• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tweaks I'd like to see for Specialties

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
None of these seem big to me, but each of them seems to offer more options for players looking to create non-traditional characters. Are any of these obviously broken based on what we’ve been given so far? Any thoughts appreciated. Are there tweaks you’d like to see? (I’m just keeping to the original list in the Playtest document for now).

In each case, I’m defining “tweak” as something that could be covered by adding or taking away a single sentence in the description.

1. Archer. Tweak: able to be used with targetted ranged spells, so that clerics and wizards have viable access to the feat chain.

2. Dual Wielder. Tweak: feat chain able to be used with a quarterstaff. (I’d prefer the tweak here than with the equipment list).

3. Magic User. Tweak: cantrips able to be cast in armor. (That might actually be better in the spell descriptions in How to Play. I’d also want this to apply to the High Elf, if it doesn’t already.)

4. Necromancer. Tweak: Aura of Souls able to be used with Necromancy spells or with a weapon. (And so one can get advantage for an attack (a) after killing someone and (b) spending an action to hold their soul momentarily.)

4. b. Necromancer again. I’d also like the language of Aura of Souls tweaked – converting the energy of a departing soul seems pretty extreme for a first-level effect, and would be better as “temporarily holding” the departing soul, using “part of its essence” to achieve advantage.

Thoughts? Is any of this obviously broken?

Last edited:

1. Archer. Tweak: able to be used with targetted ranged spells, so that clerics and wizards have viable access to the feat chain.

Huh. I don't know that it's broken, but it definitely feels strange.

2. Dual Wielder. Tweak: feat chain able to be used with a quarterstaff. (I’d prefer the tweak here than with the equipment list).

Sure, why not?

3. Magic User. Tweak: cantrips able to be cast in armor. (That might actually be better in the spell descriptions in How to Play. I’d also want this to apply to the High Elf, if it doesn’t already.)

I don't have a problem with casting cantrips in armor.

4. Necromancer. Tweak: Aura of Souls able to be used with Necromancy spells or with a weapon. (And so one can get advantage for an attack (a) after killing someone and (b) spending an action to hold their soul momentarily.)

Thoroughly awesome!

4. b. Necromancer again. I’d also like the language of Aura of Souls tweaked – converting the energy of a departing soul seems pretty extreme for a first-level effect, and would be better as “temporarily holding” the departing soul, using “part of its essence” to achieve advantage.

The 'destroying souls' fluff seemed pretty extreme to me too.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I support the expansion of necromancy backgrounds to be usable by melee combatants. Your soul is mine!

With what we have now, it really only would work for High Elves, but I do like the thought of a high elf rogue or fighter with the necromancer specialty. That's already possible, but Aura of Souls gives no benefit -- just waiting for third level to get the undead servant!

Thoroughly awesome! <snip>

The 'destroying souls' fluff seemed pretty extreme to me too.

Thanks for this!

Drago Rinato

Explorer
I like all the tweaks!

but...

1) archer for spells, the secondary aspect of the spell (like shocking grasp or ray of cold) must be applied to only one of the targets or halved.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
All solid tweaks and agree with all.

One I would like to see is the Feats each Specialty grants being listed, so you can chose the order you take them.

EG: Dual-Wielder: Why can't one focus on TW Defense before attack?

So under specialty, they could just have the list of feats appropriate. (They could still have an order for those that want it simplified, but it needs to be made clear whether the choices can be mixed up. Listing them by level is VERY confusing. Is level a prerequisite? It doesn't say so in the actual Feat description. Are Feats going to be all graded by level now? I so wish they would answer this question).

I just realized how nasty a necromancer rogue could be, gaining advantage for his sneak attacks whenever he likes... Scary!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a magic item to let you hang onto a certain number of souls for longer, too.

vagabundo

Adventurer
There is no good justification for armour interfering with spell casting. They need to get rid of that restriction and build it into the proficiencies or ability requirements.

triqui

Adventurer
None of these seem big to me, but each of them seems to offer more options for players looking to create non-traditional characters. Are any of these obviously broken based on what we’ve been given so far? Any thoughts appreciated. Are there tweaks you’d like to see? (I’m just keeping to the original list in the Playtest document for now).

In each case, I’m defining “tweak” as something that could be covered by adding or taking away a single sentence in the description.

Nop.
Archer "twin strike" feat is supposed to be balance because you do half damage. With spells, often the damage is not really relevant. A "twin" ice-ray that can do 1d3+slow to two enemies is quite better than a single 1d6+slow to one.
And that's just with the few spells we currently have. If you factor in the not-seeing-yet spells, this can go out of hand quickly, imho.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads