• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two-Weapon Defense

Quasqueton

First Post
Am I correct in thinking that the +1 shield bonus from two-weapon defense is granted only when the character takes the full attack action and uses both weapons in the attacks?

Quasqueton

The feat description only requires you to wield the weapons (not attack with them) so I'd say it's always active. Fighting defensively ups it to +2; if you just make one attack, maybe you're parrying with the other.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I concur with Olgar Shiverstone. By acquiring the feat and wielding either two weapons or a double weapon, you gain +1 bonus to AC whether you make a full attack ... or a standard attack with one of the weapons (alternatively, one end of a double weapon).

Also, you gain +2 bonus to AC if Fighting Defensively (standard or full attack) or Total Defense (a standard action).

Darklone

Jhyrryl said:
Unlike an actual shield, I would rule that the shield bonus from this feat does not apply when flat-footed.
I wouldn't. Assuming the weapons are drawn, the player char should be in a position to use them.

It may not sound logical, but it's the way to go by the rules... and the feat is weak enough as it is.

Quasqueton

First Post
What is/was making me think the way I do/did is the term "wield" used in both the defense and fighting feats [emphasis mine]:

TWO-WEAPON DEFENSE [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Two-Weapon Fighting.
Benefit: When wielding a double weapon or two weapons (not including natural weapons or unarmed strikes), you gain a +1 shield bonus to your AC.
When you are fighting defensively or using the total defense action, this shield bonus increases to +2.
Special: A fighter may select Two-Weapon Defense as one of his fighter bonus feats.

TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING [GENERAL]
You can fight with a weapon in each hand. You can make one extra attack each round with the second weapon.
Prerequisite: Dex 15.
Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hand lessens by 2 and the one for your off hand lessens by 6.
Normal: If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. When fighting in this way you suffer a –6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a –10 penalty to the attack with your off hand. If your off-hand weapon is light the penalties are reduced by 2 each. (An unarmed strike is always considered light.)
Special: A 2nd-level ranger who has chosen the two-weapon combat style is treated as having Two-Weapon Fighting, even if he does not have the prerequisite for it, but only when he is wearing light or no armor.
A fighter may select Two-Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

In the two-weapon fighting description, the word wield is referring to attacking. I assumed the same word used in the same context in two-weapon defense meant the same thing.

Quasqueton

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Quasqueton said:
What is/was making me think the way I do/did is the term "wield" used in both the defense and fighting feats [emphasis mine]:

*snip*

In the two-weapon fighting description, the word wield is referring to attacking. I assumed the same word used in the same context in two-weapon defense meant the same thing.

Quasqueton
That's not how I read them. It seems that for you to make off hand attacks, you must wield teh weapon, sort of like a prerequisite. If that is indeed the case, you get the bonus when it is in your hand.

Rav

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Quasqueton said:

Quasqueton
I believe that the rules use the word wield to mean use or handle rather than to mean just attacking.

Darklone

You can rule it like you want (==> House Rules?) but by the rules, this feat gives a shield bonus while you wield two weapons. Wielding two weapons means to have two weapons ready for combat in your hands (if not, all those English majors out there correct me).

A shield bonus is a bonus to AC that is not lost when flat-footed or vs. ranged attacks. Make it a dodge bonus if you don't like it.

Remove ads