D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Getting Republished in Combined Anniversary Volume

So, WotC is re-releasing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat in a combined volume, with a special cover, re-edited based on feedback, on October 22nd. From ComicBook.com -- "The new Tyranny of Dragons volume will update the adventures by incorporating feedback to smooth out the curve for new players, while adding resources previously only available online and adding...

So, WotC is re-releasing Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat in a combined volume, with a special cover, re-edited based on feedback, on October 22nd.

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 23.12.50.png

From ComicBook.com -- "The new Tyranny of Dragons volume will update the adventures by incorporating feedback to smooth out the curve for new players, while adding resources previously only available online and adding never-before-seen concept art. In addition, Tyranny of Dragons will have a new cover designed by Hydro74, depicting Tiamat in all of her five-headed glory."

The adventures are known as being very tough - it sounds like the challenge is being lowered a little.

dave2008

Legend
I'm expecting them to make levels 14 (I doubt 15TH) after all that.
But with her Regen 30hp, immunity to level 6 and lower spells, multiple reactions and Legendary Actions she seems pretty tough on paper.

My comment was with regard to @gyor wanting them to beef up Tiamat for the re-released compiled adventure. It is more likley that when the release her stats again, they will be nerfed liked they did with the demon lords from OotA to MToF. However, we don't know yet as the product has not been released yet.

That being said: Tiamat is the most powerful creature yet stated for 5e. She is significantly more difficult than the CR 30 Tarrasque. However, in RoT...[sblock] there are several methods to weaken her so that she can be defeated by a group of PCs[/block]

Okay I never read the whole entry, I stopped at the first line of stats: AC33

Maximum Proficiency modifier +6
Maximum Strength modifier +5
Magical Weapon bonus +3 (assuming this is allowed in the campaign)
Bless +1d4 bonus
= +15 to + 18 which means you need a 15-18 on the die roll to hit!!!

This probably excludes a potion of a certain giant strength or other magical items, a few choice spells and maybe archery combat style as I was only looking at melee.

I dunno man, she looks like TPK material :)

Yes, that stat block is meant to be fought by gods, not mortals. It should be a TPK for a party of level 20 PCs.

dave2008

Legend
He's written her up as a greater deity which, in forgotten realms she is not (she's never been anything more than a lesser deity). Secondly, his tiamat is at full power - the one in the campaign is right just after being summoned so she probably wouldn't be at full strength and can be further crippled when certain conditions are met. Finally his tiamat is meant for epic level campaigns - check her CR - no adventurer sub level 20 can ever hope to best that.

All true, except I believe Tiamat could have been considered a greater god in 4e. At least there was no official distinction between greater and lesser gods in that edition.

dave2008

Legend
Okay I never read the whole entry, I stopped at the first line of stats: AC33

Maximum Proficiency modifier +6
Maximum Strength modifier +5
Magical Weapon bonus +3 (assuming this is allowed in the campaign)
Bless +1d4 bonus
= +15 to + 18 which means you need a 15-18 on the die roll to hit!!!

This probably excludes a potion of a certain giant strength or other magical items, a few choice spells and maybe archery combat style as I was only looking at melee.

That is a good point, I think her AC might be to low!

dalisprime

Explorer
All true, except I believe Tiamat could have been considered a greater god in 4e. At least there was no official distinction between greater and lesser gods in that edition.

FR wiki lists her as a lesser deity in 4E. 5th edition however appears to have done away with divine rankings altogether. None of the existing tables list their power. SCAG descriptions state which deity serves which but nothing beyond that.

dave2008

Legend
FR wiki lists her as a lesser deity in 4E. 5th edition however appears to have done away with divine rankings altogether. None of the existing tables list their power. SCAG descriptions state which deity serves which but nothing beyond that.

The wiki is not accurate though. There was no official ranking by WotC in 4e.

However, 5e has brought back rankings (it is in the PHB or DMG I believe). Lesser gods have physical bodies, but greater gods don't though the could manifest avatars with the traits of a lesser god. In the MM Tiamat (pg 86) and Bahamut (pg 103) are described as lesser gods and Asmodeus as the only devil with the power of a lesser god (pg 67).

EDIT: Found it! Divine Rank is defined on page 11 of the DMG (sidebar)

Last edited by a moderator:

dalisprime

Explorer
The wiki is not accurate though. There was no official ranking by WotC in 4e.

However, 5e has brought back rankings (it is in the PHB or DMG I believe). Lesser gods have physical bodies, but greater gods don't though the could manifest avatars with the traits of a lesser god. In the MM Tiamat (pg 86) and Bahamut (pg 103) are described as lesser gods and Asmodeus as the only devil with the power of a lesser god (pg 67).

EDIT: Found it! Divine Rank is defined on page 11 of the DMG (sidebar)

Fair enough, however notice how - outside that sidebar and the throwaway comment in the MM about the trhee there's practically no into about current divine ranks. We know Lurue (who was previously a demigod), Sekolah, Lolth, Bahamut and Asmodeus are lesser deities but nobody else is defined and the pantheon in FR is huge - especially when you consider that all the deities previously thought as dead are back in one form or another (this I learned from Ed Greenwood). Then there's also the fact that they don't distinguish between lesser and intermediate deities which formed a major part of divine politics in previous editions.

dave2008

Legend
Fair enough, however notice how - outside that sidebar and the throwaway comment in the MM about the trhee there's practically no into about current divine ranks. We know Lurue (who was previously a demigod), Sekolah, Lolth, Bahamut and Asmodeus are lesser deities but nobody else is defined and the pantheon in FR is huge - especially when you consider that all the deities previously thought as dead are back in one form or another (this I learned from Ed Greenwood). Then there's also the fact that they don't distinguish between lesser and intermediate deities which formed a major part of divine politics in previous editions.

Agreed. I was just pointing out that they are back, if poorly ascribed/

Would agree. I liked much of SKT, but the final boss to me is a let down compared to the rest.

On the whole I liked the Tyranny of Dragons adventure path. I think the second half was better than the first. It’d be good if they made Hoard of the Dragon Queen less of a railroad, but that’s probably too much of an overhaul.

One thing I hope they fix is the twin black dragons in the Mere of Dead Men. I’m pretty sure the first module says they’ll make an appearance in the second module, but they never do

Oh, and that new cover. Absolutely fantastic. I much prefer the more stylized Hydro74 alt covers.

Personally I think it's better than Storm King's Thunder.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
I heard via Twitter that only the first chapter is being revised, and the rest of the adventure will remain as is, with a few editing/spelling fixes.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads