonishing the people and speaking ill of the dead. It is basically the same mantra about 'living under the Light.' At the end of the speech, small trinkets, probably some indicators of commerce, are left in a bowl for the 'priest,' then people go on about their day.

It grates on Adisakti who later says, "These people are being conditioned to change their way of life. Most of them are not going to care because they cannot for see the implications."

There are 10 soldiers in all, but they usually wander about in pairs, and one young priest, who does not seem to venture much from one house.

Remove ads