D&D 5E Two New D&D Books Revealed: Feywild & Strixhaven Mage School

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786967277/?fbclid=IwAR0XJFcrq5jcCsPLRpMx--hEeSOXpDNFG1_tT6JUwB0hhXp-0wwrcXo6KhQ The Wild Beyond the...

Amazon has revealed the next two D&D hardcovers! The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is a feywild adventure due in September, and Curriculum of Chaos is a Magic: the Gathering setting of Strixhaven, which looks like a Harry Potter-esque mage school, set for November.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time.

The recent Unearthed Arcana, Folk of the Feywild, contained the fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, and rabbitfolk. UA is usually a good preview of what's in upcoming D&D books.

1622920152629.png

Curriculum of Chaos is an upcoming D&D release set in the Magic: The Gathering world of Strixhaven -- a brand new MtG set only just launched.

Strixhaven is a school of mages on the plane of Arcavios, an elite university with five rival colleges founded by dragons: Silverquill (eloquence), Prismari (elemental arts), Witherbloom (life and death), Lorehold (archaeomancy), and Quandrix (numeromancy). You can read more about the M:tG set here.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.43.56 PM.png

You will be able to tune into WotC's streamed event D&D Live on July 16 and 17 for details on both, including new character options, monsters, mechanics, story hooks, and more!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm going to be a pedant here, but I assume you mean "Hellenic" and not "Hellenistic", unless you are referring to centaurs and minotaurs as they were portrayed solely between Alexander's death and the Roman conquest of the Greek eastern Mediterranean...

Or ah, you were referring to the Hellenistic period as opposed to the Hellenic period: Hellenistic would of course refer not to Greece itself but to Egypt, the Middle East, Persia, and as far as the Hellenistic Kingdoms in India - the successor states to Alexander the Great. Greece wasn't really in a Hellenistic period between then and the rise of Rome because it was always Hellenic. This is a period of Greek imperial dominance. So maybe rather it's the depiction of Minotaurs and Centaurs in Alexandrian Persia?

No problem, as I said, I was being a pedant in that.

Although a Hellenistic setting would be a refreshing change from typical pseudo-Greek settings. Far less city-state petty wars and more Game of Thrones cutthroat fighting between huge kingdoms to emulate a conqueror's legacy and gain control of the known world...

I'd love this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Although a Hellenistic setting would be a refreshing change from typical pseudo-Greek settings. Far less city-state petty wars and more Game of Thrones cutthroat fighting between huge kingdoms to emulate a conqueror's legacy and gain control of the known world...
Yeah, can't think of too many Greek style Settigns that are aiming for the Heroic Age or the city state period. Nearest thing that comes to mind is the Pseudo-Balkans in Kobold Press's Midgard that is dealing with the encroaching Dragon Empire (decidedly Ottoman-ish). Nothing really Hellenistic, though.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The source is fuzzy, but my gut says it is a legitimate leaked image: it doesn't look like fan art.

I wouldn't call it fan art made in a couple hours, but it is possible someone grabbed a piece for some other property to use. Even if it is from the book, could just be a placeholder given to Fantasy Grounds.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn't call it fan art made in a couple hours, but it is possible someone grabbed a piece for some other property to use. Even if it is from the book, could just be a placeholder given to Fantasy Grounds.
True, it well could be the intro splash for the chapter about the Circus. It looks too much like the house style of WotC to be another property, and if it was publicly available art, someone probably would have found it with reverse image search by now. Still, taking it with a grain of salt, but it seems to be plausible.

Urriak Uruk

True, it well could be the intro splash for the chapter about the Circus. It looks too much like the house style of WotC to be another property, and if it was publicly available art, someone probably would have found it with reverse image search by now. Still, taking it with a grain of salt, but it seems to be plausible.

I find it kind of weird no one has been able to point out where it came from... I saw it posted on Reddit, but that poster didn't say either. Presumably it came from Fantasy Grounds, but there's nothing there now, so it would have to have been posted and then taken down.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find it kind of weird no one has been able to point out where it came from... I saw it posted on Reddit, but that poster didn't say either. Presumably it came from Fantasy Grounds, but there's nothing there now, so it would have to have been posted and then taken down.
I did a Google search for the book title and Fantasy Grounds after seeing the image, and there was a page listed...but it gave an error when I checked it. Could be it was up for a hot second, and someone grabbed it before they fixed their oops.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Second time asking — could you let us know your source for this image?
Not who you were asking, of course, but I found this link on a reddit post about the books. The link says they weren't able to confirm that it was the actual cover. It might just be a placeholder for Fantasy Grounds.

So... that's not actually all that helpful.

Urriak Uruk

Second time asking — could you let us know your source for this image?

Not sure if these were first, but some links;

If this was legit, than it was on Fantasy Grounds and they took it back down. If it isn't, then someone just made this and it's getting passed around.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not sure if these were first, but some links;

If this was legit, than it was on Fantasy Grounds and they took it back down. If it isn't, then someone just made this and it's getting passed around.
Those were after they were posted here and neither indicates the source. I want to confirm the source of the image. Did it actually appear on Fantasy Grounds website briefly? Or did somebody mock it up?

@LuisCarlos17f where did you get this image?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)

Just been thinking.

This is also the time of the Volcae Tectosages' invasion of Greece and Anatolia under Cambaules and his three generals: Brennos, Bolgios, and Cerethrius, likely forming the base myths for many of the most popular Celtic myth archetypes that we see echoing all the way into medieval Grail cycles in the form of the Fisher King, the Mabinogion in the form of Bendigeidfran and , and the Irish sagas. Their sacking of the Temple of Delphi and the cursed gold of Tolouse may even have been the basis of the Andvarinat/Rhinegold in the Nibelungenlied/Volsungr Saga (taken a step further, it's possible that the only reason why the gold from the Temple of Delphi wasn't cursed during the Hellenic and Hellenistic periods was because the Apollonian priesthood integrated the Python-worship of the cthonic oracle into the Apollonian rites and established the Pythian Games - the curse on the Temple's treasure goes back to the invasions of the Greeks into Minoan lands, when Python was likely created as a concept fusing the chaoskampf dragon Typhaon with the local iteration of the Minoan serpent mother goddess, Delphyne (elsewhere in the region known as Rhea). At the same time, the invasion story is also the origin for the Galatians in Anatolia.

It's a great period for exploring with D&D fantasy tropes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads