D&D 5E Unarmed Strike. One damage plus strength?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Reasonable? Yes it is.

Because otherwise, as it is written, Joe is absolutely right and it should only ever be 1 damage. It has nothing to do with "consistency with earlier editions" but rather the written rules of this edition.

If that is what we were talking about you might have a point. However, I was referring to your post:

Joe is right, going by what is written. If they had intended it to be otherwise, they should have used the term "D1," to make it consistent with their previous writings on how STR modifiers are added to damage rolls.

Where the point YOU brought up is the d1 is consistent for previous editions. And since no edition had routine use of d1, and only one previous edition made a big deal if the damage was rolled or static, I maintain that it is not a reasonable interpretation to expect a d1 to remain consistent with earlier editions. A different point then you seem to be addressing here.

If you want to talk solely about this edition, I do understand how a "1" doesn't seem to be a "roll" and can be confusing. The most official source of clarification we currently have says it adds, so it could be a good thing to clarify in errata so others don't have this confusion.

Remove ads