D&D (2024) UA Groups: Expert, Mage, Priest, Warrior

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The term "priest" is problematic, because it ethnocentrically specifies theism in the context of a temple or church. For example, there is a reason why the sages of Jewish "rabbi" and Muslim "imam" avoid term priest. Likewise a nontheistic animistic "shaman" avoids the term priest, as does a Buddhist "monk".

A more multicultural term is "clergy", which is any official religious function, including priest, teacher, psychic, sibling/monk/nun, and so on.
I doubt there are nearly enough people with that specific objection to make a difference to WotC.

Horwath

Legend
Experts: Bard*&, Ranger**, Rogue^&, (Artificer&^)
Warriors: Barbarian, Fighter^, Monk
Mages: Sorcerer%, Wizard, Warlock
Priests: Cleric, Druid, Paladin**

*Will count as Mage as well
**Will count as Warrior as well
&Will have subclasses that counts as Warrior
^Will have subclasses that count as Mage
%Will have subclasses that count as Priest
Barbarian could have a subclass that is an expert: Totem barbarian with extra skills at 6th level and maybe sooner. Expertise at 10th level.

Tutara

Adventurer
I am not a massive fan of ‘priest’ - for me, it’s like calling them rabbis or vicars, because the word is the word for an ordained member in a specific real world religion. I’d prefer a term that relates to faith or devotion that doesn’t invoke either Father Ted or a need to be part of an organised religion. Trouble is, I can’t think of anything I like - devotee? Bit naff. Zealot? Utterly perjorative. Hmmm.

Aldarc

Legend
I am not a massive fan of ‘priest’ - for me, it’s like calling them rabbis or vicars, because the word is the word for an ordained member in a specific real world religion. I’d prefer a term that relates to faith or devotion that doesn’t invoke either Father Ted or a need to be part of an organised religion. Trouble is, I can’t think of anything I like - devotee? Bit naff. Zealot? Utterly perjorative. Hmmm.
Mystic - see Starfinder

Aldarc

Legend
Mystics are specifically religious people who seek spiritual truth outside of organized religion, though.
Actually, no. The meaning of "mystic" is not that narrow. It does deal with divine experiences, which may or may not be outside of organized religion. The Oracle of Delphi, for example, was a female mystic who was a part of the organized religious and cultic practices of the ancient Hellenes.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Actually, no. The meaning of "mystic" is not that narrow. It does deal with divine experiences, which may or may not be outside of organized religion. The Oracle of Delphi, for example, was a female mystic who was a part of the organized religious and cultic practices of the ancient Hellenes.
Ah, thank you. I did not know that.

I guess we still don't have a defined term, though. It's tricky to come up with something culture-neutral because religious practitioners are such a huge part of culture, and differ a lot from culture to culture.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases