Uncanny Dodge and the Dodge bonus - Yes or No?

Kemrain

First Post
This is a little off topic, but...

Uncanny Dodge lets you retain your Dex bonus to AC when your are flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker. However, you still lose your Dex bonus if immobilized.

What about the other times you lose your Dex bonus? When Running? When Grappeling? When Climbing? When Balancing?

My GM and I have rules that "Rogues get their Dex bonus unless Pinned in a grapple, Paralized, or bound in place." Is this ruling incorrect?

- Kemrain the Uncanny.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
woodelf said:
When it says "A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus..." does it mean specifically "A condition that makes your particular character, given whatever abilities she may have, lose her Dexterity bonus" or the more general "A condition that would make one lose one's Dexterity bonus"?

It says "you" and "your", doesn't it?

A condition that causes other people to lose their Dex bonuses, but does not cause you to lose your Dex bonus, does not fit the criteria.

-Hyp.

ruleslawyer

woodelf said:
No, you lose your dodge bonus in situations where you lose your Dex bonus--there's no "because" or other subordinating conjunction in there. It's a subtle difference, which may be one of sloppy wording, or of different meaning. Unless you can find me a citation that explicitly says "because you lose your Dex bonus to AC, you lose your dodge boni to AC"--everything i've found so far, or that has been cited in this thread, doesn't tell us whether it's a causal or correlative relationship.
I didn't suggest that a "because" was necessary, woodelf. A correlative relationship is sufficient to reach the conclusion I did. Two simple quotes:

"A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses."

"She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker."

When does a character lose his dodge bonus to AC? When he is exposed to a condition that makes him lose his Dex bonus to AC.

Does a rogue with UD lose his Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker? No.

Thus, has the character been exposed to "[a] condition that makes [him] lose [his] Dexterity bonus to AC"? No.

Thus, does the character lose his dodge bonuses? Clearly, no.

If the rule stated that "a condition that normally would make you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses," then I'd say it'd be at least somewhat ambiguous in favor of loss of dodge bonuses. But that's not what the rule says. In fact, it creates a strict correlative relationship between actual loss of Dex bonus and loss of dodge bonus; no actual loss of Dex bonus therefore means no loss of dodge bonuses.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Precisely. The entire "giv[ing Dex bonus] back" concept is a pure construct that has no support in the rules. The rules are clear: Having uncanny dodge means that you are not denied your Dex bonus when flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. Since you lose dodge bonuses when you are denied your Dex bonus, and not under any other listed condition, and you are NOT denied your Dex bonus when you have uncanny dodge, you do not lose your dodge bonus. QED.
I agree also.

Jhulae

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I agree also.

I'll agree, but note that the Dodge feat (which I'm assuming this might apply to) does require you to choose an opponent to Dodge as a free action on your turn.

So, in the first round of combat or during a surprise round in which your character hasn't gone yet, you still have your Dex bonus to your AC, plus any misc/general dodge bonuses, but not the Dodge feat dodge bonus, as you haven't selected an opponent to dodge yet.

woodelf

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
I didn't suggest that a "because" was necessary, woodelf. A correlative relationship is sufficient to reach the conclusion I did. Two simple quotes:

"A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses."

"She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker."

[snip]
If the rule stated that "a condition that normally would make you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses," then I'd say it'd be at least somewhat ambiguous in favor of loss of dodge bonuses. But that's not what the rule says. In fact, it creates a strict correlative relationship between actual loss of Dex bonus and loss of dodge bonus; no actual loss of Dex bonus therefore means no loss of dodge bonuses.
My point is that the actual statement of the rules (not necessarily anything you or anyone else has said in this thread when not quoting the rules verbatim) is poorly worded, and can legitimately be read as either "a condition that normally would make you lose Dex bonus also makes you lose dodge bonus" or as "if a condition makes you lose Dex bonus, you also lose dodge bonus". I concur that the intended reading of the rules is that if you don't lose your Dex bonus, you don't lose your dodge bonus. But i do not agree that the rules, read literally, are clear on that matter. The word choice and grammar used makes it ambiguous, not as a matter of game rules, but as a matter of grammar. It is unclear from sentence structure alone whether the correlation is between the condition (regardless of whether that particular character loses Dex bonus) and the dodge bonus loss, or between the Dex bonus loss and the dodge bonus loss. And since the rules consistently use the 2nd person, one cannot be sure that the use of 2nd person in the first quote, above, refers specifically to the character in question, vice a generalized character in that position.

A: "A situation that causes you to fnoozle also causes you to garblesnatch. Being tubbled is one of those situations."
B: "Even when tubbled, you do not fnoozle."

So, given A, clearly you must garblesnatch and fnoozle.
But if A&B apply to your character, you are clearly not fnoozled. But you're still tubbled, and the rules can be read to say that tubbling causes you to be fnoozled and garblesnatched (as well as being read to say that being tubbled causes you to be fnoozled, and being fnoozled causes you to be garblesnatched).

Note that A can be restated as "When tubbled, you are fnoozled and garblesnatched." IOW, the wording in the rules could simply be shorthand for restating the same rule dozens of times, for all the various 'tubblings', which would reasonably explain its wording and structure, without necessarily meaning that avoiding fnoozling also avoids garblesnatching.

glass

(he, him)
Ourph said:
To be clear, the example in question had the rogue with uncanny dodge facing an invisible opponent he was unaware of.

I find it very strange that the rules would call for a character to get his Mobility AC bonus and his Fighting Defensively AC bonus vs. an opponent he cannot see and isn't aware of. Therefore, I interpret the rules differently.

Very strange, indeed. You might even say Uncanny :D

glass.

glass

(he, him)
Elder-Basilisk said:
Yeah, it's almost uncanny the way rogues and barbarians can dodge blows from foes they're unaware of isn't it. Maybe that's why it's called UNCANNY dodge.

Oops, beaten to the punch.

Sorry.

glass.

Remove ads