Unconcious = Willing?

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
The spell "Benign Transposition" has a target selection of "Two willing characters" and a save of "None".

Now, if a front line fighter goes unconcious during battle, and the cleric volunteers to be transposed in order for the mage to help stabilize the fighter, would the fighter be considered "willing"?

Dracorat

First Post
Usually the default stance is that all friendly characters are willing recipients of any spell cast by a friendly character (even potentially harmful ones) and all others are unwilling recipients.

However, there is no official (RAW) definition (to my knowledge at least) of what officially constitutes "willing".

Pyrex

First Post
SRD said:
Some spells restrict you to willing targets only. Declaring yourself as a willing target is something that can be done at any time (even if you’re flat-footed or it isn’t your turn). Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing.

Emphasis mine.

Edit: Which means in addition to being able to cast Benign Transposition on an unconscious ally, you can cast it on an unconscious foe...

Lackhand

First Post
While I agree with the interpretation of my favorite orcish proverb ("The unconscious are always willing!"), this does raise some interesting questions.

If you're willing, do you get a saving throw against whatever the effect might be?
Signs point to no.

Doesn't that mean that you don't receive a save versus any effect -- fireball when unconscious (which is perhaps fair, since that's a little silly) -- when unconscious?
Relevantly, what about the Nightmare spell?

Discuss. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lackhand said:
If you're willing, do you get a saving throw against whatever the effect might be?
Signs point to no.

There's a difference between "Willing creature" and "creature foregoing saving throw".

Most spells that affect "One willing creature" or whatever permit no saving throw.

I can be a willing creature, yet still roll Will saves to which I am entitled.

An unconscious creature is a valid target for Levitate (target: one willing creature), but he will still get to make a Will save against Inflict Light Wounds. Indeed, he must; in order to forego his save, he must elect to do so, and while unconscious, he isn't making any decisions.

The exception is Harmless spells, where you can choose to make a saving throw (if one is permitted), but the default is that you do not. So a conscious person can elect to make a saving throw against, say, Darkvision; but if they are unconscious, they cannot make that decision, and so the spell takes effect.

Regarding fireball in particular, and Reflex saves in general, I hold that an unconscious creature cannot make them; an unconscious creature is helpless, with an effective Dex of 0, and is therefore considered paralyzed, and cannot move.

Per the text of Evasion, a creature must have room to move in order to make a Reflex save.

And if a creature cannot move, then no amount of room is sufficient 'room to move', prohibiting Reflex saves.

This is not a universally held position, however :)

-Hyp.

Dracorat

First Post
Actually in regards to saving throws, it has been stated directly in the FAQ:
Exactly when can a character make a Reflex saving throw? The saving throw section on the Player’s Handbook
says Reflex saves depend on a character’s ability to dodge
out of the way. Does that mean you can’t make Reflex saves
if you can’t move?

A character can attempt a Reflex save anytime she is
subjected to an effect that allows a Reflex save. A Reflex save
usually involves some dodging, but a Reflex save does not
depend completely on a character’s ability to move around. It
also can depend on luck, variations in the effect that makes the
save necessary in the first place, and a host of other miraculous
factors that keep heroic characters in the D&D game from
meeting an untimely fate.
In most cases, you make Reflex saves normally, no matter
how bad your circumstances are, but a few conditions interfere
with Reflex saves:
• If you’ve suffered Dexterity damage or Dexterity
drain, you must use your current, lower Dexterity
modifier for your Reflex saves.
• If you’re cowering, you lose your Dexterity bonus (if
any). The maximum Dexterity bonus you can have
while cowering is +0, and that affects your Reflex
saves accordingly.
• If you’re dead, you become an object. Unattended
objects can’t make saving throws.
• If you’re entangled, your effective Dexterity score
drops by –4, and you must use your lower Dexterity
modifier for Reflex saves.
• If you’re exhausted, your effective Strength and
Dexterity scores drop by –6, and you must use your
lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
• If you’re fatigued, your effective Strength and
Dexterity scores drop by –2, and you must use your
lower Dexterity modifier for Reflex saves.
• If you’re frightened or panicked, you have a –2
penalty on all saving throws, including Reflex saving
throws.
If you’re helpless, your Dexterity score is effectively
0. You still can make Reflex saves, but your
Dexterity modifier is –5. You’re helpless whenever
you are paralyzed, unconscious, or asleep.

Remove ads