D&D 5E Twilight Cleric, a play report (DM's perspective)

If I had to guess, it's because I think one of the primary deities most associated with this domain would be Sehanine Moonbow, and the Martial Weapon Proficiency allows her clerics to use the Longbow. That's why I assume the proficiency was given.
Makes sense, though surely the vast majority of clerics of Sehanine Moonbow would be elves, and therefore proficient with the longbow already?

Maybe it's just so the half-elves don't feel left out.

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, but doing this does cause a bit of an issue because the longbow user will usually be more than 30' away from the melee combatants. And since a PC only refreshes their THP if then end their turn in the aura... what'll usually have to occur is the melee characters delaying their first round actions to stay back with the cleric in order to gain the THP at the end of their first turn... and then rush up in round 2 to attack. But even then, once those THP get knocked off from them they'll be so far ahead of the longbow-wielding Twilight cleric that the THP won't ever refresh (unless the cleric remains closer up within six squares of the melee combatants.)

That's also why the Twilight clerics have martial weapon proficiency because they are expected to go into melee with the other melee warriors so they will always be within the aura to get their THP refreshed each round.

I guess you can just do a DEX build so, depending on the situation, you can go Longbow or Rapier. Though if I was going melee only I'd pick a pole arm I would fluff as a guandao since it's also known has a 'reclining moon blade'. Plus, ya know, REACH!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yeah, it's very strong, especially in conjunction with a large number of low hp allies/summons. Fortunately the player who has it is not particularly tactical, so it lets them make a major contribution without needing to have tactical skill. I would hate to see it in the hands of a tactical genius.

I would suggest this change to start off with: the temp hp granted expire at the end of the recipient's next turn if unused.

That way at least they have to stay in the AoE and they can't take the temp hp on to the next fight.
Thankfully my player is also not a tactical genius - he's not bad, but he could be better. (in fact, it's surprising how the cleric is a very tactically demanding class).

Having the temp HP expire wouldn't follow temp HP rules, but it might be needed... with the twilight power renewing on short rests however...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Here is another "permutation" we found out about this ability.

It lasts a minute (10 rounds). Say you have a fight that last 4 rounds. Well, it means there are 6 more rounds of the PCs rolling each round to see if they can get the max temp HP allowed by the power (and then they get to keep that - in this case, 12 temp HP). So even if the power is not used in the next encounter, it still leaves everyone with 12 temp HP, which is not insignificant at level 6...

We are aware of this, it's still very potent.
Very potent indeed.

Some back-of-the-envelope math: my level 3 tempest cleric uses twilight sanctuary and grants himself 1d6+3 thp or 6.5 avg. His HP, assuming con +2, is 24. This ability has the potential to double his "staying power" after just 4 rounds (7 rounds at level 20). He can do this 1/SR, increasing to 2/SR at 6th and 3/SR 18th. That's most fights at low level and pretty much every fight from level 6 onward for just one person. The effect gets multiplied by keeping allies within 30 feet, which is a generous range.

Compared to a Shephard Druid's Bear Totem, Inspiring Leader Feat, Heroism spell, Glamour Bards Mantle of Inspiration, Warlock's Demonic Vigor, etc none of them really even come close. That's kinda crazy since I view most of those as solid or better abilities all by themselves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases