D&D 5E UA Revised Ranger - Melee

Mandalore108

First Post
I'm going to be creating a variant human Beast Conclave Ranger for an existing campaign. He'll be starting at lvl.11 and using a wolf companion but I'm having trouble deciding on his combat style. I was thinking of the following:

1. TWF style with the dual wielder feat. He'd be using two rapiers. I'd also keep a hand crossbow/thrown weapons for some spell attacks.

2. Defense style with polearm master and sentinel feats. He'd be using the glaive or halberd with hand axes for certain spells.

I know #2 is more MAD but #1 could also lead to more instances of me breaking down and using ranged attacks.

I could use some advice on which fighting style would be the best or just most fun for a Beast Conclave melee ranger.

Any suggestions besides my two would also be welcome.

Xeviat

Hero
1. TWF style with the dual wielder feat. He'd be using two rapiers. I'd also keep a hand crossbow/thrown weapons for some spell attacks.

2. Defense style with polearm master and sentinel feats. He'd be using the glaive or halberd with hand axes for certain spells.

I wouldn't go for the Dual Wielder feat myself; I don't believe it gives enough. Both of your options here use up your bonus action, which is at a premium because of many ranger spells.

So, rather than tackling the question mechanically, how about I pose a question to you? What do you consider your character more to be: a ferocious warrior who gets into the thick of it with their wolf companion, or a more reserved tactician who stays back and has their wolf get up close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandalore108

First Post
I wouldn't go for the Dual Wielder feat myself; I don't believe it gives enough. Both of your options here use up your bonus action, which is at a premium because of many ranger spells.

So, rather than tackling the question mechanically, how about I pose a question to you? What do you consider your character more to be: a ferocious warrior who gets into the thick of it with their wolf companion, or a more reserved tactician who stays back and has their wolf get up close?

I definitely want him to be the former; a ferocious warrior who battles next to his companion.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Go TWF but don't do two rapiers, it looks dumb. Especially next to a wolf. :) Go for rapier + whip instead.

That would still work great with sentinel. For other feats don't overlook Defensive Duelist, I think it is decent for a melee ranger once you have Dex 20.

Give your wolf proficiency in athletics, and teach it to grapple :)

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I'd do multiclass barbarian (or fighter or paladin or bladelock) 5 / ranger 6. If you want to be in melee, you want multiattack... if you want to be efficient.

And for Pete's sake, no double finest weapons. Double longswords.

Xeviat

Hero
Going Str might be SLIGHTLY more MAD than going Dex, but if you go Str all you need is Dex 14. Medium Armor (half-plate) and Dex 14 gets you the same AC as Leather Armor and Dex 20 (though you do have disadvantage on stealth, which is unfortunate). With 27 point buy and Variant Human, you can start with Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

Str based rangers are kind of why I don't like all the stealth stuff baked into the class.

On a side note, I'm very tempted to rebalance the medium armors.

Xeviat

Hero
Thanks for the insight guys.

I take it the whole polearm/sentinel thing isn't that viable for a ranger?

There's nothing about the ranger that makes it not viable. With a wolf pulling someone prone and a spear keeping people in their place, you could work as a good hindrance and a protector of your group.

Harrumphreys

First Post
Thanks for the insight guys.

I take it the whole polearm/sentinel thing isn't that viable for a ranger?

I don't know about that. I play a STR Ranger ('Stranger', hah) regularly, and I enjoy a significant board presence with Polearm Master. The additional 1d4 attack plus the counter attacks rack up the damage with Hunter's Mark adding 1d6 a pop. Granted, my Ranger is part of the Primeval Guardian conclave and so sports a 15' threat range with Tunnel Fighter also.

Remove ads