• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Understanding Passive Checks

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I dunno, when the party rogue hides and makes a Stealth check and all I have to do is compare that to the passive Perceptions of all the monsters instead of making an entire Perception check for each of them, I feel like it speeds up game play without losing anything. That's definitely a redeeming feature even if it is outweighed by the negatives.

CapnZapp

Legend
Never give the +5 for advantage to run of the mill guards and such.

Unless you actively want to screw the players over.

It's simple. Either you allow the party rogue a roll or you don't.

If those guards really can't be bypassed, then why roll? Instead simply tell the rogue player he can't hide or sneak here, and move on to resolve combat.

But don't make the roll and give the player a 50% chance or less.

That's entrapment, pure and simple. At least be upfront. Say you think it can't be done to let the player know his hero will probably be unheroic if he does try.

Much better to simply drop that particular strategy and let the party plan something else.

Because you do intend the party to succeed, don't you?

If all you want to accomplish is set the party up for failure, you're not playing the game the way I do, and I can't help you or your players..

Paraxis

Explorer
Never give the +5 for advantage to run of the mill guards and such.

Unless you actively want to screw the players over.

It's simple. Either you allow the party rogue a roll or you don't.

If those guards really can't be bypassed, then why roll? Instead simply tell the rogue player he can't hide or sneak here, and move on to resolve combat.

But don't make the roll and give the player a 50% chance or less.

That's entrapment, pure and simple. At least be upfront. Say you think it can't be done to let the player know his hero will probably be unheroic if he does try.

Much better to simply drop that particular strategy and let the party plan something else.

Because you do intend the party to succeed, don't you?

If all you want to accomplish is set the party up for failure, you're not playing the game the way I do, and I can't help you or your players..

What? Where is any of this coming from?

Nemio

First Post
Just adding that according to Mike Mearls Passive Perception is always active even when you roll but a DM might determine otherwise.

Any skill can be used passively - it's up the DM to apply that as needed.

For perception checks, you passive result is always in effect. If you could see something with a DC 10 check and your passive is 11, you see it without rolling.

Keep in mind, though, that a DM might rule otherwise. Passive checks are a tool that groups can use to speed up the game or move past die results that slow things down or lead to a grind.

http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2l69tp/ama_mike_mearls_codesigner_of_dd_5_head_of_dd_rd/

wedgeski

Adventurer
Just adding that according to Mike Mearls Passive Perception is always active even when you roll but a DM might determine otherwise.
This is also my interpretation, although I must admit I'm forcing rolls when I should just be allowing the passive score to mean success (e.g. climbing ropes, that kind of thing). I'll look out for that in future.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So passive perception is functioning(at least really close) like the ye olde "take 10" function from older editions!

Yep. It's meant to simulate the wariness of adventurers. In the case of rogues, the otherworldly, yet mundane, awareness of a supreme scout or rogue, the man that sees every ambush and every trap. That's why I like it so much. I hated a bad roll making it seem like you weren't very perceptive.

CapnZapp

Legend
What? Where is any of this coming from?
You can use or not use the passive values pretty much however you like, and nothing gets broken.

With one exception: routinely or even semi-routinely ruling the guards have advantage on their passive checks.

This sets the party rogue up for failure. The situation should simply not come up. Whenever this would be the case, something in the communication between DM and players have broken down. There is a better way.

I wasnt responding directly to you or anyone else.

Just saying a passive score of 16 or upwards should mean a high level threat, not some bummy militiamen who's "alert"

Paraxis

Explorer
I do agree a lone guard on watch shouldn't get advantage just because the DM thinks they are alert, being alert is part of the job.

But lots of things can give advantage, and advantage does apply to passive scores.

Working together in groups gives advantage, keen senses gives advantage, other factors determined by DM.

So a group of guards would have advantage on passive perception, for a score of 12+5=17.

A mastiff guard dog has keen hearing and smell, so trying to sneak up on one would mean getting past 13+5=18 passive perception.

A DC 15 is a moderate check, a DC 20 is hard.

I don't see how these fall outside of those parameters, it should be that hard to get past a group of guards or past a watch dog.

Remove ads