D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The two Shadar-Kai circus masters seem to play some major role, but are doubtless not the entire story.
The funny thing is that the Circus was my favourite Domain of Dread. It seemed the most interesting and with the most potential to move the PCs into and out of those Shadowfell demiplanes. Makes sense it would have the most evocative language if it was a tie-in to an adventure module's story bible.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The funny thing is that the Circus was my favourite Domain of Dread. It seemed the most interesting and with the most potential to move the PCs into and out of those Shadowfell demiplanes. Makes sense it would have the most evocative language if it was a tie-in to an adventure module's story bible.
Yeah, it was definitely a standout example, and it did leave me wondering about the Feywild connections.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Most of the reallife fairytales were recorded during the 1800s, as part of the era of romantic nationalism.

The styles of the 1800s resonate with the folklore vibe.
It also resonates with the fairy-themed Art Nouveau and Pre-Raphaelites of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

That said, real life fairy tales may have been recorded down in the 1800s by the Grimms and Lang etc but they vastly predate them, some even having roots of thousands of years of age (like "The Smith and the Devil").

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It also resonates with the fairy-themed Art Nouveau and Pre-Raphaelites of the late 1800s and early 1900s.

That said, real life fairy tales may have been recorded down in the 1800s by the Grimms and Lang etc but they vastly predate them, some even having roots of thousands of years of age (like "The Smith and the Devil").
For sure, but the average customer is going to associate Fairie with the Brothers Grimm and Disney movies, not even with Spencer let alone ancient ideas. Which makes it an interesting aesthetic partner with Ravenloft, thinking about it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
On the cover... I suspect the circus is just the beginning of the adventure, the hook that takes the character from the Prime Material (likely somewhere in Faerun) to the Feywild. Then from there the PCs probably adventure over a much bigger space; I'm fairly certain every big adventure book (with the exception of the Waterdeep ones) cover a large area, I believe this should be no different.

Second, it's entirely possible that the cover is a placeholder like the Eberron cover was (or it wasn't and they changed their minds, who knows). And we actually haven't really confirmed whether this cover is actually legit, unlike the Amazon stuff. Whoever found it isn't saying how they got it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've just notices something. Trying not to lift too much from VGR, "archfey named Zybilna"...."a traveling fey carnival that served as a gateway to Zybilna’s domain." This is the Feywild being talked about here, not Ravenloft - i.e. it's saying the Feywild has domains.

Also points to Zybilna being the Big Bad of the adventure.
Maybe. But "domains" is a word in English that isn't just a game term. They could just mean the area around her castle that she controls.

That said, structuring the Feywild to work like Ravenloft isn't a terrible idea.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On the cover... I suspect the circus is just the beginning of the adventure, the hook that takes the character from the Prime Material (likely somewhere in Faerun) to the Feywild. Then from there the PCs probably adventure over a much bigger space; I'm fairly certain every big adventure book (with the exception of the Waterdeep ones) cover a large area, I believe this should be no different.

Second, it's entirely possible that the cover is a placeholder like the Eberron cover was (or it wasn't and they changed their minds, who knows). And we actually haven't really confirmed whether this cover is actually legit, unlike the Amazon stuff. Whoever found it isn't saying how they got it.
The source is fuzzy, but my gut says it is a legitimate leaked image: it doesn't look like fan art.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
For sure, but the average customer is going to associate Fairie with the Brothers Grimm and Disney movies, not even with Spencer let alone ancient ideas. Which makes it an interesting aesthetic partner with Ravenloft, thinking about it.

Definitely. Both seem intrinsically tied to the Victorian and Romantic periods.

Maybe. But "domains" is a word in English that isn't just a game term. They could just mean the area around her castle that she controls.

That said, structuring the Feywild to work like Ravenloft isn't a terrible idea.

To be fair, Feywild isn't mirroring Ravenloft so much as the Shadowfell, which is the parent plane of the Domains of Dread. Those are demiplanes of dread pocketed in the Deep Shadow.

Feywild IS documented to have something similar to Domains of Dread - the Demesnes of various Archfey. Demesne is pronounced very similarly to Domain, as they are both descended from Anglo-French "demeine", a term in Norman property law.

Remove ads

Remove ads