D&D General Tyrannosaurs were pack hunters. Stay away from the Isle of Dread.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

I'm guessing the Isle of Dread -- which is crazy big, once you start counting hexes -- could probably handle one pack of T. Rexes. Still, that would be enough. I imagine their territory would be picked clean pretty quickly, requiring them to move in search of new prey periodically. The human tribes would likely have the migration timeline down to a near-science, as it would make hunting beyond the wall untenable while the pack was in the area.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Last Saturday I took the kid to the dino exhibit at OMSI. the pictures don't do it justice. When you're standing next to a life sized T REX, it becomes clear we'd be an easy snack. CR8 seems low when you're face to face with how big they are lol

1618860345380.png

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I was watching a wake of turkey vultures claiming some roadkill. Biggish bird, but social. They stripped that carcass almost bare in less than 10 minutes. I imagine T-Rex would look similar festooned with plumage sharing a kill. Now imagine a family of Zombie Tyrannosaurs belching out zombies of random sizes.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I was watching a wake of turkey vultures claiming some roadkill. Biggish bird, but social. They stripped that carcass almost bare in less than 10 minutes. I imagine T-Rex would look similar festooned with plumage sharing a kill. Now imagine a family of Zombie Tyrannosaurs belching out zombies of random sizes.
apparently, Trex is likely largely fatherless for much the same reason as elephants are, polar Trex are technically a possibility if you want to really doom your players so if you like either look you got options.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8

Welp, now I'm totally in the mood for quick "Return to the Isle of Dread" sidequest, wherein the party sails to an island they visited long ago, only to find it utterly barren, picked completely clean by a flock of ravening TRexes.

Zardnaar

Legend
The amount of area dinos in general would need is often quite underestimated. The islands on Jurassic Park probably could not sustain anything near the number of animals they had.

Which is why my version of The Isle of Dread is closer to the size of Australia. :)

You might be surprised it's plausible.

Wrangle Island supported a remnant population of Mammoth until the Egyptians built the pyramids.

The South Island of New Zealand supported the Haast Eagle and Moa which could reach 3 metres. Both died out within 100 years of Humans arriving.

Isle of Dread is quite large as well. My province is the size of Belgium and I think the Isle is about as big as that and Canterbury (NZ) put togather.

That's big enough to have 3000 metre high mountains and in the good old days supported native bush etc.

Davies

Legend
And this is all part of the reason that I prefer to treat 'dinosaurs' in fantasy as though they were just monsters that look like earlier conceptions of dinosaurs, rather than embracing everything that modern paleontology says about them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases