Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Irda Ranger

First Post
They've been dancing around Planescape and for a while now. As Astral Sea primer would be my guess - from there all other settings are just destinations in the Astral Sea.
To my mind, it would be cool if the Astral Sea replaced the Phlogiston in Spelljammer. So you get a combination Spelljammer/Astral Sea setting.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Stewart compared the unrevealed product to Waterdeep: Dungeon Heist, which doubles as a low-level adventure and an explanation for how to run campaigns in a large urban setting.

I think the Spelljammer idea is an apt one, in that I could see an expansion into the planes, especially through the Astral. MToF has Giff, Githyanki, Tu’narath, and other astral threats, so I could imagine an adventure that casts off from Skullport into the Astral Plane and includes tools on how to build other routes and adventures there — following the Waterdeep model, that could be paired with a second adventure based in the Outer Planes and containing tool sets for higher level plane-hopping campaigning. You could effectively have Spelljammer and Planescape within campaign toolsets on astral/planar adventuring (while opening up the DMs Guild for those properties and/or having an AL season which expands the use of those properties’ materials).

We haven’t seen any codename leaks or release dates & prices. And given two are coming this summer and one is coming in the fall, I expect digital products.

Short introductory adventures that give you the basics of the setting and can hook unfamiliar DMs. And then a brief gazetteer like the Magic Planewalker books. Followed by opening those settings for fan expansion on the Guild.

My own theory is Greyhawk and Eberron because they are the easiest settings, without special rules like the defiler magic from Athas, with easter eggs about Planescape and Spelljammer. Dragonlance is in the way, because Warner would want it to be a new fantasy blockbuster as "Lord of the Rings".

ShadoWWW

Explorer
Mike Mearls said Greyhawk would be the most difficult to release for 5E to be distinct enough comparing to FR. He said Greyhawk would be at the end of the series of settings.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In one of Nathan Stewart's more recent Fireside Chats on twitch/youtube, he stated quite authoritatively to a chat question that Spelljammer was not coming this year (question asked because of all the planar foes in MToF). Which could mean a couple things-- 1) he was outright lying/misleading, or 2) it's not Spelljammer but rather Planescape that is the setting book that is the more likely planar setting book.

The way he and Mike et. al. have been talking all along, they've made it sound like game mechanical additions would not arrive officially until the was a product they could be connected to. So they wouldn't release the mystic until the released an official Dark Sun book, they wouldn't release the Artificer until they released an Eberron book etc. So we can take what we've been seeing in like Mike Maerls' Happy Fun Hour two different ways-- 1) even though he's been making UAs of ways to play spell-like psionics in the mean time until the official psionic products are released, Dark Sun is not one of the soon-to-be feature settings BECAUSE there is not official psionics at this point in time... or 2) the Mystic as a class with its full mechanical suite of psionics won't be released until an official Dark Sun setting tome is completed, but the Fighter/Monk/Wizard UA subclasses are being made specifically because they ARE making Dark Sun one of their first setting "openings" and want players to have something to use with them in the mean time.

Which way it goes is probably dependent on just how large and official-like the new openings are going to be. If they are being released as a full book with the intention that this is it for that particular setting, then my guess would be Dark Sun wouldn't be one of them. Mainly because they aren't far enough along with the Mystic to release it is this was to be the one and only DS book they were going to make. Whereas they could release Greyhawk right now with a one-and-done without needing any major mechanical work requiring playtesting.

Whereas if these "openings" are just digital info and DMsGuild releases for the time being, and there's still big setting books to come in years future... then opening Dark Sun (with the UA psionics to help out) seems more likely.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I agree with the consensus that Spelljammer, Planescape, and Dark Sun are all good guesses based on some things we've seen over the past few months. I'd also say that Dragonlance may be a contender as well because Joe Manganiello seems to have a fair amount of influence with WotC and he is known to love that setting (mysterious meetings with Weiss & Hickman etc).

neogod22

Explorer
I can say, you might be surprised in what's coming out. I'm not going to say anything more, except it's probably not going to be what you're thinking.

lkj

Hero
It's possible that they are just being misleading, but Stewart and Mearls have both made oblique comments that hint at Eberron. For example, he suggested to someone on twitter that he/she wait a bit before developing a homebrew Artificer.

Mind you, Stewart, I think, deliberately tries to mislead. And Mike might just have been talking about an upcoming UA.

AD

Remove ads

Remove ads