• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Uncanny Dodge (Rogue)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Mike Mearls says this ability works against everything that does damage when he was giving rules advice. Pretty much everything from breath weapons to spells to special attacks. It works with everything. Look it up in one of the older interviews on this very sight. I was careful to look it up myself because attack in small letters makes me think specific like 3E requires. Attack and weapon are not as specific in 5E. Attack in regards to Uncanny Dodge in 5E pretty much means anything that does damage. The rogue using his reaction can pretty much avoid the brunt of any damaging attack it be it spell, breath weapon, psionics, and the like. He's just good at avoiding a big hit. I like it. Feels very story or movie like.

Older Sage discussion with Mike Mearls archived on this site is where you'll find it mentioned along with other game (and rogue specific) questions answered.

Uller

Adventurer
That would not be relevant here in any case because in 5e casting any spell will break invisibility.

If a breath weapon is not an attack, then it doesn't break invisibility. I'm with Mr Mearls here...an attack is anything intended to do harm to a target, be it a breath weapon, a ranged weapon, a melee weapon or a spell (or even using something in the environment such as spilling a caldron full of burning pitch on an area).

It doesn't make uncanny dodge over powered because it requires a reaction, so you can only do it once per round anyway.

Joe Liker

First Post
If a breath weapon is not an attack, then it doesn't break invisibility. I'm with Mr Mearls here...an attack is anything intended to do harm to a target, be it a breath weapon, a ranged weapon, a melee weapon or a spell (or even using something in the environment such as spilling a caldron full of burning pitch on an area).

It doesn't make uncanny dodge over powered because it requires a reaction, so you can only do it once per round anyway.
Mike Mearls did not say Uncanny Dodge works against all magic. He said it works against "spell attacks," a term that has a very specific meaning in the 5e lexicon.

In 5e, spellcasters have a "spell attack modifier," which only comes into play for a very specific subset of spells. It was these spells that Mr. Mearls was referring to in his tweet.

It is important to look at the reasons some actions use attack rolls, while others use Dexterity saving throws. An attack roll involves a singular weapon, projectile, or blob of magic coming directly at a single target (or multiple blobs coming at one or more targets, as with scorching ray). The Dexterity saving throw is used for wide-area physical effects that aren't directed at a specific individual.

Breath weapons and area spells are already covered by the rogue's Evasion class feature. They should not be additionally mitigated by Uncanny Dodge. That would, indeed, cause Uncanny Dodge to become overpowered.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'd go with the standard "only spells requiring a melee/range attack" as a reference or starting point only, and then possibly override (in either direction) depending on the specific spell's description.

For example, dodging a psionic effect would sound very dorky.

pepticburrito

First Post

Page 194 of the PHB, under Making an Attack: "If there’s ever any question whether something you’re doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you’re making an attack roll, you’re making an attack."

That couldn't be any clearer. Attacks require attack rolls. It's that simple.

You're right, breath weapons don't break invisibility. They aren't attacks.

Remove ads