D&D 5E UA Spell Versatility: A deeper dive

Chaosmancer

Legend
So here is a bunch of spells I could see someone wanting to "swap into" for the Sorcerer.

The categories I got where:
a) NINJA - you know you have to be sneaky tomorrow, and you usually aren't.
b) UTILITY - there is some operation that would be nearly impossible without this spell.
c) ENEMY - you are gonna fight a vampire! Pull out the sun. Or invisible foes, or plants, or similar.

I did this in one pass, so probably some questionable ones or ones I've missed.

So, most of that list doesn't fall where I expected.

Teleportation circle was a great because it was a specific usage, and a usage that almost never is harmed by waiting day, because the entire point is to shorten travel by multiple days.

But things like Dominate Monster, Sunbeam or Blight are just generally useful spells.

Out of your entire list I'd see Comprehend Language (for writing), water breathing and water walk, plane shift and Creation. Those are the ones I could see a wizard not taking if the sorcerer could have it wirgin 24 hours.

Ashrym

Legend
What I'm saying is that there is another important element, which is the ability to gain access to a particular spell you don't currently have access to the next day.

Sorcerers aren't going to be changing spells daily. That's part of the inherent flaw in the arguments against spell versatility. They'll only be changing a particular spell maybe if an incentive to do so comes up. This is still arguing the exception instead of the expectation.

I'm not seeing what you are expressing in the games we're testing this in.

Or to go beyond that, let me briefly point out the three levels of spell access:

1) Immediate Spell Access: This is almost purely based on the number of spells you can have currently prepared. Spell Versatility does basically nothing to increase the sorcerer's flexibility compared to wizard in this area, as you rightly point out.

2) Tomorrow Spell Access: Standard 5e gives the wizard flexibility in this based on their personal spellbook. Sorcerer gets nothing here. Spell Versatility changes this dynamic drastically by giving the sorcerer their entire spell list (substantially bigger than a wizard's personal spellbook) to choose from.

3) Extended Time Spell Access: Standard 5e gives wizards the same flexibility in this as in Tomorrow Spell Access, with the additional highly campaign dependent ability (which I believe DMs should make reasonably available as a part of wizard identity, but can not be assumed in 5e) to also add new spells to their spellbook. Sorcerers have nothing here. Spell Versatility skyrockets the sorcerer's ability here, allowing them to acquire and cast any spell on the sorcerer list, as well as completely rewrite their personal spells known.

It is completely true that the wizard has a bigger and pretty much objectively better class spell list than the sorcerer. I do not think that invalidates the concerns, since the wizard's limited access to that spell list is of bigger importance when comparing them.

The UA changes are addressing one of the important levels of spell access that you did not list. Swapping spells out on leveling up. That was a concern and the expectation was that classes that use the spells known mechanic were to be swapping out spells more frequently than some campaigns were allowing.

5e's entire spells known mechanic has always assumed that these classes would be swapping out spells that were less useful to the campaign as it progressed. This always included access to the entire spell list.

I think the actual spell lists themselves give a lot more identity to the classes than how those spells are accessed. Such as the wizard's bigger and better list with many exclusive spells.

Spell Versatility makes the sorcerer better at 3 than the wizard. This is an identity challenge.

Whether Spell Versatility makes the sorcerer better at 2 than the wizard, depends on assumptions.

Item 1 is clearly intact and I think that one is the most defining of the 3 points. Listing 3 points does not give them equal value in the identity of these classes.

For item 2 to be advantageous to the sorcerer requires strong assumptions such as specific need not already covered, specific spells to the situation, ample time to make uses of the single spell swap, not needing the spells swap, and the advantage being limited to only a single spell. It's less of an assumption that it's more advantageous to simply swap out to the dungeon list, town list, or wilderness list in that same rest for any spell prep class.

Item 3 is misleading. If a person picks any point in time they are still limited by item 1 above and the actual spells on the sorcerer (or any other spells known caster) list. The ability is the same regardless of which class uses spells known so it's either a true statement for all spells known classes or it's not a true statement for sorcerers because it's not specifically the ability to swap spells that's creating the concern here. Rangers who share wizard spells that might come in handy and not be in the wizard spell book is the example I was using.

Spell preparation is not a wizard thing. It's one of a choice of two broad mechanics wizards happen to use.

Those spells on the sorcerer list are there because they are meant to be options for the sorcerer to use. There is currently no practical use in having placed those spells on that spell list because the limited spells known prevents sorcerers from using spells meant for sorcerers to use. Sorcerers are meant to be an alternative choice to wizards and in doing so there is some overlap, including the expectation that a sorcerer might teleport the party, open a planar gateway, or scry on enemies.

That 3rd point isn't infringing on the wizard identity. It's enabling the sorcerer to do things sorcerers were meant to do and improving the sorcerer identity.

However, where I'm going with Tomorrow Spell Access is more about benefiting from a specific spell (often outside of combat). If that is never a consideration in your campaign, then this may not matter. But if this is ever a consideration in a campaign (and it definitely is in mine) this is a huge thing, because it is a vital part of a wizard's identity that is being taken away.

See above. The limited spells know makes those spells that sorcerers have and are meant to be used by sorcerers available instead of a superfluous addition to a list that pragmatically cannot be taken.

You want to resolve that by adding to the spells known list. I think giving sorcerers more spells known impacts the wizard identity more than a sorcerer doing arcane things during downtime because adding to spells known impacts your point 1 above. Point 1 is the game play standard.

Changing out the entire list (which is pointless) during downtime still has zero impact on your first point in gameplay. Adding spells like your previous suggestion has more impact relative to wizards than spell versatility does.

Highlighted Point: When nobody has the spell prepared/known and we need it, all eyes should turn towards the wizard. They should always be the one best able to meet the need for Tomorrow Spell Access and Extended Time Spell Access. That is a huge part of what being a wizard is about. With Spell Versatility, all eyes turn towards the sorcerer, because they are better able to meet either of those needs, and the wizard only retains that ability with regards to Immediate Spell Access.

All eyes should turn to the character filling the same role of the wizard in the arcane caster the party has. All eyes are never going to turn to the sorcerer unless we make forced assumptions that a single spell is required and only the sorcerer list has it and the wizard wouldn't have added it to the spell book already.

Those assumptions are too strong, making the highlighted point hyperbole.

I think it is likely that some players just don't care that much about preserving class identity, which is why this isn't a big deal to them.

Or those players have a different opinion on what is creating the class identity for both classes that simply does not match your own.

Accusing player of not caring simply because they have a different opinion is incorrect and insulting, and does not directly respond to any points made. Your posts are usually much better than that. :(

Everything you are saying about rangers is true, but it misses a few points of relevance, which is why people aren't criticizing it as heavily.

The points are true and I used them because the specific objection was that spell versatility stepped on wizard's toes.

The real concern seems to be that people are concerned sorcerers will become the arcane caster of choice over wizards because of spell versatility, which is actually a different statement than what was being argued. ;)

The first is that rangers are weaker than paladins in a way they should be (based on tradition) essentially equal. A ranger's spellcasting is inferior to a paladin's, and they get no other benefit to make up for that. The paladin is just a stronger class. Rangers could be given complete access to their class list as prepared casters--identically to paladins--and it would neither overpower them nor challenge class identity. In fact, it would preserve class identity better than the standard rules do! Rangers already should function that way. So inasmuch as the ranger buffs just make them function more like that, they are good for class identity. I'm not sure I'm happy about how they did it (free casting rather than extra spells prepared--though if they don't become prepared casters, they could actually use some extra oomph of free spell casting to make up for the imbalance with paladins) and that's something I'll bring up in the survey.

I highlighted the point I was making with the sorcerer spell list and spell versatility during downtime activities.

Like I said, sorcerers have spells they are meant to use and never take. Even if those only become relevant during downtime activity they have become relevant and enhance the sorcerer's identity as an arcane caster.

The fact that ranger spell casting is considered weaker than paladin spell casting actually mirrors a common complaint on these forums regarding sorcerers and wizards so I fail to see how that justification would not also apply if we're going there.

Side note: rangers were given skill benefits compared to paladins, much like bards were given skill benefits compared to clerics. The skill benefits just didn't pan out well enough for a lot of people. ;)

The second is the traditional divide between divine and arcane casters, whereas divine casters traditionally have access to their entire class spell list, and arcane casters don't. This makes divine casters very flexible, and useful to the party overall. However, arcane spells generally include things that seem more impactful and less party support on a more regular basis. They have spells that are both more immediately flashy, as well as spells that grant the ability to directly address problems that divine spells generally don't, or to address them in different ways. Illusions, general utility, general use boom-boom. Divine spell lists are highly themed. (In 3e, this actually got quite a bit distorted so that their spell lists stretched quite a bit beyond their traditional core competencies, but wizards had a much easier time accessing just about any spells they wanted to scribe into their spellbooks, and the assumption was that you were allowed to do that (a DM would have to be really heavy-handed or doing something pretty unique to not let you do that).)

Which really means the premise that "spell versatility steps on wizard's toes" really only applies when you decide it applies. So far you are applying it sorcerers and not rangers, and then rationalizing why you are making that distinction even though you already acknowledged it's the same argument. ;)

That's why I asserted the argument is not actually about the mechanic. This is an argument about sorcerers vs wizards because the same mechanic only seems to be an issue (for some people) regarding that class.

Bards, while arcane casters, sort of fall somewhere in between. That's why, even though I'll give feedback against Spell Versatility on the bard (does the 5e bard need any boosts?) I don't feel like it's a major challenge to the identity of wizards or other classes.

The 5e bard needs the option to change spells more frequently than some tables were allowing. Doing something closer to what's intended isn't actually a boost. It's a course correction. It's the same course correction being given to sorcerers, warlocks, and rangers.

Bards are to clerics what rangers are to paladins. Less armor, similar role, some spells are better in areas closer to druids or wizards, skill benefits. The actual term "arcane" is largely nothing more than a flavor term in 5e mechanics. That gets back to applying the same standards to the arguments between various classes. ;)

This isn't about buffing classes. Spell versatility was about addressing a concern regarding the frequency of the current implementation. The current implementation is the ability to swap a single spell regardless of level, and that level exchange is still only something available on leveling up.

I don't like warlocks getting Spell Versatility either. However, their spell list is a lot smaller than sorcerers, which makes this feature "less" objectionable on them. (They also can't apply it to spells above 5th level.)

Swapping out higher level spells is limited to high levels when it becomes even less likely that a solution is required in the sorcerer spell list and no other that has not already become available, the sorcerer list becomes small in comparison to lower level spell levels, and wish just covers everything anyway if we're getting to that level.

It's far easier for a wizard to unprep a 1st level spell to cover a need out of every spell in the book than it is a sorcerer to swap out a single spell of the same level. Assuming only one spell is relevant per the sorcerer scenario. At 13th or 15th or 17th levels the wizard is vastly superior at restructuring the spells available to the situation if the need arises.

It's not like sorcerer can swap a low level spell for a high level spell, or more. A sorcerer gives up a high level spell for a high level spell.

Sorcerer identity is the closest to the wizard, and therefore it is the best comparison. Also, the size of their class spell list is the second biggest in the game and almost entirely taken from the wizard spell list. They are the class for which Spell Versatility most strongly challenges the class identity of the wizard.

Yes, because they are meant to do a lot of the same things. The issue I have is that the sorcerer is meant to do things wizards do and cannot because they cannot afford to learn those spells. Increasing spells known for a sorcerer infringes on the wizard advantage of having more spells at any given time during actual game play while spell versatility allowing the use of spells meant to be used by sorcerers during downtime does not.

Sorcerers are supposed to be an alternative class to playing a wizard. That means certain things that sorcerers never do because of the restrictive spells known that are suitable to the class. Now typically expected spells become better available with spell versatility.

No one is going to suddenly decide sorcerers are the better way to go because they can use more of their spell list and do something one would expect a sorcerer to do. Rituals, traditions, and spell preparation are still going to draw players to wizards.

As an example, teleportation circle.

A sorcerer is unlikely to pick it as a their first always spell of that level in a game with more combat than travel. The wizard in the party would normally pick it up.

But now, the wizard might pick 2 other spells, and rely in the sorcerer being able to swap it in overnight whenever they need to travel.

And?

First, why do we have a wizard and a sorcerer in the party as a standard against which to make such a comparison? Players tend to select one or the other and parties having both would be another example of the exception being portrayed as the standard.

More importantly, there's no point in putting teleportation circle on the sorcerer spell list at all if sorcerers are never going to take it because of spells known. These spells are added to the spell list for sorcerers because they are are expected to be taken and used but the mechanics prevents it from happening.

Spell versatility addresses that particular concern without simply adding more spells to the sorcerer's spells known and dipping into the wizard's more prepped vs known advantage.

There are lots of spells that having the ability is super powerful, even if having it right now is mildly useful. How many are on the sorcerer spell list is a fair bit or work that might be worth doing.

No there aren't. There are some cherry picked spells that make the ability more useful than simply swapping out a spell that turned out to be a dud for the campaign or outgrown due to leveling. The vast majority of spells are completely irrelevant.

NotAYakk

Legend
And?

First, why do we have a wizard and a sorcerer in the party as a standard against which to make such a comparison? Players tend to select one or the other and parties having both would be another example of the exception being portrayed as the standard.
I was simply listing spells which I, personally, would want to swap in. Either because I learn something about our upcoming foes before hand, or we have a problem I'd like to solve that would be harder than 24 hours of mundane work would require.

This turned out to be a substantial list, and almost all of them where things that a wizard used to be better at than a sorcerer. Now the wizard only has "same day" advantage.

This is a significant change in relative power. You might not care, but claiming it doesn't exist seems dishonest to me.
More importantly, there's no point in putting teleportation circle on the sorcerer spell list at all if sorcerers are never going to take it because of spells known. These spells are added to the spell list for sorcerers because they are are expected to be taken and used but the mechanics prevents it from happening.
The sorcerer who wants to be good at teleportation can pick it and dimension door. It is, however, a significant cost; to be "able" to teleport, they give up a known spell.

When making a "limited known spells" caster I feel the pain of burning spell known slots on "sometimes" abilities. And it makes me envy wizards, who don't have that same pain; it is a significant reason why I'm tempted to play a wizard spellcaster.

With this change, much of that pain goes away. A significant reason why I personally would make my next arcane caster character a wizard is removed.

Ashrym

Legend
I was simply listing spells which I, personally, would want to swap in. Either because I learn something about our upcoming foes before hand, or we have a problem I'd like to solve that would be harder than 24 hours of mundane work would require.

That requires the assumption of prior specific knowledge and time.

This turned out to be a substantial list, and almost all of them where things that a wizard used to be better at than a sorcerer. Now the wizard only has "same day" advantage.

That's misleading because the actual number of spells a wizard might not take is small, ignores changing multiple spells, ignores swapping lower level spells prepped for higher level spells prepped instead of giving up the higher level spell, and the spells on the wizard list that a sorcerer can never take.

When's the last time you saw a sorcerer take Leomund's Tiny Hut? Are they going to swap that in when it seems like a good idea? Alarm? Identify? Unseen Servant? Arcane Eye? Summoning spells in general? No they aren't, because they cannot.

Most of the sorcerer spells are on the wizard list, yes, but that doesn't give the wizard list to list to sorcerers. It only gives the sorcerer spell list to wizards. There are a lot of spells wizards commonly take that sorcerers will not have and cannot simply swap in.

This is a significant change in relative power. You might not care, but claiming it doesn't exist seems dishonest to me.

I believe I demonstrated my why it does not exist with points that continue to be ignored. Implying that I am being dishonest or not discussing the points in good faith is an insult instead of responding to those points and is not a rebuttal.

The fact that I specifically stated disagreeing is not a sign of not caring and then you repeated that I might not care indicates you are being deliberate making such comments instead of responding to points being made and this does not validate your argument in any way.

If you are interested in discussing the points being made I would be happy to go over them again. Some of them are included in this post.

The sorcerer who wants to be good at teleportation can pick it and dimension door. It is, however, a significant cost; to be "able" to teleport, they give up a known spell.

When making a "limited known spells" caster I feel the pain of burning spell known slots on "sometimes" abilities. And it makes me envy wizards, who don't have that same pain; it is a significant reason why I'm tempted to play a wizard spellcaster.

With this change, much of that pain goes away. A significant reason why I personally would make my next arcane caster character a wizard is removed.

It's a significant cost with some spells never getting selected. As I said, the spells are on the list because they are expected to be used. One of the most common house rules I see on these forums related to the issue is in significantly expanding the sorcerer spells known list and that also makes the pain go away over a few spells. In that case, however, the change is in always having more options all the time, not just in the odd situation where it might come up or during downtime activities.

Spell versatility is more restrictive than increasing spells know, which is a common house rule.

NotAYakk

Legend
Inappropriate language. And, going forward, please treat yoru fellow posters with respect, even if they do things that annoy you.
That requires the assumption of prior specific knowledge and time.
Unimaginative cussing! We are talking about spell preparation for the next day. That is this entire topic. This is what we are talking about. The topic of discussion is about the ability to prepare spells for the next day. We are talking about next day preparation. Why would you "this assumes the topic we are talking about is the topic we are talking about" on the 20th post on the subject?

Saying useless words again and again and again isn't helping the discussion.

Mod Edit: In appropriate language removed. Please treat folks with respect. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sorcerers aren't going to be changing spells daily. That's part of the inherent flaw in the arguments against spell versatility. They'll only be changing a particular spell maybe if an incentive to do so comes up.
You've been relying pretty heavily on this assumption (or conclusion? assertion?) something about it has been bothering me...

Changing out the entire list (which is pointless) during downtime still has zero impact on your first point in gameplay.
If the choice of a set of spells known has any meaning at all, then, so must a different choice, including an entirely different choice.

So, I think what you're saying is there is no meaningful choice involved in picking known spells (nor wizards' prepped spells), that, in essence, there's one wizard, one sorcerer, etc, period.

Obviously, being able to swap out spells to pick the optimal spell for the coming situation, or customize your list to be optimal for the campaign through a period of downtime would be irrelevant if the only purpose they'd serve would be taking a second shot at a failed optimization attempt - in essence, you're working from the assumption that the spell-selection mini-game is a solved game. So the ability to swap out spells is just a way of correcting mistakes, not an improvement in any real sense, as all casters of a given class & level are already the same, if played correctly.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend

Again, I really don't think your list demonstrates this very well.

I'm going to take Sunbeam, which you put on this list.

Sunbeam is death against certain undead and anything with sunlight sensitivity. 60 ft line with 6d8 damage, half on save and a Blind rider, which can be repeated every single turn.

I likely grab this spell... just in general. For every sorcerer. It is a repeatable action, good damage, can hit multiple targets. And at 6th level what are my competitive spells for damage at 6th level?

Disintergration -> More damage, but if it misses does nothing, and single action

Chain Lighting -> Little more damage, with save for half, but only a single action and hits 4 targets

For potentially nine levels, I get a single 6th level spell. Every time I get to learn a new spell after this is when I get a new spell level to fill.

Why would I not take Sunbeam which can extend that single slot into an entire encounter and define that encounter?

And this is the problem I am trying to explain. You can say the sorcerer will swap this spell in and out (depending on circumstances) but other than being a Storm or Blue Dragon sorcerer that focuses on lightning damage, I can't think of a single reason to not take sunbeam and to take one of these others instead. It is good enough that in terms of "I want a combat spell" there is only one choice, especially because I only get one choice.

Spit take

rereads section

Why in the world are we talking about reducing pain as a bad thing?

I would think reading something and thinking "that makes this class less painful to play" would be celebrated. Especially since that pain drives you away from playing the class, and losing that pain makes you more likely to play it. By your own admission.

Why is that bad? I truly have no idea what to say to this.

You've been relying pretty heavily on this assumption (or conclusion? assertion?) something about it has been bothering me...

If the choice of a set of spells known has any meaning at all, then, so must a different choice, including an entirely different choice.

So, I think what you're saying is there is no meaningful choice involved in picking known spells (nor wizards' prepped spells), that, in essence, there's one wizard, one sorcerer, etc, period.

Obviously, being able to swap out spells to pick the optimal spell for the coming situation, or customize your list to be optimal for the campaign through a period of downtime would be irrelevant if the only purpose they'd serve would be taking a second shot at a failed optimization attempt - in essence, you're working from the assumption that the spell-selection mini-game is a solved game. So the ability to swap out spells is just a way of correcting mistakes, not an improvement in any real sense, as all casters of a given class & level are already the same, if played correctly.

I would say, in part, this is somewhat true for Sorcerers. There are lots of guides and discussions revolving around "I am playing X sorcerer, what spells should I take" and it is heavily regimented and discussed. More so that almost any other class, to the point where most people will even say that you should not play a sorcerer to do damage, because sorcerers who focus on control is easier to play well, and you should take these spells and avoid these other spells like the plague.

Yes, every class and build and spell list is analyzed, but I have never seen any other class given as few paths and choices as sorcerers get.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would say, in part, this is somewhat true for Sorcerers. There are lots of guides and discussions revolving around "I am playing X sorcerer, what spells should I take" and it is heavily regimented and discussed. More so that almost any other class, to the point where most people will even say that you should not play a sorcerer to do damage, because sorcerers who focus on control is easier to play well, and you should take these spells and avoid these other spells like the plague.

Yes, every class and build and spell list is analyzed, but I have never seen any other class given as few paths and choices as sorcerers get.
That's interesting. Thanks for the perspective.

And this is the problem I am trying to explain. You can say the sorcerer will swap this spell in and out (depending on circumstances) but other than being a Storm or Blue Dragon sorcerer that focuses on lightning damage, I can't think of a single reason to not take sunbeam and to take one of these others instead. It is good enough that in terms of "I want a combat spell" there is only one choice, especially because I only get one choice.
What about non-combat?

If the campaign shifts for a while into an investigative or an intrigue scenario or an exploration scenario, might you want True Seeing or Mass Suggestion instead, for instance?

And, I mean, what if Sunbeam or Disintegrate or something is just dead-on for my Sorcerer concept, but, then, we have a quite few days leading into a story arc where Mass Suggestion or even, IDK, Move Earth, say, totally inappropriate to concept, would it really be that great to essentially be nagged to break concept on a daily basis?

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
Why would I not take Sunbeam which can extend that single slot into an entire encounter and define that encounter?
You have other uses for concentration? Or, as noted, you have large bonuses to other kinds of damage.

Spit take

rereads section

Why in the world are we talking about reducing pain as a bad thing?

I would think reading something and thinking "that makes this class less painful to play" would be celebrated. Especially since that pain drives you away from playing the class, and losing that pain makes you more likely to play it. By your own admission.

Why is that bad? I truly have no idea what to say to this.
Pain means that the choice matters. Pain means a real limitation. The fact that I have to decide "do I burn an entire spell known so I can cast Legend Lore" (on a bard) is a serious, serious consideration I have to make.

A pain-free situation says "cast any spell at any point"; the spells known restriction goes away. There is no cost to a choice -- no alternative that I'm pained by missing -- when there is an excess of resources or some choices that simply dominate others.

The relief from that pain -- having to decide which spells I know and what I don't -- is the main attraction of the wizard class over the other arcane casters. A similar relief is the main attraction of the tome warlock over the others (all the ritual spells!)

Restrictions, if meaningful, are painful. They hurt that you have that restriction.

And yes, I want my classes to have meaningful restrictions. I want there to be a real choice, and picking either option is painful, because I intensely miss what I'd get if I made the other choice.

With Wizards, I miss sorcerer metamagic most of all. I miss bard spell poaching, inspiration, expertise, and weapon skills, and jack of all trades. Those are also painful things to miss.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Pain means that the choice matters. Pain means a real limitation. The fact that I have to decide "do I burn an entire spell known so I can cast Legend Lore" (on a bard) is a serious, serious consideration I have to make.

A pain-free situation says "cast any spell at any point"; the spells known restriction goes away. There is no cost to a choice -- no alternative that I'm pained by missing -- when there is an excess of resources or some choices that simply dominate others.

The relief from that pain -- having to decide which spells I know and what I don't -- is the main attraction of the wizard class over the other arcane casters. A similar relief is the main attraction of the tome warlock over the others (all the ritual spells!)

Restrictions, if meaningful, are painful. They hurt that you have that restriction.

And yes, I want my classes to have meaningful restrictions. I want there to be a real choice, and picking either option is painful, because I intensely miss what I'd get if I made the other choice.

With Wizards, I miss sorcerer metamagic most of all. I miss bard spell poaching, inspiration, expertise, and weapon skills, and jack of all trades. Those are also painful things to miss.

But you are talking about different things here.

"With Wizards I miss sorcerer metamagic" is the change between classes.

"With sorcerer I miss being able to pick spells without pain" is an indication that the very act of playing the spellcaster is a painful experience.

I've never picked a fighter and felt pain over picking dueling or great weapon styles. I've never felt pain over which battlemaster manuevers to take. Because each choice is meaningful, but each choice is actually a choice.

I don't feel pain when I make a balanced choice in the game. I am gaining something and choosing not to gain something else.

Sorcerers tend to feel like "what am I sacrificing" which doesn't make them interesting or good. It just makes them hard. And leads to people narrowing down their choices drastically. I don't look at the sorcerer spell list and think "what spells might be useful and fun" I think "which spells are niche enough I don't need them" "Which spells can I get away with not having" "When do I drop my 1st level spells so I can get more 3rd level options."

One of the most common pieces of advice I've seen for Sorcerers is that by around mid level you stop having 1st and 2nd level spells. You sacrifice those slots for points so you can use your metamagic and make more mid level slots, because it just isn't worth it to have those spells compared to actually being able to have higher level spells.

That does not sound like a "healthy choice" that sounds more like Saw.

Remove ads