D&D 5E Underwater interest (Closed)

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Interested, though race variants are the sticking point. Maybe make a merfolk race that is a variant human with a "feat" of water breathing and a swim speed and pressure immunity

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Attributes: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 5, 4] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 4, 1, 2] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 5, 2] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 6, 3, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 5, 6, 3] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 1, 6] = 13

Not stellar, but functional. How do you plan handling prone condition in underwater campaign? Will push work? Moving something 15' through the water is MUCH more difficult than pushing someone for the same distance through the air

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16 (14+2 racial)
INT 11
WIS 14 (13+1 racial)
CHA 13

4th level ASI Lucky feat

Fighter Battlemaster 5

tglassy

Adventurer
Underwater interest

Interested, though race variants are the sticking point. Maybe make a merfolk race that is a variant human with a "feat" of water breathing and a swim speed and pressure immunity

In my opinion, that is what the Water Genasi are. They don’t have pressure immunity, that’s reserved for Triton, but not every fish is immune to great pressure. Just being able to breath water will alleviate the problems with pressure to a certain point. Once they go deep enough, they’ll have issues, but I’d like that to be a trait To make Triton more appealing in this case.

After all, if I added a Feat of Water Breathing for Variant Human, what are you getting over just choosing a Water Genasi? One less ability point, and a skill instead of magic? I suppose you can put your ability points where you want them, but seeing as Constituents would be the score to help with deep sea exploration, Genasi are really better anyway. The point of Human Variant is to get a free feat, and this would waste that.

And I don’t see why pushing wouldn’t work if you have a swim speed. Swim speed, IMO, means you are able to move underwater just as fast as on land. Dolphins push people easily enough.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
And I don’t see why pushing wouldn’t work if you have a swim speed. Swim speed, IMO, means you are able to move underwater just as fast as on land. Dolphins push people easily enough.

I meant pushing as in shove maneuver or push battlemaster maneuver - one that makes someone fly away...that simply shouldn't work underwater...just as thrown weapons don't work and any similar "not-shot-from-a-crossbow" thing doesn't work

tglassy

Adventurer
I’m sorry. This is why I shouldn’t post that early in the morning.

Um...yeah, things like that will be much more difficult. Forced movement would still work, but likely be cut in half.

Also, prone isn’t really a thing in weightless environments. Technically, every time you move, you’re prone, as you’re going headfirst. However, I imagine it might be easier to Stun a creature underwater. I’ll think about that.

tglassy

Adventurer
I’m beginning to have ideas.

I like the idea of a sunken city, ruins filled with forgotten treasure and unseen danger. I’d need to know who everyone is to know where’re to begin.

And since there is a bit of interest, let’s move forward. I’ll try to create a short introductory adventure, something we can get through quick enough to test the mechanics and see if we want to go forward. I’ll post the character gen info in a bit.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Sounds very interesting, and my mind is swimming (hehe ) with possibilities.

Not sure if I’ll play yet, but I’m definitely interested.

EarlyBird

Explorer
In my main (IRL) campaign, the conflict between the home city of the party (a very large trading port) and an underwater race (squid-men, backed up by krakens) is an important background element.

Nice I like the way that story might play out. Wonder about why the conflict (could lead to good a story), its not like they are fighting over territory, lol

EarlyBird

Explorer
Attributes: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 5, 4] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 4, 1, 2] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 5, 2] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 6, 3, 6] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 5, 6, 3] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 2, 1, 6] = 13

Not stellar, but functional. How do you plan handling prone condition in underwater campaign? Will push work? Moving something 15' through the water is MUCH more difficult than pushing someone for the same distance through the air

STR 16
DEX 14
CON 16 (14+2 racial)
INT 11
WIS 14 (13+1 racial)
CHA 13

4th level ASI Lucky feat

Fighter Battlemaster 5

See those are questions that I need answered for other games. When the group enter the Plane of Water, all kinds of stuff like that will come up.

I'm in - making character tonight- 6 more hours of work ahead of me, *sigh* Triton Druid Circle of "Land" yesh right.

tglassy

Adventurer
Sounds perfect!

I know there’s a lot of thought on magic underwater, specifically lightning and fire and cold.

So, turns out the player handbook says a creature completely submerged in water has resistance to fire, so for fire I’m just going with that. No need to nerf it further.

I’m thinking electrical damage also stuns the victim on a failed DC 10 Con Save.

Cold probably works like normal, I’ll think about it.

Also, the spell Create or Destroy Water, when used to destroy water, actually converts it to oxygen and hydrogen, creating a big bubble. Could be used to create an air pocket. W highly flammable air pocket.

Remove ads