TV shows that improved on the source

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've probably seen most of the TV series twice over the decades (one of my all time faves)... but am embarrassed to say I've never seen the movie or read the novel. Both worth checking out?

Yes, the movie is closer to the book and have a darker tone than the TV series. A big part of the story concerns a contemplated suicide and how the MASH team react to it ...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've probably seen most of the TV series twice over the decades (one of my all time faves)... but am embarrassed to say I've never seen the movie or read the novel. Both still worth checking out?

I’ve never read the book, but the movie is excellent. It feels a lot rougher around the edges because it its style and be prepared to turn your irony receptors up. Very early episodes of the TV show feel more like the movie before they got a lot more polished.

I've probably seen most of the TV series twice over the decades (one of my all time faves)... but am embarrassed to say I've never seen the movie or read the novel. Both still worth checking out?

Well, I honestly have actually read the book but I've read enough to know that IMO the show/movie improved on it. The original novel consisted mostly of the characters engaging in wacky fratboy hijinx and boasting about how much sex they have (and showed a truly awful degree of sexism* to boot) *
"Trapper" got his nickname for using a train toilet to take advantage of his prom date and nobody seems to care that this may have been rape as long as he 'got some'; 'Me Lay' is famous for using his absurdly crass pick-up line, "Me lay, you lay," to acquire a stupendous 'batting average'; the doctors' only interest in the epileptic whore down at the local brothel is in how much fun it is to have your penis inside her when she has a seizure; the reputation of the unit depends in part on the size of the dentist's male organ; the list goes on and on

Zardnaar

Legend
Bit deeper into Highlander season 1.

Heavy on the damsel in distress trope but it's better than most of the film's.

Highlander 1 hasn't aged well, neither has the show but it's kinda fun in a corny way.

Villain of the week, corny music, drugs are bad subthemes.

They're in Paris now and from memory but gets better season 2-4 or so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases