D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons is Coming! - the next storyline

Klaus

First Post
Well, after reading through all the press releases I'm intrigue, I'd love it if it were as epic as dragonlance, and I don't remember a dragon eccentric storyline in years (I might be mistaken here), I'm guessing that they decided that on the 40th anniversary on Dungeons & Dragons they should have an adventure filled with dragons.

Warder

War of the Dragon Queen (4e) and Red Hand of Doom (3e) are the more recent, multi-part draconic adventures.

am181d

Adventurer
It'll be interesting to see how they roll this out. I was saying on an earlier thread that Wizards might be best served with doing a self-contained mega-adventure in lieu of a traditional Red Box.

I'd love to see a standalone "Tyranny of Dragons" boxed set available in the Walmart games aisle, with the core D&D Next rules and info on where to go if players want more D&D.

(I realize I am largely alone in this.)

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Tyranny of Dragons sounds like an exciting new adventure hitting the D&D multi-plateforms!

Tiamat, The Cult of the Dragon, the Sword Coast North etc...looks like dragons are about to rock on!

Looking forward to it and eager to hear more about this for sure...

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Also, art for the temple of Tiamat is nice!

TyrannyTemple.jpg

Tovec

Explorer
Imo too much of a copy of Barad-dûr. The way it looks it could come directly from the LotR move storyboard.

My personal dig with it is that it seems overly stylish and not functional. Say what you will but in the recent movies Bara-dur was amass with towers and looked very fortified - if a little overlarge.

I get that it is supposed to be some big bad piece of real estate but where is it? Is that Tiamat's home in the hells or is that on Faerun. If it is Faerun are you telling me no high level wizard came by to blow it up with meteor swarm?

Mostly my dig is with the style of the image itself, it just doesn't work for me.

And KM, I think that is a 3e reprint of Tiamat. I feel like I've seen it before but I can't place where - but it looks older to me, not like something new they made with a 3e look.

As far as the content of the article goes? I don't care about forgotten realms, so the entire event is moot with me. I'm just here talking about the art :p

Serendipity

Explorer
Sooooo....Scales of War/Dragonlance mashup, now set in the Realms? Uh...'kay. Not sure what else there is to say, my brain having been beaten numb by all the marketing speak in the USA today article.

Remove ads