• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two new weapons, and a feat.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Hmm.

Weapons:

Tulwar: There's no rule against the crit characteristics of the weapon but realize that this is better than any other crit in the game (without feats, prestige class abilities or magic).

Normal Crit= 20/x2 (about a 2.5% damage increase assuming a 50% chance of hitting)
Better Crits= 19-20/x2 and 20/x3 (about a 5% damage increase)
Best Crits=18-20/x2 and 20/x4 (about a 7.5% damage increase)

The Tulwar would fit into a new category:
Super Crits=19-20/x3 and 20/x5 (about a 10% damage increase)

There's nothing necessarily game breaking about it but it is better than other exotic weapons (for example, the mercurial longsword is 1d8 20/x4 for the cost of an exotic weapon proficiency).

Heavy Warhammer: There's no problem with this rules wise.

The feat: with expertise, the two weapon fighting chain, and BAB 6+ as pre-reqs, this is probably fine although I'm not sure how it would combine with the Tempest prestige class. At 6th level there will be reasons to select other feats (whirlwind attack, great cleave, etc) and at higher levels, a character has other options (improved critical, improved two weapon fighting, etc) and has probably already invested in a magical off-hand weapon.

All told, it won't be significantly better than EWP: Double sword. (It could be used with two bastard swords but the character would forgoe the 1.5x strength bonus on single attacks and is easier to disarm).

MythandLore

First Post
Ragnar Rocker said:
Basically the idea for the tulwar is of a kukri type sword. A curved chopping weapon with the edge on the inside.
A tulwar is Not like a kukri.
The edge is not on the inside.

This is what a Kukri looks like.
rb60-1.jpg

This is what a Tulwar looks like.
bq375-1.jpg

This is a Kukri with a Tulwar Hilt (not a standard weapon.
kukri_t1.jpg

MythandLore

First Post
Falcata
dt-falcata-largesand.jpg

Yataghan
m018500v.jpg

I think the falcata and yataghan could work.

But, this is what I think you should really use, it's a Kora from Nepal (the same place the kukri is from) (Kukri and Kora can be found in India too)
It cuts on the inside like a kukuri and the large end of the blade cuts like an axe.
Talk about an exotic weapon.
t2924l.jpg

These swords are so cool. ;)

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
I worked out a point buy system for waepon ab9ilities. To merit an 19-20 x3 crit as a medium exotic weapon, a tulwar would have to do a d6 damage. (Exotic Weapon Proficiency can either increase damage or crit quality by one over a matrial weapon, your tulwar does both.)

las

First Post
Sinc your talking about weapons heres one I came up with the states for.

Exotic Weapon
Fang
Cost Damage Crit Wheat Type Size
70 gp. 2d4 X2 4 lb. Slashing and Piresing Small

This weapon is a fantsy weapon I saw in a weapons magizine it was neat so I made its states.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
las said:

Exotic Weapon
Fang

This weapon is a fantsy weapon I saw in a weapons magizine it was neat so I made its states.

What's it look like? How is it used?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Happiest_Sadist said:
I worked out a point buy system for waepon ab9ilities. To merit an 19-20 x3 crit as a medium exotic weapon, a tulwar would have to do a d6 damage. (Exotic Weapon Proficiency can either increase damage or crit quality by one over a matrial weapon, your tulwar does both.)

Huh! Someone finally agreed with me!!!

Just to reiterate the same point; this is WAY better than a 2bladed sword. Yours does the same damage and has the same crit range but is smaller and has a better crit range. There needs to be something to balance it out ( price, availibility, maybe you should need two feats to use it properly).

trentonjoe

Explorer
las said:

Exotic Weapon
Fang

I don't see a big problem with this. It's better than the other exotic small weapons but not that much (1d6 vs 2d4). Maybe the price could go up a little just so compensate both the increase in damage and two typres of damage. Maybe 150 gp.

Remove ads