• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Has there been any news regarding Mass Combat rules? We’ve heard discussion on progression (or lack thereof) of the Mystic/Psion and Artificer rules that would tie into any Dark Sun or Eberron product, and we’ve seen the bits of astral and planar material coming out in books that could support a Spelljammer or Planescape book. But I’ve thought from Day One that they’re likely to approach Dragonlance as a unique product from the war angle and so tie any release into a finalized Mass Combat system (especially one that includes support for air combat).

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Has anyone else seen this from twitter? Greg Tito retweeted this just a short time ago from an account made in may and this is the only tweet from it.
[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1003669561768599552[/video]
Account was made in May, but first tweet was today, and immediately retweeted by Greg. Definitely seems to be some intent here.

Hell's Belles is interesting...the tweet references a sound across the planes, but the spelling itself indicates women.

EonTrinity

Villager
I wish WOTC would just get over it and create a FRCS guidebook. I get their approach... don't need a million splats to follow-up. But a really good meaty FRCS - the 5e version of the 3e version... I don't think they arre aware of how well that puppy would sell. The Sword coast guide was such a disappointment. Maybe after that sells well, they might consider selling some other CS as well. I like adventures and the adventure paths, but enough is enough! Get to it already!

ET

Jer

Legend
Supporter
A Nerath / Points-of-Light adventure / gazetteer?

Ooh - I forgot about Nerath.

If we want to think out of the box, the summer releases could be "plane shift" style documents for Star Frontiers and Gamma World both done under 5e rules.

Or maybe they don't do a Mystara update but do give us a Hollow World adventure for 5e. And the second summer release set on the Savage Coast of the Red Steel setting.

(Disclaimer - I'm totally not serious, though I would purchase all of that myself.)

Has anyone else seen this from twitter? Greg Tito retweeted this just a short time ago from an account made in may and this is the only tweet from it.
[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1003669561768599552[/video]
Based on the spelling of “belles” I’m guessing a new streaming group, like Sirens of the Realms.

edit

After 30 seconds I thought... $5 says this is a Holly Condrad DMed Planescape game.

gyor

Legend
I wish WOTC would just get over it and create a FRCS guidebook. I get their approach... don't need a million splats to follow-up. But a really good meaty FRCS - the 5e version of the 3e version... I don't think they arre aware of how well that puppy would sell. The Sword coast guide was such a disappointment. Maybe after that sells well, they might consider selling some other CS as well. I like adventures and the adventure paths, but enough is enough! Get to it already!

ET

I agree so much with this.

You can cross Greyhawk out. They've moved so much stuff from GH to the Realms already, I don't see them putting them back.

Such as?
They had some multiplanar threats also affecting the Realms rather than just affecting Greyhawk. But I don’t think they moved anything.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
My guess:

No sourcebook. Perhaps an adventure, containing elements from two beloved former settings, hodge-podged together in a way that no one who is actually a fan of one of those settings could love, plus some other extraneous stuff salted in for 'rule of cool' purposes.

In parallel, an announcement that the two former settings are being opened up for community development via the DMs Guild, along with a flurry of Adept material that relates to the Adepts having been given the heads' up in advance. "Go play in Sigil, and be AL legal!" The Adept material will be of varying quality, with horrible editing, and be focused on Tier 1 and Tier 2 adventuring, with Tier 3 and 4 promised 'any time now'.

There will be some people who will like this, but as an announcement that's 'worth the hype' being generated right now, it'll fall well short.

Just my $0.02US.

--
Pauper

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Without psionics up and running (and thuroly playtested), Dark Sun and Eberron are impossible this year.

Appealing to ‘hardcore’ group of fans ...

It has to be Planescape.

Mordenkainens Tomb is already the Planescape setting.

5e imposes the Forgotten Realms setting, but it is a modified Forgotten Realms. It instead uses Greyhawk races (high elf replaces Forgotten Realms moon elf, and there is no sun elf). It also adds some Nentir Vale races (tiefling and dragonborn − and the distinctive 4e wood elf that lacks Strength thus resembling the flavor of the Forgotten Realms wood elf but using the mechanics of the Forgotten Realms wild elf).

The 5e Forgotten Realms instead uses the Planescape cosmology (great wheel) but adds to it Nentir Vale cosmology (feywild and shadowfell).

The point is, the 5e Planescape setting is already here, including player races and monsters, and lore, now in Mordenkainens Tome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads