D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons re-released without fanfare?

For those of you still on DDB, Tyranny of Dragons is up ... and it looks like if you already owned Hoard and Rise, you get the combined Tyranny for free. I did not purchase Tyranny but I can access the whole thing, including the concept art ... speaking of which, this section is a lot chunkier than the corresponding sections in other books has been. Lots of cool concept art for the various dragon cultist robes and regalia. Even some of the minor characters like Remi Haventree get art in there. Also some cool comic book-looking pieces showing dragons and cultists attacking various places like Luskan and Neverwinter.

The cover art is interesting. It appears to depict Tiamat turning people into gold statues via a magic orb she is clutching in her claws -- not something that actually happens in the adventure, but it's a very cool visual!

4k-tod-cover-art.jpg
Is there more concept art of Tiamat herself? I remember that being hinted at

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For those of you still on DDB, Tyranny of Dragons is up ... and it looks like if you already owned Hoard and Rise, you get the combined Tyranny for free. I did not purchase Tyranny but I can access the whole thing, including the concept art ... speaking of which, this section is a lot chunkier than the corresponding sections in other books has been. Lots of cool concept art for the various dragon cultist robes and regalia. Even some of the minor characters like Remi Haventree get art in there. Also some cool comic book-looking pieces showing dragons and cultists attacking various places like Luskan and Neverwinter.

The cover art is interesting. It appears to depict Tiamat turning people into gold statues via a magic orb she is clutching in her claws -- not something that actually happens in the adventure, but it's a very cool visual!

4k-tod-cover-art.jpg
Yup,this is what was in the Special Edition reprint a couple years back (except the new cover). IIRC, they were thinking in terms of tighter integration between Adventure campaigns and stuff like video games or novel tie insatiable the time.

pukunui

Legend
No worries!

Looking at that cover art some more, now I'm wishing the adventure did involve Tiamat using some giant magical orb to turn the PCs' coalition forces into gold statues as they attempt to assault her temple.

EDIT: Also, here's the disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE CULT OF THE DRAGON OR ITS ADHERENTS, AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, LICENSORS, OR THRALLS (ENCHANTED OR OTHERWISE) BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR CATACLYSMIC DAMAGES TO THE MATERIAL PLANE OR ITS FEATURES, DENIZENS, GEOGRAPHIES, SPHERES, OR NATURAL LAWS, ARISING FROM THE ACTS, INCARNATIONS, SERVANTS, AND RUINOUS WHIMS OF TIAMAT, QUEEN OF DRAGONS. THOSE SEEKING TO AVOID ABJECT DRACONIC ANNIHILATION SHOULD RELOCATE TO THE NEAREST CONVENIENT AFTERLIFE OR JUST TRY AND STOP US.

(sorry, it's in all caps on DDB)

pukunui

Legend
By the power of Dungeon Mastering...make it so!
If I ever get the chance to run this campaign again (and I certainly would like to), I just might do that!

What does the cover description say?
"In her conquests across worlds, Tiamat, the Queen of Evil Dragons, amasses a hoard of gold and broken soldiers, as depicted on this cover by Antonio José Manzanedo."

I suppose the idea is that she turns wayward adventurers into gold and then sticks them in her hoard. It looks to me more like she's just used the orb to "flash freeze" an invading army into gold statues. The ones in the lower left corner look like they're still in the process of changing. I suppose it could go either way, but I like my interpretation better. ;)

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter

4k-tod-cover-art.jpg

Aside from the cover art, this stuff has all been there since 2019.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If I ever get the chance to run this campaign again (and I certainly would like to), I just might do that!

"In her conquests across worlds, Tiamat, the Queen of Evil Dragons, amasses a hoard of gold and broken soldiers, as depicted on this cover by Antonio José Manzanedo."

I suppose the idea is that she turns wayward adventurers into gold and then sticks them in her hoard. It looks to me more like she's just used the orb to "flash freeze" an invading army into gold statues. The ones in the lower left corner look like they're still in the process of changing. I suppose it could go either way, but I like my interpretation better. ;)
Rad.

Remove ads