D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons is Coming! - the next storyline

Evenglare

Adventurer
Is it an adventure for 3e, or 4e or 5e? Is it a board game? Is it a video game? A novel/series? What is it? I can't make heads or tails of it.

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Mostly my dig is with the style of the image itself, it just doesn't work for me.

I also don't really see any reference to Tiamat. Okay, the cult of the dragon is the major player here and not dragons themselves but still I expected an architecture which is more accommodating to dragons instead of an all human tower.

This temple just looks like a generic evil over the top fortress.

Last edited:

Sigh.
At GenCon 2012 they promised an end to Realms shaking events after the Sundering. Now, with only 2/3rds of the Sundering products out, they're announcing the next Realms shaking event.
Stay classy WotC.

Are there any Forgotten Realms scholars here?
Can anyone say if the dragon empire that vanished 25,000 years ago is an established part of Realmslore, or is that something they're tacking on to help force Tiamat into the Realms? How about the prophecy angle and the cult of the dragon?

Really, with the reference to in store play, this just sounds like the announcement of the next big season of Encounters with some multimedia stuff tacked on. There's no reference to home play, which likely accounts for something like 85.76% of play.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sigh.
At GenCon 2012 they promised an end to Realms shaking events after the Sundering. Now, with only 2/3rds of the Sundering products out, they're announcing the next Realms shaking event.
Stay classy WotC.

How is this "Realms shaking"? Seems like a normal campaign thread to me. No nations being destroyed, magic being re-ordered, or any of that nonsense.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, after reading through all the press releases I'm intrigue, I'd love it if it were as epic as dragonlance, and I don't remember a dragon eccentric storyline in years (I might be mistaken here), I'm guessing that they decided that on the 40th anniversary on Dungeons & Dragons they should have an adventure filled with dragons.
Red Hand of Doom is the most recent one I can think of, and it was well-received.

If I literally hadn't just finished a seven-year home campaign based around Tiamat, I would be very pumped for this. That said, if this means we're getting iOS D&D games centered around dragon-slaying, I'll be thrilled. (Of course, I'd be happy with a Dungeon! or Wrath of Ashardalon iOS adaptation, too; I'm easy.)

How is this "Realms shaking"? Seems like a normal campaign thread to me. No nations being destroyed, magic being re-ordered, or any of that nonsense.
It's not the equal of the Time of Troubles or Spellplague but it is yet another event in the Realms when they promised to back off and let people tell their own stories.
The Cult of Dragons being changed to focus on living dragons, dragons attacking the Sword Coast, and Tiamat being added into the Realms as a major player. It sounds like a story with more long lasting consequences than the Horde invasion or the Web of the Spider Queen.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Also, I note that this Tiamat has the 3e-style dragon heads. I dunno if the art is a reprint or not, but I'm not too sad to see 4e's green dragon nose-horn go the way of the dodo. ;)

I don't think it's a reprint (though yes, initially I thought it was a merging of some previous 3e pieces together), but some of the heads are quite similar to Todd Lockwood's awesome dragon head collage from 3e's Draconomicon. I don't think that he did the artwork shown in USA Today however. I could be wrong, but the coloring and linework doesn't strike me as his.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases