D&D 5E Twitch Breach and huge data dump with some purporting CR earned $9 million over three years

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Im all for a right of privacy however, the streamers who’s details are leaked make money from public donations and advertising revenues funded by their viewers. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to know how much they are getting paid for that.

Was going to reply but Mod note so nevermind.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah. Using leaks like this to discuss the earnings of private businesses... is pretty sleazy. I mean, I doubt few here would be happy if their own financial information was made available on the internet.
Honestly I don't know why people get so cagey about the money they make. I've always been completely open about that stuff (even when my contract said I couldn't disclose my pay to other employees!). I already know some people don't earn enough and some earn to much, everything else is just to what degree.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly I don't know why people get so cagey about the money they make.

I'm glad you don't know. It means you have likely not experienced the social pressures and conflicts that can come from others knowing how much you do, or do not, earn.

You live in a world in which many, many people judge your personal worth and character, one way or another, based on how much money you make.

dave2008

Legend
I'm glad you don't know. It means you have likely not experienced the social pressures and conflicts that can come from others knowing how much you do, or do not, earn.

You live in a world in which many, many people judge your personal worth and character, one way or another, based on how much money you make.
I live in that world too. I guess I don't generally judge others by what they earn, nor does the judgement of others really bother me that much (at least in terms of what I earn - though I am generally a bit detached as well).

I do want to clarify that I completely understand that what does and doesn't bother me is a me issue. I don't judge people for being skittish about what they or others earn, I just don't truly understand it in a way the makes logical or emotional sense to me.

I understand what you are saying. But those are "bad things". The only ones I'm aware of that benefit from keeping salaries (different than personal wealth) private are those at the top. i.e. businesses benefit if employees don't know what other employees make.

I'm not an anti-business or anti-wealth type of person, ... guess I can't continue as I think I'm going into a forbidden topic.

Let just say, we shouldn't let social pressures embarrass or define us. Nor is it beneficial to fair wages or even RPG authors making a living wage.

dave2008

Legend
I understand what you are saying. But those are "bad things". The only ones I'm aware of that benefit from keeping salaries (different than personal wealth) private are those at the top. i.e. businesses benefit if employees don't know what other employees make.

I'm not an anti-business or anti-wealth type of person, ... guess I can't continue as I think I'm going into a forbidden topic.

Let just say, we shouldn't let social pressures embarrass or define us. Nor is it beneficial to fair wages or even RPG authors making a living wage.
That is a good point, it was my first "real" job out college that had a clause that I couldn't disclose my salary - and that just rubbed me the wrong way. My whole outlook on this issue may have been colored by that one event.

Why would anyone worry about how 'many, many people' judge their 'worth and character'? This is a cage that many of us build for ourselves: being beholden to what others think.

Remove ads