D&D 5E Twitch Breach and huge data dump with some purporting CR earned $9 million over three years

I think you underestimate the damage class-motivated harassment can do.
I'm not estimating anything. I'm saying "it" is "bad".

How often does this forum rage against harassments of minorities (sex, gender, race, etc)? And now you (and others?) are saying, "oh, harassments is so bad and damaging we should just avoid it by hiding."

You folks are making me feel like a raging liberal yelling against injustice. I thought I was far from that. But really? So now are we trying to say that people should not express themselves in whatever way they chose because they will be harassed? That LGBTQ folks should "stay in the closet" because of the damage gender based harassment can do? That pretty young women should not dress in some way unless they expect people to treat them like (some label of your choice)?

Why would accepting the harassments or judgement of people based upon the wage they make in their job be different than accepting harassment and judgement based upon one's gender identify? Or ethnicity? Or what tattoos or piercings they have?

Vaalingrade

Legend
You don't fight harassment by just blithely opening yourself up to more harassment needlessly, especially not just to sate other peoples' curiosity.

People on the internet talking about how much critical role made twitch are like critical role is BIGGER then D&D or IS D&D, it's like dude CR made 9 million over 3 years from twitch, D&D made like what $100 million last year alone.

CR is just valuable advertising for D&D, very valuable, but it's just one major tributary in a host of tributaries, D&D doesn't live or die on CRs continued patronage.

darjr

I crit!
People on the internet talking about how much critical role made twitch are like critical role is BIGGER then D&D or IS D&D, it's like dude CR made 9 million over 3 years from twitch, D&D made like what $100 million last year alone.

CR is just valuable advertising for D&D, very valuable, but it's just one major tributary in a host of tributaries, D&D doesn't live or die on CRs continued patronage.
Ha! Really? Any links?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
You don't fight harassment by just blithely opening yourself up to more harassment needlessly, especially not just to sate other peoples' curiosity.

I think that a lot of bad, bad things have been done under the cover of this type of secrecy. It (keeping salaries and compensation a secret) is a weird element that has been ingrained in our culture that pretty much only benefits "the man."

For example, a lot of times you will see that companies and industries are able to systemically pay marginal/disadvantaged worked less (women or minorities) because they know that salaries aren't public; it's only when one worker learns that they are making less than their comparable peers that this can be corrected.

It also immensely helps companies in their bargaining positions; it's really hard for a lot of workers to know "what they're worth" if, well, they don't know what other people are making. Is the employer's offer of $0.50 an hour more a really good deal, or are they taking advantage of you?

..obviously, this last one is also a product of fewer unions. When there is a unionized workplace, people know what the payscales are. Because they have been collectively bargained.

But for the most part, keeping salaries secret serves only to benefit companies and the wealthiest.

In terms of gaming, we can see this as well- I am sure a lot of people misunderstand what the "celebrities" in written TTRPGs can make. It is great that people are publishing their salary information. It will also help others, who are similarly situated, determine if they are making a good salary for their work and experience.

The more that is shared by workers, the more collective knowledge, the better their bargaining position.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I agree as far as it goes with voluntary talking about what you make. Policies that keep people from discussing that is pure scumbaggery.

Both I draw the line at using that to absolve people stealing and posting other peoples' information without permission.

Remove ads