D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One thing about Stryxhaven is it is a very new setting. That means it's not really pinned down, especially with regards what isn't in it. Not that I think it will be the first MtG world with gem dragons, but it could be.
I could see the Dragon Subclasses fitting in very well, actually, and before the Dragon Race UA I felt the Subclasses were for Strixhaven: but based on the Dragon material in Strixhaven so far, the Dragon Races seem like...something else.

Last edited:

whimsychris123

Adventurer
Exactly. Past covers do not tell the whole story of an Adventure book, they are hooks.
Almost every past adventure cover evokes the overall theme of the adventure and more often than not, shows the main villain. I guess we'll see with this one, but it seems to indicate that the circus will play a major role in the overall adventure and may even suggest a jester or clown as a major villain, perhaps in the vein of It.

The cover is growing on me. It's just not what I was expecting for a Feywild adventure.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Apperetly the module of the Feywild may something like a "pilot episode", something like the first adventure of the Castle Ravenloft. It is a succes, then they could develope more about this plane.

I've been thinking about it - what if "Feywild: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight" is like "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist" and "Tyranny of Dragons: Hoard of the Dragon Queen" and a sequel adventure module is coming later in the Adventurer's League season? Usually that sequel module would be set for November, but we've had settings and adventures release in November at the same time before - see 2018 and Ravnica as well as Dungeon of the Mad Mage having November releases, or Eberron: Rising From the Last War and Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus in November 2019. What if the project "closing out the year" is a bigger, more Fae Feywild adventure? That would mean that the Draconic material is for 2022, but it would line up with the language from the design studio's blog.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Almost every past adventure cover evokes the overall theme of the adventure and more often than not, shows the main villain. I guess we'll see with this one, but it seems to indicate that the circus will play a major role in the overall adventure and may even suggest a jester or clown as a major villain, perhaps in the vein of It.

The cover is growing on me. It's just not what I was expecting for a Feywild adventure.
The two Shadar-Kai circus masters seem to play some major role, but are doubtless not the entire story.

Remove ads

Remove ads