Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's less about the travel and more about the ethos that "Planescape is always right" in how it presents itself as an omni-setting that subsumes all other settings within itself.

"Planescape doesn't exist in my campaign." Tada. Done. Case closed.

I feel the above assessment is correct. The ‘multiverse’ is canon. All official settings interconnect. 5e emphasizes this. There is only one supersetting, and all other settings assimilate into it.

Unfortunately, this is what makes the D&D products less and less appealing to me.

All settings are homogenizing.

The D&D 1e spirit of create your own worlds is dead.

If the Star Trek Borg was ever a setting, Planescape is it. ‘We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.’

The polytheism is totalitarian. The sun elf is dead − only Borg elves roam existence now.

The world builder swims against a stronger current of unwanted flavor.

The damage seems to have been. Everything has been assimilated.
Check your 1e DMG again.
It mentions the multiverse very clearly.

Yaarel

He Mage
1: plenty of people are still creating their own worlds. But it's a lot of work, and some people don't have the time. It's ok!

2: you really should check out the OSR, you seem in a bit of a creative funk and I think it would cheer you up.

Yeah, it really is a funk. I was just thinking about that. This unwanted baked-in flavor is really getting to me. I really did try to remove it, but it is too ubiquitous.

What is nice about D&D 1e is how freeform it is. Everything is an option that requires effort to *opt in*. The rules are all over the place, require effort to even piece together ones own version of the rules, and there is almost no flavor. Just a sentence with a suggestion here or there to spark the DMs creative juices.

By contrast, 5e bakes ‘official’ flavor into everything. It requires extreme effort to try *opt out*. There are no tools for DMs to world build. There are no resources with flavorless mechanics, to make it easy for the DM to author the flavor, to craft a new dedicated setting.

Relatedly, 1e requires effort to opt in to official flavor. All the references to polytheism were in a separate splatbook, Deities & Demigods. Any DM who wanted polytheism purchased the book, then figured out which of the options in the book to integrate into the setting. (I own this book, being curious about the less than accurate representation of the Norse spirituality − and curious about about Elric.) But this D&D polytheism requires an *opt in*. It doesnt happen by itself. When I as a DM say no, then the separate splatbook never happens. Then that is it. I never see polytheism again in the rest of rules that I do use. I never have to deal with it. I never have to fight against the unwanted flavor to *opt out*.

By contrast, 5e is the Borg. Everything is hardwired together, from top to bottom, from the fusion of mechanoflavor, from book to chapter to page to paragraph to sentence. Everything is entwined together. Even what were once utterly unrelated settings imagined by different authors are all assimilated into a single, homogeneous, totalitarian supersetting. The polytheism is everywhere, at every level. The uninspiring mundane elf is now the only one-size-fits-all option. It too is nothing but baked in polytheistic flavor. It is impossible to use any rules without the Borg contaminating and assimilating any effort to try use the rules for a different kind of setting.

On the other hand, 5e has reasonable mechanical balance. Which is also important to me. The frustration with wanton imbalance is why I dont use earlier editions of D&D. Also the 5e wizard is excellent, and 5e has the best bard of all editions. So there are aspects of 5e that I strongly value.

But this 5e baked in flavor − it is ruining the game for me. I get it that many players either like the flavor or can live with it. Honestly, I am happy that they have a game that they enjoy. At the same time, other editions of D&D had a design philosophy of opt in, rather than opt out. And even 3e made it easy to opt out, simply by switching to the comprehensive 3e SRD whose presentation of rules lacked flavor. But for 5e, this baked in flavor is killing my joy for D&D.

If WotC is set on baking flavor into D&D for the sake of corporate ‘branding’ of its legal trademarks, I dont even need the name ‘Dungeons & Dragons’. I just need the rules without someone elses setting baked into it. Call these rules some other name. All of D&D mechanics without the flavor. Heh, call this version of the game ‘Meka’. Or call it ‘Modern’. Or maybe call it ‘5e Soon’, soon in the sense of a near future setting, and soon in the sense of requiring the DM to assemble the setting oneself.

I need a way to play the game in a way that brings me joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is... I don't get it.

The longest 5E campaign I ever ran had entirely unique outer planes, no differentiation between demons and devils, pseudo-psionic reptilian orcs, a unique pantheon, multiple distinct cultures...

The campaign I'm about to start playing in is a combination sci-fi/fantasy D&D Earth, where the dragons rule the world and AI "gods" grant divine magic and rule the space stations. I'm playing a tiefling monk from the solar power conglomerate based on Mercury.

It took effort to make up all the new details, because that's what making up new details is. But as far as removing the unwanted details and flavor?

None. Zero. Literally no effort beyond "Hey, guys, we're not using any of the flavor baseline assumptions in the PHB, so if you're not sure about something, ask."

I'm sorry if you're in a funk. (And that's not sarcasm. I have diagnosed depression; I get how bad it can be.) But I think that funk is why you're having such a problem with this, because it really isn't difficult.

Yaarel

He Mage
For example, the 5e SRD mentions gods, deities, pantheons, various outer planes, etcetera, very many times.

But there is other unwanted baked-in flavor as well.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
For example, the 5e SRD mentions gods, deities, pantheons, various outer planes, etcetera, very many times.

But there is other unwanted baked-in flavor as well.
In appendixes you can easily ignore. I don't see these gods ingrained in the racial backgrounds, unlike in the PHB, were Corellon is mentioned in the elves section, and Moradin in the dwarves section.

Remove ads

Remove ads