Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Or maybe you are onto something... maybe none of this is real and we are all just inside Tommy Westphall's head! :)

DING! Perfect example. Hundreds of shows are part of the 'Tommy Westphall Universe". But do any of us CARE that some people say that The Simpsons is "not real" but just in the mind of an autistic kid in Boston? Nope. If someone says to you "You know, 'Cheers' isn't an actual TV show but is really just something Tommy Westphall created in his mind"... and you actually let that bother you? That someone said that and you actually got defensive about it? You need to lighten up.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. You will watch 'Cheers' and suspend disbelief and never think about the possibility that the world of 'Cheers' doesn't exist. The same way that Mike Mearls can say that everything D&D is part of the D&D multiverse. At your own table, it doesn't matter. So why get bent out of shape over it when he says it?

Mercurius

Legend
I'm saying that the "well of ideas" and "multiverse" are exactly the same thing. At a meta level there is no difference. Which means there's absolutely no point in trying to split hairs. And whether someone says "My table is part of the D&D Multiverse." or "My table is not a part of the D&D multiverse" really means absolutely nothing at the hand-on level of actually playing at the table. At the table, neither answer matters.

Which is exactly why I point it out because so many people get so hung on it. At your table, what WotC says about everything in D&D being a part of the "D&D multiverse" means jack squat at your table. So why let yourself get so bent out of shape over it when they say it?

Haha...I’m not at all getting bent out of shape and I think we’re in agreement. In fact, part of what we’re in agreement about is that there’s no need to get bent out of shape!

If the Star Trek Borg was ever a setting, Planescape is it. ‘We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.’
If Planescape was the setting of all D&D everyone would be a jaded part-time mercenary seeing existence through the lens of philosophies such as Nihilism/Objectivism/Solipsism/Agnosticism/etc, and would barely care about the saving the world as they are too interested in their own idea of the truth. "Adventuring" would be a common profession but no one would try to be a big hero unless it had to do with their agenda because of the potential futility of it all. The Gods are nothing more than other players in the game that can be openly defied without any consequences. And every answer to every question about reality will just produce more questions.

That's not how most D&D campaign settings work.

WotC is committed to the non-committal D&D multiverse which is not Planescape. The default assumptions about heroism and saving the world are generally thrown out of the window in Planescape, in the non-committal D&D multiverse though those assumptions still hold.

That's not to say one couldn't try to be a heroic in Planescape or be something else in a more heroic campaign, but they generally aren't the same things.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Haha...I’m not at all getting bent out of shape and I think we’re in agreement. In fact, part of what we’re in agreement about is that there’s no need to get bent out of shape!

Which I'm glad about! But when I read stories about like what happened to Kelly Tran and how so many Star Wars supposed fans were "hung up on it" and made her life a living hell... inspires me to keep pointing out to our D&D community here on EN World that none of us should ever reach that level of "special snowflake" syndrome about anything we do involving the game. :)

Hopefully none of us EVER get that "hung up" on the game that we lose all sense of morality and good behavior.

DING! Perfect example. Hundreds of shows are part of the 'Tommy Westphall Universe". But do any of us CARE that some people say that The Simpsons is "not real" but just in the mind of an autistic kid in Boston? Nope. If someone says to you "You know, 'Cheers' isn't an actual TV show but is really just something Tommy Westphall created in his mind"... and you actually let that bother you? That someone said that and you actually got defensive about it? You need to lighten up.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. You will watch 'Cheers' and suspend disbelief and never think about the possibility that the world of 'Cheers' doesn't exist. The same way that Mike Mearls can say that everything D&D is part of the D&D multiverse. At your own table, it doesn't matter. So why get bent out of shape over it when he says it?

Yes, but the Tommy Westphall Theory supporters don't usually go around telling everyone that if you think Cheers is a real TV show you are absolutely wrong, and that "no one gets to decide whether or not any [TV shows] are connected to each other" and "no amount of denial on your part can make it not true."

Not sure the person who is just waiting for Cheers re-runs is the one who needs to lighten up and not get bent out of shape. :)

Edit to add: I agree that it's nothing to get worked up over, which is why I found those quotes I included above kinda odd and sounding like they should be spoken while pounding a fist on a podium. All I know is I'm gaming tonight, so it's all good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes, but the Tommy Westphall Theory supporters don't usually go around telling everyone that if you think Cheers is a real TV show you are absolutely wrong, and that "no one gets to decide whether or not any [TV shows] are connected to each other" and "no amount of denial on your part can make it not true."

Well, we do... but usually people just respond with "Who the F is 'Tommy Westphall?" ;)

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Well, the concept of a shared multiverse is a necessity for new players, to avoid confusion. Not everyone playing 5e is a veteran that comes all the way from 1e or even from before.

Myself, I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Planescape and Spelljammer when I started to DM. To me, both were one and the same.

So, I understand why they are connecting all worlds. Whether we use or even like such concept is another beast altogether.

Staffan

Legend
Personally i would never Combine Eberron as a DM with planescape. It does not add anything to any of the Settings.
Same goes for Athas, being unreachable (almost) adds to ist flavor, making it an easy trip would be like altering Portals in Sigil so that no Portal key is needed anymore!
The way I see it, it's a matter of perspective.

If I'm running a Planescape campaign, I would have no qualms whatsoever about having a portal between Sigil and Sharn or the Eldeen Reaches or whatever, if that's what served the adventure. You might meet some primes there who talk about places like Fernia or Mabar, but those are probably just aspects of the Elemental plane of Fire and the Gray Wastes.

But if I'm running an Eberron campaign, I care about the distinct Eberron cosmology, and I'll likely not have any portals between Sharn and Sigil, and if someone goes to Fernia they are going to Fernia, not to the Elemental Plane of Fire.

The same goes for Dark Sun, of course, though to a lesser degree because Dark Sun is already involved in the larger Multiverse.

Not only that but while the Outer Planes are mostly cutoff from Athas because of the Grey, the Inner Planes are still connected, Athas is still a place that's reachable to any experienced Planewalker.

The Grey was a late invention. It was mentioned a few times in the Prism Pentad novels as a Realm of the Dead (I think originally in The Obsidian Oracle), but nothing was made there of any ability to block planar travel. Adventures and sourcebooks referred to planar travel and to various fiends and stuff showing up. It wasn't until Defilers & Preservers, one of the last books published for the setting, that they said that the Grey blocks planar travel beyond it, both to the Outer and the Inner planes.

Suspecting that Cerilia is unlikely to be reintroduced as a setting, I reintroduce my suggestion of doing Birthright as the next of the WotC D&D board games, having a “Domain Board” with shifting resources and other control elements along the line of both the classic setting and various conquest games. Meanwhile, the game itself would come with an “Adventure Board” with party-level scenarios played out in Cerilia between characters and monsters (which, as in the classic setting, act to affect the Domain Turn).
This reminds me of something Mike Mearls said which might actually indicate that Birthright would be high on their list of worlds to release for 5e: for a setting to be worthwhile, it has to offer something new beyond having a different map. For Eberron, that's the pulp/noir angle. Dark Sun is easy - psionics and survival. Greyhawk... that's tough. I think he said he eventually came up with the idea that Greyhawk could be the gritty world, which would also include things like slower healing and such - but that's putting the cart before the horse, IMO ("We'll only release settings that do something FR doesn't. I want to release Greyhawk, so I'll make something up to distinguish it.")

Under that scheme, Birthright definitely has a strong identity as the Ruler/Domain world. It is the world where the PCs are in charge because of the literally Divine Right of Kings. That is unlike a world like FR where high-level PCs might semi-retire to become lords somewhere - this is a setting where rulership is the main focus.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And whether someone says "My table is part of the D&D Multiverse." or "My table is not a part of the D&D multiverse" really means absolutely nothing at the hand-on level of actually playing at the table. At the table, neither answer matters.

I understand your overarching point.

However, saying my table is or is not a part of the D&D multiverse does have meaning at the table.

As a minimum, saying it's not part of the multiverse give the players a heads up that this may be a unique setting and to be careful of assumptions.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The D&D 1e spirit of create your own worlds is dead.

1: plenty of people are still creating their own worlds. But it's a lot of work, and some people don't have the time. It's ok!

2: you really should check out the OSR, you seem in a bit of a creative funk and I think it would cheer you up.

I, predictably, recommend Yoon-Suin :)

Remove ads

Remove ads