Twitter is a poor place

JarooAshstaff

Explorer
Some people have real followings, like Matt Mercer with 600k followers, but even then he only gets 1500 likes when he announces the next episode of CR is starting.
But he will get 20k likes if he tells everyone to look after themselves.

When it comes to people who run the best podcasts in DnD examining the game or modules or products. Man its so hard for them, usually like 2k - 6k followers only after 5 years of podcasting. Maybe they get 20 or 30 likes on posts.

Where my eyes to start to tear up is when people like Ed Greenwood, the grandfather of 2nd edition novels, uses it to write content for the FR every single day. As much as I loved the realms, I cannot take this format Ed uses of 1) 2) 3).... 30) to post long stories using short tweets. And he writes 50 tweets per day. Its incredibly frustrating to have on your feed, so inevitably I, as with his other 24k followers, have to mute him.

I really blame the poor usability and design of Twitter for not evolving. I had high hopes Elon would recognize all the issues and fix them. But once he said he would reinstate someones account who tried to end democracy and have his VP murdered, well I think I realize now.

Its time to turn Twitter off.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's true, twitter is best for announcements and not a great place to drop large amounts of content or have a meaningful conversation. I dont see how any owner could fix that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's also important to remember that Twitter is just one place. I know it's easy to find yourself in a bubble and think that's the whole world, but Twitter is not the TTRPG community any more than, say, here is. There's always a whole range of ways to interact with the community, and they all tend to be fairly isolated from each other.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I really blame the poor usability and design of Twitter for not evolving.

With respect, that's like claiming that hammers should evolve because they aren't shovels. The tool has features to make it good at what it is designed to do. That people try to use it for other things is not the tool's fault.

I had high hopes Elon would recognize all the issues and fix them.

Yeah, sorry. Musk is not an expert in software, UX design, network dynamics, or social dynamics. His only hope is to hire people who know better than he does, and listen to them.

Ryujin

Legend
Some people have real followings, like Matt Mercer with 600k followers, but even then he only gets 1500 likes when he announces the next episode of CR is starting.
But he will get 20k likes if he tells everyone to look after themselves.

When it comes to people who run the best podcasts in DnD examining the game or modules or products. Man its so hard for them, usually like 2k - 6k followers only after 5 years of podcasting. Maybe they get 20 or 30 likes on posts.

Where my eyes to start to tear up is when people like Ed Greenwood, the grandfather of 2nd edition novels, uses it to write content for the FR every single day. As much as I loved the realms, I cannot take this format Ed uses of 1) 2) 3).... 30) to post long stories using short tweets. And he writes 50 tweets per day. Its incredibly frustrating to have on your feed, so inevitably I, as with his other 24k followers, have to mute him.

I really blame the poor usability and design of Twitter for not evolving. I had high hopes Elon would recognize all the issues and fix them. But once he said he would reinstate someones account who tried to end democracy and have his VP murdered, well I think I realize now.

Its time to turn Twitter off.
What you are describing is someone who is using the medium for a purpose other than that intended. Twitter is for short comments, not long form discussion or prose. Sure, I can use the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer, but wouldn't it be better to just use a hammer?

Remove ads